Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Combo Washer Dryer

Anyone have experience with the combo washer dryer? Sounds great but I wonder how your clothes come out. Thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
I have the ventless one. Worked great for the first month other then taking forever to dry. Now it won't even dry. Switching it out to the vented. Do not waste your time on the ventless.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
An iron & ironing board WILL be required! Washing/drying small loads helps, but not much. Ours was vented & about 2 hours per load to wash & dry. If you have room get the separates either stacked or side by side.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Vented Splende W/D. Happy happy. Wrinkled when done more than DW would like. Small loads - if more than two adults might not be so happy. Nice to put stuff in and take out when done. No transfer from washer to dryer.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Definitely the vented, just don't try to do to much to quick.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had the vented one in our last coach, which worked surprisingly well. You just can't do very much at a time. We got into the habit of doing a small load every morning. We miss having that in our current coach.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
2 x on the Splendide 2100XC (vented). Love it. Like others have mentioned, smaller loads (15 lbs) but put in then take out - all done. No switchy switchy.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
In our first fiver we had the combo (vented). Extremely small loads and they took forever. We were full time and if you didn't do at least a load every day it was hard to catch up.

Second fiver we went with side by side (vented). Except for being slightly smaller they worked great. Wash day was returned to one day a week.

In our current Challenger we are going to have to do the stacked units and we will install them vented. We are only part time now but would never return to a small combo unit.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
I've only seen washers and dryers inside RVs, but today saw a picture of a strange (OK -- unique) motorhome that appears to have a small washer or dryer (or combo unit) installed (probably by owner) inside one of the large storage compartments.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this type of installation? Can water pump overcome gravity back to grey tank, or would a direct connection to sewer be necessary? Just curious to learn new options for those who stay out for long periods. We usually pack enough clothes for up to a few weeks but some day we may have time for longer trips. Something like this may be a nice upgrade if it fits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	445
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	3949  
Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Wink

If you are going to do it, you need to have the vented version. Also, plan on dealing with some wrinkles but all in all great especially if you are wishing to save space and not smell really bad.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Looks like an LG and ventless, so as perfect as it might be for what it does, I'd lean toward a vented style even more so if used outside the RV like that. The forced drain system essential to expel into a holding tank I'd have to guess.

A washer/dryer option will be in our next RV for extended travel times. Until then we enjoy our weekend sports car of RVs.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Looks like an LG and ventless, so as perfect as it might be for what it does, I'd lean toward a vented style even more so if used outside the RV like that.

.....cut.....
I must not be following the vented versus ventless references. Why is vented even more important when used outside? What's the added concern?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:19 AM   #13

THOR #1944
Good venting = better/faster drying. If outside time to truly dry would be my concern and since venting would be so easy why compromise?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Good venting = better/faster drying. If outside time to truly dry would be my concern and since venting would be so easy why compromise?
Ok, but what does "ventless" really mean? Don't all dryers have to vent somewhere?
Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #15

THOR #1944
Condenser or even more efficient heat pump non-vented dryers internally recover moisture that it is then expelled by the drain system. This method is slower than the directly heated and exhausted air of vented. My position is purely that of time from start to finish and that there isn't a venting limitation if mounted outside, so I would pick the shortest cycle time vented provides.

Everything You Need to Know About Ventless Dryers - Reviewed.com Laundry
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Condenser or even more efficient heat pump non-vented dryers internally recover moisture that it is then expelled by the drain system. This method is slower than the directly heated and exhausted air of vented. My position is purely that of time from start to finish and that there isn't a venting limitation if mounted outside, so I would pick the shortest cycle time vented provides.

Everything You Need to Know About Ventless Dryers - Reviewed.com Laundry
Thank for link, makes sense now. The technology was certainly an "anomaly" for this American. We do seem to be wasteful with energy at times, but in this case maybe justified.