Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Speakers

I replaced the dash mounted Axxera radio with a Kenwood unit w/XM Radio today (a task that I hope I don’t have to repeat anytime soon).
In the course of checking everything out, I discovered that one of the cabin speakers had gone bad.
After I assured myself the wiring was good, I swapped the l/h and r/h speakers to confirm it was actually the speaker that was at fault.
The removed speaker is stamped as a Magnadyne p/n AS800W.
A search on the internet has failed to discover anything about this part number other than a new product bulletin from 2006 that identified this speaker as a 5 1/4” Dual Cone Speaker. My guess is that Magnadyne discontinued this speaker line. Apparently Thor has/had a large stock of these speakers and is using them up to depletion.
In trying to find a substitute speaker that fits the same hole as the failed speaker, I became confused as to how they size speakers. Apparently the 5-1/4” refers to the hole size required for the speaker as the actual speaker that I have measures 6-3/8” in diameter.
Has anyone else run across an issue like this. If so, what did you replace your speakers with. I hope I don’t have to modify the cabinets the speakers are installed in.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:16 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You should be able to find a replacement speaker easy. No issues.

The "5.25" speaker size refers to the cone part (Actual speaker part that moves up and down, not the outer frame). Im looking into replacing my 5.25 speakers in my Axis but Im thinking of increasing the diameter to accomadate a 6.50 inch speaker for more sound. Like the say, the bigger the better. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I replaced the dash mounted Axxera radio with a Kenwood unit w/XM Radio today (a task that I hope I don’t have to repeat anytime soon).

In the course of checking everything out, I discovered that one of the cabin speakers had gone bad.

After I assured myself the wiring was good, I swapped the l/h and r/h speakers to confirm it was actually the speaker that was at fault.

The removed speaker is stamped as a Magnadyne p/n AS800W.

A search on the internet has failed to discover anything about this part number other than a new product bulletin from 2006 that identified this speaker as a 5 1/4” Dual Cone Speaker. My guess is that Magnadyne discontinued this speaker line. Apparently Thor has/had a large stock of these speakers and is using them up to depletion.

In trying to find a substitute speaker that fits the same hole as the failed speaker, I became confused as to how they size speakers. Apparently the 5-1/4” refers to the hole size required for the speaker as the actual speaker that I have measures 6-3/8” in diameter.

Has anyone else run across an issue like this. If so, what did you replace your speakers with. I hope I don’t have to modify the cabinets the speakers are installed in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stock speakers are total crap. I replaced with JBL.