Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization Install and F-550 Center Hub Cap Cover Upgrade

I finally got around to installing the Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization System a several weeks ago on my Magnitude SV34. I also decided to upgrade the stock F-550 Rear Center Hub Caps while I was working on that installation as well.

I've been at our home in Florida the past month and we just got back to PA to pick up the motorhome for trips to Chincoteague, VA and the Smokey Mountains in October.... plus a visit to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa on the way back from the Smokies... so I'm just getting a chance to take pics and post them now.

I ordered the Crossfire 110PSI units with the TPMS Port options so I could retain my EEZ TPMS system. It comes with a couple of different mounting options. I opted to use the mount that when under one of the Lug Nuts after looking at the center hub mounting option.

I decided to add a section of clear flexible tubing to the braided lines coming from the inside tire since it was going to be rubbing the outer wheel hole. If you looked closely at the top braided line in a coupe of the pics you will see the tubing. I may also add a section to the braided line for the outer wheel since it is likely to lightly rub against the wheel when centrifugal force kicks in.

It is nice just walking by and looking at the indicator to make sure both rear tires are properly inflated before I even get in the coach to look at the TPMS monitor. If the both tires are at 110PSI the indicator is yellow. If the indicator is solid black, the tires are 20% under-inflated. If the indicator is solid red, the tires are 20% over-inflated.

When I installed them back in mid-August I had the tires right at 110PSI and the temps were in the upper 80's. When I took the pictures this morning, the temps in the garage are about 50 so you can see the indicator is half yellow and half black with the cooler temps. I didn't check the TPMS but I would guess the pressure is down around 100PSI just looking at the indicator.

Here is a link to the site where I purchased the Crossfire system last year....

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

Since I got the Magnitude, the only thing I hated about the F-550 was the rear Center Hub Caps. They are a major PITA to get off and are just a bad design. The depth of the rim and the tight fit makes it almost impossible to remove without scratching up the caps and / or rims. After reading several posts on different sites of similar complaints and trying some different techniques people recommended, I fabricated some metal hooks and used a 2x4 centered over the tire and ratchet strap connected to the hooks to finally get them off. Still not an easy process but workable.

After doing this a couple times I was going to just leave the stock Center Hub Caps off permanently after installing the Crossfire system and let it look like a typical big rig with the center hubs and lugs exposed. I didn't think it looked all that bad without the stock caps but I was worried about rust over time since they would be more exposed to water.

I found an aftermarket Center Cap Kit on Raney's specifically designed for the Ford 19.5" wheels and decided to order it. There is an 8-Lug and 10-Lug option so I ordered the 10-Lug Option when they had a 10% off sale.

The only downside is that I have the 4x4 option on my SV34 with the manual locking hubs. This kit only comes with a solid front Center Caps. The stock Ford front caps with the holes to access the hub locks are easy to get off and one so I decided that I would order the kit anyway and have an extra 20 of lug nut covers out of it.

This aftermarket kit is a little expensive but I really like it. The rear Center Hub Caps are 1000 times easier to put on and take off. The lug nut covers are not as easy to "push" on as the instructions say. I had to use a socket that would fit over the lug nut cover and then a 2x4 and small hammer to tap them on. They go on very snug so I am not too worried about them falling off. I'm not sure how easy they will be to get off. There is enough of a gap under the lug nut caps that I should be able to get something underneath to slowly pry them off. If I damage any, at least I have 20 spare lug nut covers since I am leaving the stock center covers on the front.

Here is the link to the 19.5" Wheel Kit I ordered. Looks pretty good installed....

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/19-...eel-trim-kits/

Here are some pics of my installation.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7555.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	26204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	26205  

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	26206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7558.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	26207  

Name:	IMG_7559.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	26208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7560.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	26209  

Old 03-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #2

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
I have a class C Chateau by Thor. Do you recommend the Crossfire Dually Tire Pressure System? I have been thinking about installing. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Nice Job Judge!

did you have to quarantine in PA coming up from Florida?
Old 07-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I finally got around to installing the Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization System a several weeks ago on my Magnitude SV34. I also decided to upgrade the stock F-550 Rear Center Hub Caps while I was working on that installation as well.

I've been at our home in Florida the past month and we just got back to PA to pick up the motorhome for trips to Chincoteague, VA and the Smokey Mountains in October.... plus a visit to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa on the way back from the Smokies... so I'm just getting a chance to take pics and post them now.

I ordered the Crossfire 110PSI units with the TPMS Port options so I could retain my EEZ TPMS system. It comes with a couple of different mounting options. I opted to use the mount that when under one of the Lug Nuts after looking at the center hub mounting option.

