Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Smile Dash cam & Scan Gauge

Well Santa was pretty good to me, got a dash cam and a Scan Gauge II.

I'm not sure if I'm going to mount the dash cam on the windshield (will be hard to reach) or on the top of the dash (will require a different mount so it's not upside down). Mounting on the windshield would give the camera a great field of view, but it will be a stretch to reach it. I think the dash mount would work good and still have a good viewpoint, problem is finding a suitable mount. I've watched a lot of videos on you-tube and it has convinced me that for liability purposes a dash cam is a good accessory to have.

Anxious to hook up th Scan Gauge, talked to several people who have them and all comments have been positive. Trip functions and fuel mileage functions I think will be useful along with the ability to view codes, hope I don't need the code function! I plan on mounting on the steering column, big flat spot there that will be easy to see and reach.

I would be interested to hear comments from anyone who's used either one.

Hope everyone had a safe and VERY Merry Christmas! Looking forward to a Happy New Year! If you're on the road have FUN and stay safe!!!

Old 12-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I've used a scan gauge for several years and if is very useful. I have had to use the code function several times and it is nice to know what the code means and then be able to delete it and see if it comes back or whether it is a one shot deal. Also really good for your heavy foot on the accelerator. I mount mine on the dash to the left of the wheel so I have an easy view but it does not distract me.

I think that a dash cam is also an excellent idea. I just haven't bought one yet. Maybe before my next big trip this summer.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
One, thank you for your comments! If you decide to buy a dash cam visit Car Cam Central on you-tube, they have the best and most comprehensive reviews I have found. Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Love my scan gauge , makes getting decent fuel mileage kind of a game.
The fuel consumption is given to you in real time so you get to see what accelerating for a hill does to your mileage Also helps finding the sweet spot for best cruise economy.
It's also nice to see real averages right there on the screen.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
One, thank you for your comments! If you decide to buy a dash cam visit Car Cam Central on you-tube, they have the best and most comprehensive reviews I have found. Have a Happy New Year!
Thanks. Please post a review of how you like yours after you get a chance to use it. Have fun!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I have a dash cam mounted all the way up un the windshield, and another one in the rear window.
I do not have a scan gauge but use an OBD-II Bluetooth dongle that I display on the same tablet I use as GPS (in split screen mode).
It is nice to have all this information available!