Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24SA
State: Florida
THOR #3965
24' Sprinter suspension upgrade

Hello all. Just completed the replacement of rear shocks and changed out sway bar (see attached). After reading the different forum posts and calling some dealers, I decided on the Fox shocks sold by VanCompass. I also selected the Hellwig sway bar.

https://vancompass.com/collections/s...-2wd-2007-pair

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7254-...inter+sway+bar

I installed the shocks first and I must say that made the bigger difference compared to the sway bar. Highway driving is so much quieter going over expansion joints. The RV isn't rattling anymore!

The sway bar added some additional stability and I'm glad I did both. Now thinking of messing with the front suspension, but not sure it would have the same results as I'm guessing the weight on the front struts are similar to the stock Sprinter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170513_163725.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	4931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170513_163003.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	4932  

Repairs - Slide track, kitchen window, blinds, and I am sure more to come (thanks Thor).
jutdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutdean View Post
Hello all. Just completed the replacement of rear shocks and changed out sway bar (see attached). After reading the different forum posts and calling some dealers, I decided on the Fox shocks sold by VanCompass. I also selected the Hellwig sway bar.

https://vancompass.com/collections/s...-2wd-2007-pair

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7254-...inter+sway+bar

I installed the shocks first and I must say that made the bigger difference compared to the sway bar. Highway driving is so much quieter going over expansion joints. The RV isn't rattling anymore!

The sway bar added some additional stability and I'm glad I did both. Now thinking of messing with the front suspension, but not sure it would have the same results as I'm guessing the weight on the front struts are similar to the stock Sprinter.
Catalog | Redlands RV and Truck Performance Center Check out page 11 of this catalog. They also install wheel spacers in the rear along with the sway bars. I am told that they do a lot of these packages on the Sprinter.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
How. Big of a job and time consuming for the rear shock replacement?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Model: 24SA
State: Florida
THOR #3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
How. Big of a job and time consuming for the rear shock replacement?
The actual job is very straight forward. The only reason it wasn't very easy was that I needed a buddy to help compress the new shocks as there was no way I was doing it from underneath the coach. Once he compressed the shocks, I quickly lined it up and inserted the bolts. It took me a couple of tries and there is probably a better way, but it wasn't bad.

Also, when I pulled the old shocks off, I was shocked at how easy they were to compress. My rig only has 8000 miles now and I can't imagine those shocks did much of anything.

Sway bar is also straight forward (I removed the spare for more space during install). Again, having a helper made it much easier.

It's been years since I've really worked on cars so I'm not the kind of guy that is gonna tackle complicated stuff and I felt completely comfortable doing this work.

Repairs - Slide track, kitchen window, blinds, and I am sure more to come (thanks Thor).
jutdean is offline   Reply With Quote