Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
Class C Levelers

I have search and most auto leveler discussions are on Class A. I have a 28 foot Class C on a Ford E450 chassis. I would like to get some input on which auto or manual level systems would be the best. Also the Class C that have levelers are you happy you have them or would you be happy with blocks.

I level my rig with blocks but as soon as the slide comes out it leans a little. I have a 18 inch x 14 foot slide that is located more towards the front. It is a Freedom Elite 28H which is the same as a Fourwinds 28Z.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-24-2019, 03:09 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
We looked into auto levelers for our 24F on an E450 chassis. HWH and Bigfoot are available and rather pricy. Especially when installed.

We bought a LevelmatePro sensor for less than $150. We mostly boondock, so rarely in a level campsite. We drive in to our selected location, read the Levelmate app on our smartphone that gives the inches to raise each corner, place blocks accordingly, drive on, slide out and stabilizers down. DONE! We have a 3' x 20' slide that tilts the chassis when slide is deployed. The LevelmatePro compensates for this when you do the initial setup/calibration of the sensor.

A couple sets of lego blocks and a Levelmate sensor for less than $300, beats an auto leveler system installed for $7,400 quoted to us. $7k goes along way for fuel.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:19 AM   #3

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
My Outlaw is 31’ on the 450 and came with factory installed lippert class c hydraulics. I love love loooove the quick leveling. Only complaint is the jacks sit too low and scrape on dips and speed bumps if I’m not careful, or go at an angle if needed. I’ve had helpful people at gas stations come tell me I ‘forgot’ to raise my jacks. No, no I haven’t. They’re at the highest spot they can go on the undercarriage. Some have had the coach lifted to compensate- I’ve considered it.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

THOR #1929
DBLEDUTCH,

What type of stabilizers do you use.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We had a Big Foot system installed on our 26 ft class C. It's their "Silver" system. The jacks deploy until making contact with the ground then you manually finish leveling. After seeing all the complaints of Lippert systems needing recalibrated all the time I didn't see the extra money for an automatic system although Big Foot's may not have the issue. We are VERY happy with our system. Setting up is simple and the coach is much more solid when the jacks are down. I'll never own another coach without levelers.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
We had a Big Foot system installed on our 26 ft class C. It's their "Silver" system. The jacks deploy until making contact with the ground then you manually finish leveling. After seeing all the complaints of Lippert systems needing recalibrated all the time I didn't see the extra money for an automatic system although Big Foot's may not have the issue. We are VERY happy with our system. Setting up is simple and the coach is much more solid when the jacks are down. I'll never own another coach without levelers.
Agreed. Way to go.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

THOR #16883
What would be a simple and very affordable way to add stabilizers?

My 25' does not have any. Would it work to simply add those scissor lifts on each corner of the box, and then level manually?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
We also had the Bigfoot system installed on our 30FE. I our case, the Platinum system.
We already had the Level Mate Pro installed, so leveling can be done very easily now, in the dry, without getting dirty crawling around with blocks or ramps.
Very happy!
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We also had the Bigfoot system installed on our 30FE. I our case, the Platinum system.
We already had the Level Mate Pro installed, so leveling can be done very easily now, in the dry, without getting dirty crawling around with blocks or ramps.
Very happy!
have the level mate as well as the platinum. The auto version doesn't make any sense and not worth the money. It tends to lift the front rather than lower the rear to make it level, lifting the wheels off the ground is not a good thing.

Awesome when its raining or muddy you don't even need to get out of the rig to level. Get the snap pads, better footprint.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got Equalizers on my Class C...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:03 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
DBLEDUTCH,

What type of stabilizers do you use.
Our Thor Chateau 24F came with (I think Lippert) electric stabilizers for the rear only.

Don't let me put cold water on your search for levelers. As others said- I still go outside and position blocks in whatever weather, but now we get it right the first time. No more, up on blocks, check level and frown, off blocks re-adjust, up on blocks, check & frown...….

I liked the Bigfoot, but was not ready to install them myself. Maybe some day or our next RV.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

THOR #1929
Does anyone have any problem with ground clearence who own the bigfoot being that a class c does not have much clearance to start with.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #13

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
We make sure to pay attention to gas stations and such. Have only scraped a jack once on a very steep approach to a camp site in Colorado. Moving slow on a dirt road the scrape was no problem. Have not had any issues on pavement, I do avoid speed bumps. But I do that in any vehicle. We had our system installed at the Bigfoot factory in Michigan. They mount the jacks as high as possible.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Does anyone have any problem with ground clearence who own the bigfoot being that a class c does not have much clearance to start with.
So far so good. More concerned with road debris.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
At home, We park our Class C in the back yard. To do this, we must drive over the curb at the street. I did not have any clearance issues until I installed Snap Pads on the feet of the levelers. I’ve had one of the rear Snap Pad come off because it’s added height caused one to hit the curb and pop off. I’m considering doing some modifications to the curb.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
My Thor Vegas seems to have a low clearance. In July I added HWH flip down levelers. They are great. When I was researching levelers, one thing that scared me was a malfunction where they would not retract. If that happens with the flip down, you just drive slowly forward and springs flip them back up. There were expensive. About $4500, but I use them every trip. I plan to keep my RV for years.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #17

THOR #1929
Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Clearance issues should be pretty infrequent...
After all: they mount them so close to the axles; that your wheels should have walked you up and over anything that moight be in the way.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #19

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Big foot

I went to Michigan and had the platinum series installed on a sprinter chateau 24hl. We love it the cylinders deploy and you have to manually level but it's over a 1000 less than full automatic.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #20

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
Thumbs up

I wanted to tell you I had Big Foot Platinum installed recently on our 2018 Vegas 27.7. We are totally happy. I did not go with the automatic system after seeing the recalibration that might need to be done. We also set out rig up so the front is slightly down and the left is slightly down. Our Black tank empties towards the front and we like the A/C run off to the drivers side of the coach. So I set the coach up that way. Then I set my levels so that they show level in that position. The system levels quick and easy. The refreg. in this condition is well within the recommendations for proper cooling. The system is very much worth the expense. Do and you will never be sorry.
if you are anywhere near Lakeland FL call Roy 855-819-5966 at Big Foot System of FL. He will take care of you. It takes about 7 hours to install, but it is done correctly.
GO FOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!