Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #10782
Ford E-350 Bumper Opening Bug and Rock Screen

I search around the forum and was surprised to not see this as a topic. Since the day I took delivery on my 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE, I was surprise at the very large opening in the Ford E-350 Bumper. Just behind the bumper is the A/C Cooling radiator just waiting for a rock to do some damage. After our recent trip I did notice quite a bit of grass, gravel and bugs on the radiator itself. This prompted me to do some searching to see if anyone made a product that will screen off the opening and protect the radiator. Google lended a couple of results, but it seems that the products are more for the grill and not the bumper opening.
I did see one website that looked promising - but that site has most of its products sold out. Not sure if they are still in business.

https://www.bugscreenwarehouse.com/p...r-bug-screens/

Thoughts?

Old 09-25-2019, 01:45 AM   #2

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
I am also concerned about the large bumper opening.
Ebay has a 6 piece 2008-2013 Ford Econoline Van/E-Series Stainless Steel Mesh Grille Grill for $42.99& free shipping,
Not sure if the 2013 bumper opening is the same as the 2018.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2008-20...oAAOSw5zNalGsu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2008-20...oAAOSw5zNalGsu
Old 09-25-2019, 03:53 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Ford has made many thousand E series vans and RV cutaways and I have yet to read a forum post about damage to the radiators or A/C components. You may be worried about something that will probably never happen.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I kind of agree with Lt Keefer. But you've got a sharp eye, and I'm sure that you'll find other potential sources of problems; that might be more... problematic!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #5

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Ford has made many thousand E series vans and RV cutaways and I have yet to read a forum post about damage to the radiators or A/C components. You may be worried about something that will probably never happen.
You are probably right, my 2018 has over 12,000 miles and no issues yet, except bugs. My 2003 Coachmen's front bumper openings were not as big.
Though at $40 for a grill is not a large expense, and I would probably only use the screen for the bumper and toss the other pieces in the trash.

(Bob Denman I kind of agree with Lt Keefer. But you've got a sharp eye, and I'm sure that you'll find other potential sources of problems; that might be more... problematic!)

I guess I was lucky that my problems are this small, Otherwise I would have to sell this motorhome.

Tags
bumper, e-350, ford, radiator