Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Step covers helps with road noise

About a month ago I made a step cover for my Axis. I used 5/8 sheet of plywood and a 2x4 + scrap 5/8 plywood to reinforce the step (and hold in place). Might of cost me $25 bucks.

Then I covered the bottom with dynomat leftovers for good measure. I made sure to have a tight fit so it dont rattle. It lays on TOP of the floor area (Not flush with floor ....but I dont mind - much easier to make this way).

I tested it the other day, plenty stong enough to support me (190 #) and it cuts a tremendous amount of road noise (at interstate speeds) not to mention keeping the heat (and cold) out of the RV (this step area lets in a tremendous amount of heat (summertime) and cold (wintertime) so that alone IMO make it worth it.

So if you looking for a cheap and easy way to cut road noise on your Class A or Class C this should be on the top of your list. I wish I did it sooner.

Not to mention it helps prevent your better half from falling in the step hole while she is getting you a cold drink when on the road .

I figure I will find a scrap piece of carpet to cover the top (I will post a pic once done). I Might even put a foam gasket against the screen door area.

I shoud have done this mod sooner....nobody on this forum really talked about it - esp pertaining to road noise.

This was a dramatic difference.... the radio sounds so much better. I had to turn it down some afterwards. My wife said she could tell once we got up 50 / 60 MPH and once up to 70 mph it was obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6811.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	31237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6812.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	31238  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I have a Hurricane 29M and I have been considering this too. Good to know about the reduction in road noise. Please post photos of the finished installation.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I like it. Will copy design.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
This thread has me a bit curious. I am going to listen carefully when the DW raises the step cover next outing and see if I can tell any difference

I really haven't noticed any in the past

I did have one of the motors fail due to the way it was installed in a bind a few years back
Old 06-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Well I decided that DP with the entry door INFRONT of the front wheel (and no engine up front of coarse helps) are quieter than entry doors that are BEHIND the front Wheel (road noise).

Plus that fact the entry level RV's (like mine) are not as well insulated as most DP would be.

I even added insulation a couple of years ago around my step area. But It didnt help with road noise.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 06-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Here are a few more pictures.

Should I glue that carpet to the top or leave it seperate and just place on top when needed?

With the carpet on top it looks flush with the floor since its oversized.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6955.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	31344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6956.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	31345  

Name:	IMG_6958.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	31346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6957.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	31347  

Old 06-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Those steps were a source of a huge amount of background secondary noise.
Not so much louder than other road noises, just FILLING. It filled the entire rv with a constant steady noise.
Like when the ac is on recirculate and high fan.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Brilliant!
Old 06-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Just place the carpet, no glue. That way you can shake the dirt off easily.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Just place the carpet, no glue. That way you can shake the dirt off easily.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking... Plus I can change the carpet out to something else if the wife gets board with the color.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
IF? lol, around here, it's WHEN.
Great idea to insulate it. I made one flush with the floor using ¾ aluminum angle but that prevents opening the battery step access fully. I'll try your's.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah, thats what I was thinking... Plus I can change the carpet out to something else if the wife gets board with the color.
Maybe just a patch or two of velcro; to keep it in place.
You don't want it to slide out from under you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Maybe just a patch or two of velcro; to keep it in place.
You don't want it to slide out from under you!
Thats true, But its actually a padded bathroom mat...so it has a rubber backing on it. Plus Im sure the matt will help ever more with sound deading (Absorption).
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #14

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
IF? lol, around here, it's WHEN.
Great idea to insulate it. I made one flush with the floor using ¾ aluminum angle but that prevents opening the battery step access fully. I'll try your's.
Yeah I was going to make it flush but it looked like a PITA plus like you said it would mess with the battery cover under the steps.

I should have done this years ago.... I warmed up the RV last SAT (to changed the oil in the Genny) on the interstate without the step cover, then back the other way WITH step cover in place.... Major difference.

This needs to be on your short list of mod. Since I placed it on top of the floor its really easy to make and only cost me like $25/$30 buck in lumber (Last year it would have been half that price. )

If you have scrap wood laying around it would cost you nothing but time.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #15

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Maybe they will start adding a slide out over that are so you can slide it into a grove when not needed
Old 06-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #16

THOR #12231
I think all of the class A's should come with a step cover than you put down yourself. It would be sweet if it would automatically cover the step once you get over like 45 mph then retract once you shut the engine off.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #17

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
I think all of the class A's should come with a step cover than you put down yourself. It would be sweet if it would automatically cover the step once you get over like 45 mph then retract once you shut the engine off.
It must be a weight thing as well as dollars as they are standard in the larger A's but you do have to use the switch
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Omega-Na...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of guides on youtube to help make tambour if this readymade isn't strong enough.
It can slide under the floor between the battery box and frame.

We're working on a side lift platform which will hook to the back of the passenger when opened.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thats true, But its actually a padded bathroom mat...so it has a rubber backing on it. Plus Im sure the matt will help ever more with sound deading (Absorption).
Perfect..
Old 06-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
We had done something similar last year, but less fancy. Just a piece of plywood covering the hole. We mostly used it when we were closed up for the day so the (small) kids wouldn't fall down in there. Adds a lot of convenience too when the RV is rolling and someone has to go to the bathroom.

Who knew a rug could make it look so much nicer!

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote