Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #101

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I agree about having to add gas to the stand alone generator over many days. What about getting a generator that runs on natural gas, It could run forever
If my goal was to install a backup system for my house, I would likely buy a Generac that runs off gas.

But the above was NOT my goal.

13 years ago, my goal was to get a very quiet portable generator when camping. I bought the Sinemate 3500 at a bargain $400.

10 years ago my goal was how could I use my existing Sinemate 3500 to provide some power to my house during the occasional blackouts? I paid about $200 and self installed the Connecticut Electric 7500 watt 30 amp Home Transfer Switch. It too has been a bargain and trouble-free.

Today my goal is... hey why can't I use my RV generator (Onan 5500) to do the same thing as my portable Sinemate 3500 for all of the reasons I stated above? The answer is I believe I can, but no harm in vetting with all of the experts before I go cutting wires. It is like buying an RV, the best questions are the ones asked before you buy it, this forum has a proven track record of protecting me from myself whether it was when I bought my 1st (only) RV or this type of electrical modification

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #102

THOR #13058
I just thought of another advantage. As much as I love my EC-30 I am surprised I missed...

But 2 years ago I did another mod where my Onan EC-30 AGS is wired IN FRONT of the ATS; so it can distinguish shore power from generator power So when I get all of this done, if my AGS is on and I am plugged into shore power at home and lose power, the genny will auto start. If I have pre-plugged my Home Transfer Switch cord into the L14-30R in the RV's electrical bay, all I would need to do is go flip the switches on my Home Transfer Switch. It is inside the garage; so I would never have to go outside The reverse would also be true when power to the house is restored, it will auto shut down the Genny and I would need to go flip the switches back. Basically the total system would be Semi Automatic
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #103

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I just thought of another advantage. As much as I love my EC-30 I am surprised I missed...

But 2 years ago I did another mod where my Onan EC-30 AGS is wired IN FRONT of the ATS; so it can distinguish shore power from generator power So when I get all of this done, if my AGS is on and I am plugged into shore power at home and lose power, the genny will auto start. If I have pre-plugged into the L14-30R in the electrical bay, all I would need to do is go flip the switches on my Home Transfer Switch. It is inside the garage; so I would never have to go outside The reverse would also be true when power to the house is restored, it will auto shut down the Genny and I would need to go flip the switches back. Basically the total system would be Semi Automatic
Like you if I lost power over and over I would find a way to connect to my motorhome or get a generator. My home has lost power twice in in 25 years for a few hours. If I lose power and I'm not home (camping) my motorhome generator won't do me much good. If I lived out in the country and lost power all the time a Generac generator would be sitting in my back yard
Old 02-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #104

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Like you if I lost power over and over I would find a way to connect to my motorhome or get a generator. My home has lost power twice in in 25 years for a few hours. If I lose power and I'm not home (camping) my motorhome generator won't do me much good. If I lived out in the country and lost power all the time a Generac generator would be sitting in my back yard
I would say we use our generator about 6 times per year (10 years of data tracking) due to some power outage. Most are just a few hours, but the convenience makes it really worthwhile. Throw out the Texas Freeze and the previous worst was about 14 hours one summer when a block transformer when out, I wish I had taken pictures because it was amazing to see... our house was the only one lit up that night. The landscape lights were even on This was well before covid and we had neighbors we didn't even know coming by wanting to know how we had power

Regardless to where I live and number of outages anticipated, if I were ever to build another house it would have a fully automatic entire house backup system preinstalled.

Right now, I got a very expensive Box Kit Toy of some sorts sitting in my driveway. I am gonna use the damn thing if anyways possible
Old 02-16-2022, 03:08 AM   #105

THOR #13058
Wiring Solution

Attached is the wiring plan if I got all of my info right.

I purchased 5 ft of 10/3 cord wire that will go from the RV ATS to the 14-30R

I also attached picture of the Generator's input into the AGS because I have few more questions.

