Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
Vegas 24.1 Front Bunk Removal.

Has anybody taken out the overhead bunk in the front of a 24.1 Vegas? The DW and I just don't use it and don't see that we every will. I bump my head almost every time I stand up in the cab area ( think I would learn) and could use the extra headroom. I also imagine it has some weight to it so getting weight off the bus is always a good thing. I realize it may impact the resale price but I dont see us reselling it. Any info on pulling it out would be appreciated!

Old 07-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #17583
I have removed my bunk on my ACE for maintenance and replaced it it was not hard. I do not know how a Vega bunk works.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We use that bunk as a nice lateral closet.
4ftish x 7ftish x 4inches =9ish cubic feet of storage space.(or thereabouts)

I hesitate to tell you how to remove the platform because it is so obvious that if with a casual glance you haven't seen how, you might shouldn't tackle the project.

(It is also thick insulation against an ungodly amount of roof/wind noise)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

THOR #17583
I just looked at a you tube of a Vegas front bunk it is not the same at all. from what I see it should be a challenge to remove it. but I bet you could if you wanted to. Good luck
Old 07-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #5

THOR #15798
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysfixit View Post
I just looked at a you tube of a Vegas front bunk it is not the same at all. from what I see it should be a challenge to remove it. but I bet you could if you wanted to. Good luck
Thanks. I was shocked Duck said it was easy!. I have the schwintek system that is like a slid out on its side. I saw a version that seems like it has a roller system. That might be easier to take out but I was hoping to get it out in one piece. I guess just cutting it in thirds and pulling it out in pieces might work but with the slider motors, electrics, cables etc etc, it doesn't seem like a simple job and I've tackled some not insignificant things.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
we rarely use it as a bed. we frequently use it as a great place to store "important" stuff. put it up, turn off switch and remove key. a safe and secure storage area.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #7

THOR #17583
If the bed is as bad as the slides I pity ever one who has it. I think that system thought might be cheap for Thor is really crap compared to a hydraulic slide system. I (knock on wood) have not had troubles with mine yet. but I worry every time I open or close the slides. I know many folks that have. How tall are you that you hit your head? I Duckfase's point with the insulation and the sound proofing. but I also see where it sure does not leave much headroom
Old 07-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

THOR #15798
Quote:
If the bed is as bad as the slides I pity ever one who has it. I think that system thought might be cheap for Thor is really crap compared to a hydraulic slide system. I (knock on wood) have not had troubles with mine yet. but I worry every time I open or close the slides. I know many folks that have. How tall are you that you hit your head? I Duckfase's point with the insulation and the sound proofing. but I also see where it sure does not leave much headroom
Im a solid 6ft. its just an inch to low. When my wife has her heels on she can clip the edge too. She is 5'6". Ive had the bed get out of alignment twice and had to jiggle it and wiggle it to get it to work properly and we dot use it for anything but storage or the occasional niece who thinks it is fun when they visit for a day. I think it takes more of a beating than the push out because of people climbing up and down and rolling around. Im sure I can get it out, Ive pulled out a lot worse including engines from boats, landing gear from planes and even a pneumatic assembly system for packaging. Just wondered if there was somebody that has done it and had the 'if you <fillin the thing> it will save you six hours! If there is a huge increase in wind noise I will add sound insulation to the roof. Getting the extra four or five inches in headroom and loosing the weight is, IMHO worth it. If I do the project I will document it and share so its on the record for those who might want to do it. This week I need to pull the battery control system out and retrofit a Li-Bim so the house Lithium's I installed don't discharge the chassis battery. As much as Battleborn say their lithiums are 'direct replacements' they failed to mention that some RV Battery Management Systems dont handle the different resting voltages between lead acid and Lithium. Ask me how I know.... I learnt the hard way ! :-) LOL .
Old 07-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Mine tends to drop 1/2”-3/4” on one side from the up, fastened, & in place position when I travel long periods over bumpy roads.

So I am constantly “re-synching it” (all the way down, then all the way up, then again until it’s plumb).

We use it for grandchildren from time-to-time, also for table/poles & lightweight storage. And, it has integrated LED lights on the underside that we use a lot.

So I would miss all of that if it was removed
Old 07-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So you two are average height by my standards. We use the cabover in our class C exclusively for storage of larger things... chairs, camp rug, etc. Getting into the driver seat from inside is like dropping into a cockpit... fortunately it's padded all around so head bumps aren't too painful.

Good luck! Sounds like a tough project!
Old 07-18-2021, 08:58 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
If you feel you will never use it, and don’t care about resale, then I think it’s a great idea to get rid of it. I haven’t done it but in my experience taking things apart and or removing is way easier than assembling or building. From time to time I enjoyed demolition projects at work. Removing idled manufacturing equipment and clearing space is essentially what you would be doing on a smaller scale.

As a related side note, Winnebago had a Class A similar to Axis/Vegas, and the overhead cab bed was an option. The factory gave you option to gain the headroom and save a few dollars at same time.

I know wind noise could be worse, but given so much noise in motorhomes comes from engine and road below, I doubt you’ll notice much difference with bed gone.

A “food for thought” idea is that once bed is removed, you may be able to add additional small storage that’s not in the way. Quite a few Class B and B+ motorhomes have small storage bins or cabinets along the walls that don’t interfere with standing. And in Axis/Vegas since there are no front doors, there would be even less interference.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #12

State: Colorado
THOR #19132
They recommended locking the bunk in place either in the up or down position. With you storage do you disregard that recommendation or did you make another locking position?