Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Owners of Kelderman Stage 2 Front Air bags

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger for the Kelderman Stage 2 Front Air suspension. My 27K is horrible to drive here in the Republic of Kalifornia because of the concrete slabs being poorly maintained and in some cases poorly installed. I have already changed shocks, added Sumo springs, antisway bars, steering stabilizer and manage air to manufacturer specs based on weights. A new motorhome isn't an affordable option but I need to do something or give up traveling, maybe buy a nice tent.

I would like to get real world opinions from those that have actually purchased the Kelderman system if I can. Installed locally for just under $5K, including Caesar's take for the republic.

My questions are pretty simple, did the Air bag system improve the ride, are you happy with the purchase and would you do it again. Anything else you can add that may help my decision.

Thank you

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

State: Arizona
THOR #8356
Kelderman

I was excited to see this thread. Too bad there is no response. I'm considering the same thing. Do you have someone local who can install? Not sure I do in Lake Havasu, AZ
Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

THOR #2544
Havasudave,

I ordered the fronts several weeks ago from a local shop that was suggested by Kelderman. Industrial Motoring. Kelderman may even still have a sale going, I got lucky and saved 5%.

If you email Kelderman they will get back to you. There is another thread on here that I asked a few more questions.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I will post results after I get it installed.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #4

THOR #8356
Thumbs up Waiting to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Havasudave,

I ordered the fronts several weeks ago from a local shop that was suggested by Kelderman. Industrial Motoring. Kelderman may even still have a sale going, I got lucky and saved 5%.

If you email Kelderman they will get back to you. There is another thread on here that I asked a few more questions.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I will post results after I get it installed.
I'm anxious to hear how this works. I have essentially the same coach, a Hurricane 30S 2016. I've added all the other mods, heavy sway bars, sumo springs, Koni RV shocks. I can drive it one handed, its not affected by wind and trucks. But it still rides like the truck it is! Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

THOR #2544
Update
Will know soon. It's being installed now, should pick it up Monday or Tuesday. The shop said they only put 4 or 5 per year on motorhomes but I should be happy with the improvement.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #6

THOR #8356
Update Kelderman F53 suspension

Wow! Just tried out my Hurricane with the Kelderman front suspension. Pricey but impressive, especially when I let the pressures down a little. Be prepared to play with the pressures some to get it where you like it. It has transformed the coach ride. Still noisy and such but I can picture travelling much further in the coach with comfort. I paid 2500 plus shipping for the unit and my installer charged me 1400 to install. This is the first one he has ever done so it took some time. It seems to me to be a nicely engineered system, but unless you are mechanically adept, strong enough to wrestle with 250 lbs leaf springs, and can cut and weld, you may want to consider paying someone to do it. I'm glad I did!

Definitely recommend! ...at least for the F53 chassis.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #7

THOR #2544
I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and had the alignment done last week. Tomorrow will be our first real test drive. I think I paid about the same as you did. I paid a little more for the kit but less for the install. I will let you know how it goes this weekend. We will be on one of the worst highways tomorrow so it will be a good test but I have noticed a smoother ride so far.

I agree with the engineering the springs are not only softer but have many leafs which should make them significantly more progressive. They set the ride height to 7" on mine but one bag has much more pressure because of the difference in weight I think. I am gonna have to experiment a bit.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #8

THOR #8356
Kelderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and had the alignment done last week. Tomorrow will be our first real test drive. I think I paid about the same as you did. I paid a little more for the kit but less for the install. I will let you know how it goes this weekend. We will be on one of the worst highways tomorrow so it will be a good test but I have noticed a smoother ride so far.
Don't be afraid to play with the pressures a bit. They recommend 8 inch height on the bags, I ended up lowering the pressures by about 5 pounds and it made a huge difference

BTW, I didn't realign mine, but we pulled the steering column out of the steering gear and recentered it. Took about 10 minutes and it is straight now (every alignment shop says it can't be done, but it was simple)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #9

THOR #2544
What is the difference in pressure from one bag to the other?
Old 07-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #10

THOR #8356
It started with one at 42 (drivers) and about 35 or so for both bags to reach 8" height. This is due to the differences in weight (my genny is on the drivers side). But it seemed a bit harsh to me so I dropped the driver's down by about 5 pounds. I have one of those cool little Ryobi air guns; very handy. Not sure I'm done playing with it just yet. We mounted the gauge on the mounting bracket that supports the air box in the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air hurricane.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24970  
Old 07-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #11

THOR #2544
LOL, mine is mounted same place as yours. Makes it easy to get to. I just let air out of mine. They had over 60 on the drivers side and 32 on passenger. I lowered the drivers side to about 45 and that makes them both about 7". Kelderman said 7.5" but when pressed they said no lower than about 6.5" because at about 6" they start having problems with bounce.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:44 PM   #12

THOR #2544
HavasuDave,

Just got back from our test trip. Sooooo much better. Everything on the dash pretty much stayed where we started and my phone never hit the floor after being rattled out of the holder. I only wish I would have done it sooner. Where the sumo springs may have improved things 1%, the Kelderman probably improved it 50% or better.

Something I didn't expect and don't really understand but it seems like the pulling sideways when being passed by trucks vastly improved.

I am very happy with the Kelderman Stage II front suspension after a test of about 130 miles on one of California's concrete slabs.