I always hear about the screws on ATS vibrating loose, but I can't tell what type of tool is used to tighten or loosen the set crews, it is odd because from reading the Southwire manual they seem more worried about over torqueing than being under tightened? I don't have a a torqueing tool that does 35 inch lbs. To wire per diagram I would need to add a wire to L1 making two wires under the set screw for L1, and add a wire to the Neutral making 3 wires under the set screw for N. Note: the ATS is already wired for Neutral Bonding.

To avoid loosening the set screws in the ATS; would it make sense to cut one wire going into L1 and cut one wire going into the neutral?; and then just use a wire nut to twist three wires together for L1; and another wire nut for three wires together for Neutral?

At current, I may go ahead and wire the receptacle and mount it in Electrical bay, and have the RV Dealer actually connect the other end to ATS? I can't see them charging more than 1 hour?

BTW, there is already an existing opening in the ATS to feed the 20amp 10/3 cord with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220215_203904.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	36147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220215_125321.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	36148  

Old 02-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #106

THOR #13058
Quote:
Attached is the wiring plan if I got all of my info right.

I purchased 5 ft of 10/3 cord wire that will go from the RV ATS to the 14-30R

I also attached picture of the Generator's input into the ATS because I have few more questions.

I always hear about the screws on ATS vibrating loose, but I can't tell what type of tool is used to tighten or loosen the set crews, it is odd because from reading the Southwire manual they seem more worried about over torqueing than being under tightened? I don't have a a torqueing tool that does 35 inch lbs. To wire per diagram I would need to add a wire to L1 making two wires under the set screw for L1, and add a wire to the Neutral making 3 wires under the set screw for N. Note: the ATS is already wired for Neutral Bonding.

To avoid loosening the set screws in the ATS; would it make sense to cut one wire going into L1 and cut one wire going into the neutral?; and then just use a wire nut to twist three wires together for L1; and another wire nut for three wires together for Neutral?

At current, I may go ahead and wire the receptacle and mount it in Electrical bay, and have the RV Dealer actually connect the other end to ATS? I can't see them charging more than 1 hour?

BTW, there is already an existing opening in the ATS to feed the 30amp 10/3 cord with no issues.
Note, I had a few typos above:

Should have read...

I also attached picture of the Generator's input into the ATS because I have few more questions.

BTW, there is already an existing opening in the ATS to feed the 30amp 10/3 cord with no issues.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #107

THOR #13058
Mission Accomplished

I finally got around to complete this job today. I am please to report that it is working flawlessly. I have Onan 5500 running now with all Home Transfer Switches open to draw current. We are trying to run everything (no 240vac). I can even RV Furnace Heat & the RV Microwave while it is feeding the house

Wish to thanks all of the usual suspects and any others that may have chimed in. What a great forum this is

With a 80 gallon gasoline tank, we now have endless trouble free power in case of another Texas Freeze or similar emergency without having to refill gas every 7 hours. Plus I may consider soft selling my Sinemate 3500 while it is fully functioning, it will be great value for the next guy

BTW- The Screw Lugs on my Southwire ATS was actually a simple allen wrench size 5/32. I did not have a torquing wrench; but I have them as tight as the others and the screws are not moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_125749.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	36320   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_125114.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	36321  

Old 02-28-2022, 12:37 AM   #108

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I finally got around to complete this job today. I am please to report that it is working flawlessly. I have Onan 5500 running now with all Home Transfer Switches open to draw current. We are trying to run everything (no 240vac). I can even RV Furnace Heat & the RV Microwave while it is feeding the house

Wish to thanks all of the usual suspects and any others that may have chimed in. What a great forum this is

With a 80 gallon gasoline tank, we now have endless trouble free power in case of another Texas Freeze or similar emergency without having to refill gas every 7 hours. Plus I may consider soft selling my Sinemate 3500 while it is fully functioning, it will be great value for the next guy

BTW- The Screw Lugs on my Southwire ATS was actually a simple allen wrench size 5/32. I did not have a torquing wrench; but I have them as tight as the others and the screws are not moving.
Good job 👍 👍 👍