Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
Custom center console

I have a small table, that I really don't care for between the drivers & passenger seats. It occured to me that I could use the existing post and hardware, and mount it to a custom console that I would build. I was thinking wood, maybe match the cherry cabinets, a couple of cup holders, slots for phones and IPad, etc. maybe even a hinged storage. It would then be removable, and interchangeable with the table if I so desired. Have any of you done anything similar? I would love to see photos if so! After I get it completed I will post some photos as well, here is one of the area in question.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dvan,

Cool Idea. Please keep posting as you progress with this "mod".

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:45 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
I'm eager to see your project as well!

I really dislike the center "thingy" on our Hurricane. The cup holders are too shallow and the little indented shelf is useless for anything thicker than a map or 1 CD. Would love to see some creative ideas for the use of this space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	3406
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	1446  
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Where can we get a new shorter post with tapered ends, like the standard one?
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
Shorter Post for table

I took one of the after market posts to my local machine shop (A good one familiar with welding aluminum) and had he cut 6" out of the middle and re-weld it, cost about 50 dollars and worth ever penny. Aslo got rid of the big table and used a chicago cutlery cutting board for walmart, got a whole saw and cut the cup holder holes in it and put in two cup holders. The little groove around the cutting board catches little things just in case. I am looking or a little railing about 1" with posts to add and fancy it up if you know of such thing.
ED
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I would love to have a console and/or additional storage between the two front seats....but the wife insists that is the dog's spot. I have to step over a dog bed to get in and out of my seat, lol. I don't even get to use the table that came with the coach.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvan View Post
I have a small table, that I really don't care for between the drivers & passenger seats. It occured to me that I could use the existing post and hardware, and mount it to a custom console that I would build. I was thinking wood, maybe match the cherry cabinets, a couple of cup holders, slots for phones and IPad, etc. maybe even a hinged storage. It would then be removable, and interchangeable with the table if I so desired. Have any of you done anything similar? I would love to see photos if so! After I get it completed I will post some photos as well, here is one of the area in question.
2007 DaybreakClick image for larger version

Name:	20170311_074213.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	4210Click image for larger version

Name:	20170311_074301.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	4211Click image for larger version

Name:	20170311_074353.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	4212
Old 03-23-2017, 03:06 AM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #6644
Custon Center Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by eengstrom54 View Post
I took one of the after market posts to my local machine shop (A good one familiar with welding aluminum) and had he cut 6" out of the middle and re-weld it, cost about 50 dollars and worth ever penny. Aslo got rid of the big table and used a chicago cutlery cutting board for walmart, got a whole saw and cut the cup holder holes in it and put in two cup holders. The little groove around the cutting board catches little things just in case. I am looking or a little railing about 1" with posts to add and fancy it up if you know of such thing.
ED
You can find your railing with decorative posts at the local big box hardware store in the cabinet section. They are usually mounted on the top of wall cabinets.
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
This is what I did for a center console on our AXIS, it doesn't impact the floor space very much but does add quite a bit of useful storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	4278  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 AM   #10

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
This is what I did for a center console on our AXIS, it doesn't impact the floor space very much but does add quite a bit of useful storage.

great setup, where did you find the drawer/shelf setup, or did you make it yourself ?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #11

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
great setup, where did you find the drawer/shelf setup, or did you make it yourself ?
Thank you, I tried to find something that would work but I was never able to find anything that I liked so I just made it. The lower part is 1/2" osb with a 1/4" hardboard top wrapped in a carpet scrap from lowes. The drawer and the top is 1/4" hard board with 1/2" pine covered in vinyl I got at the fabric store. I think I have some photos of it being built I'll try to post them .
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #12

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
Thank you, I tried to find something that would work but I was never able to find anything that I liked so I just made it. The lower part is 1/2" osb with a 1/4" hardboard top wrapped in a carpet scrap from lowes. The drawer and the top is 1/4" hard board with 1/2" pine covered in vinyl I got at the fabric store. I think I have some photos of it being built I'll try to post them .
After looking through my pictures I realized that I stopped taking them after the base was completed. I also included a few pics of my noise suppression efforts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170311_072754.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	4503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170311_072722.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	4504  

Name:	20170311_092531.jpg