I decided to add a section of clear flexible tubing to the braided lines coming from the inside tire since it was going to be rubbing the outer wheel hole. If you looked closely at the top braided line in a coupe of the pics you will see the tubing. I may also add a section to the braided line for the outer wheel since it is likely to lightly rub against the wheel when centrifugal force kicks in.

It is nice just walking by and looking at the indicator to make sure both rear tires are properly inflated before I even get in the coach to look at the TPMS monitor. If the both tires are at 110PSI the indicator is yellow. If the indicator is solid black, the tires are 20% under-inflated. If the indicator is solid red, the tires are 20% over-inflated.

When I installed them back in mid-August I had the tires right at 110PSI and the temps were in the upper 80's. When I took the pictures this morning, the temps in the garage are about 50 so you can see the indicator is half yellow and half black with the cooler temps. I didn't check the TPMS but I would guess the pressure is down around 100PSI just looking at the indicator.

Here is a link to the site where I purchased the Crossfire system last year....

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

Since I got the Magnitude, the only thing I hated about the F-550 was the rear Center Hub Caps. They are a major PITA to get off and are just a bad design. The depth of the rim and the tight fit makes it almost impossible to remove without scratching up the caps and / or rims. After reading several posts on different sites of similar complaints and trying some different techniques people recommended, I fabricated some metal hooks and used a 2x4 centered over the tire and ratchet strap connected to the hooks to finally get them off. Still not an easy process but workable.

After doing this a couple times I was going to just leave the stock Center Hub Caps off permanently after installing the Crossfire system and let it look like a typical big rig with the center hubs and lugs exposed. I didn't think it looked all that bad without the stock caps but I was worried about rust over time since they would be more exposed to water.

I found an aftermarket Center Cap Kit on Raney's specifically designed for the Ford 19.5" wheels and decided to order it. There is an 8-Lug and 10-Lug option so I ordered the 10-Lug Option when they had a 10% off sale.

The only downside is that I have the 4x4 option on my SV34 with the manual locking hubs. This kit only comes with a solid front Center Caps. The stock Ford front caps with the holes to access the hub locks are easy to get off and one so I decided that I would order the kit anyway and have an extra 20 of lug nut covers out of it.

This aftermarket kit is a little expensive but I really like it. The rear Center Hub Caps are 1000 times easier to put on and take off. The lug nut covers are not as easy to "push" on as the instructions say. I had to use a socket that would fit over the lug nut cover and then a 2x4 and small hammer to tap them on. They go on very snug so I am not too worried about them falling off. I'm not sure how easy they will be to get off. There is enough of a gap under the lug nut caps that I should be able to get something underneath to slowly pry them off. If I damage any, at least I have 20 spare lug nut covers since I am leaving the stock center covers on the front.

Here is the link to the 19.5" Wheel Kit I ordered. Looks pretty good installed....

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/19-...eel-trim-kits/

Here are some pics of my installation.....
Judge old thread and you may have answered this but when you put your Crossfire on did you try to fit the Ford plastic hub cover back on or will it even fit with the bracket under the lug nut? After this trip I'll install the Crossfire I ordered and sitting in the garage but don't have anything different for the hub. The Raney truck parts cover you got, does that slip over the hub or is it installed on the inside of the outer wheel? I presume the lug cover themselves clip on the steel stock lug.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Judge old thread and you may have answered this but when you put your Crossfire on did you try to fit the Ford plastic hub cover back on or will it even fit with the bracket under the lug nut? After this trip I'll install the Crossfire I ordered and sitting in the garage but don't have anything different for the hub. The Raney truck parts cover you got, does that slip over the hub or is it installed on the inside of the outer wheel? I presume the lug cover themselves clip on the steel stock lug.
The Ford stock center caps on the rear are a PIA to get off. I thought about bolting the Crossfire Valve to the center cap but I just didn't want to deal with Ford caps anymore.

I mounted the Croassfire valve under one of the lug nuts. The center cap fom the Rainey Kit is easier to install and remove. There is a foam cover that goes around the hub and then the center cap slides over the foam. It is a nice firm fit and they stay in place and can be removed by twisting and rocking. I've put on over 8000 miles and no issues.

They also give you stainless steel lug nut covers. I installed them over the stock lug nuts. It is a nice, clean look and it is much easier to get the center caps off and on.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Ford stock center caps on the rear are a PIA to get off. I thought about bolting the Crossfire Valve to the center cap but I just didn't want to deal with Ford caps anymore.

I mounted the Croassfire valve under one of the lug nuts. The center cap fom the Rainey Kit is easier to install and remove. There is a foam cover that goes around the hub and then the center cap slides over the foam. It is a nice firm fit and they stay in place and can be removed by twisting and rocking. I've put on over 8000 miles and no issues.

They also give you stainless steel lug nut covers. I installed them over the stock lug nuts. It is a nice, clean look and it is much easier to get the center caps off and on.
Appreciate that.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote