Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #19338
Spare tire under class c

Hi. I just upgraded to my second thor. I have a 2021 JM 31. Under the rear there is a bar across an open space with a 3/8 threaded rod vertically in the center and is about a foot long. It appears this could be a possible hanger for a spare tire (?). Although I would like a pickup truck type winch to raise the spare up and down. Has anybody used or adapted this to carry a spare ? Thanks. Jeff. Tennessee

Old 09-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie1127 View Post
Hi. I just upgraded to my second thor. I have a 2021 JM 31. Under the rear there is a bar across an open space with a 3/8 threaded rod vertically in the center and is about a foot long. It appears this could be a possible hanger for a spare tire (?). Although I would like a pickup truck type winch to raise the spare up and down. Has anybody used or adapted this to carry a spare ? Thanks. Jeff. Tennessee
Someone has. There was a thread many moons ago on the topic. A search may reveal it. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you've got a threaded rod: find a trie/wheel combo for a test, and fabrcate a bracket ot hold it up under you rig.
Good luck!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #4

THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you've got a threaded rod: find a trie/wheel combo for a test, and fabrcate a bracket ot hold it up under you rig.
Good luck!
Worth a try [emoji106]
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Someone has. There was a thread many moons ago on the topic. A search may reveal it. Good luck.
Ok thanks. I'll do that.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Worth a try [emoji106]
You're gonna have a lot of folks crawling under their RVs with flashlights: good luck!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #7

THOR #12189
Think this is it. It's not exactly what you're looking for but it'll get you started.

If you find a junkyard and can scavenge the hoist, you may be able to figure out how to mount it.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...unt-22548.html
Old 09-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I use a trailer hitch spare tire carrier. I bought a spare tire rim and tire. I had it mounted and balanced. I used #8 grade bolts to secure it on the hitch. I run a cable and lock through it to keep people honest. It is a bit on the heavy side but I do have a spare with me at all times. I did have to relocate the rear license plate and mounted that on the rear ladder with an led license plate holder zip tied to it. I hooked it up to the trailer wire harness for power. Easy job.

Paul
Old 10-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I posted pictures on how I make a spare tire bracket with a Ford Tire hoist a few months ago.

Axis ( E450 chassis). I didnt have any OEM brackets to work with so I made my own.

I will try and find a link for you.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

THOR #12231
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...450-22235.html
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 10-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #11

THOR #19338
The link keeps bringing me back to the page my post was on. I received the ford super duty spare tire winch today. I have the scraps of steel to make a supporting bracket. Just have to go the big box store and get some hardware to bolt it together. I'll post pictures when done before I hang tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #12

THOR #12231
I just tried the link again.... It took me to my tire carrier posting. Works fine. Very odd.

Do a search for "I made my own spare tire carrier (Axis - E450)" and you will find it.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #13

THOR #19338
Quote:
I ended up fabricating a way of mounting a spare tire winch. I got a winch for a ford f350 super duty. Searched my shop for scrap steel. I made a sandwich around the existing 1 1/2 steel square tube running between the frame rails , thus securing the winch. Waiting for the operating handle to arrive before I can raise the tire up. It's a huge space under the rear and may as well use it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_124937060.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	26481
Old 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #14

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a huge space back there under my Chateau 31E and I'm considering adding a spare tire mount there. My biggest concern is the extra weight. My rig is already near the rear axle and rear tires limit, so I'm worried about adding more weight behind the rear axle.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I have a huge space back there under my Chateau 31E and I'm considering adding a spare tire mount there. My biggest concern is the extra weight. My rig is already near the rear axle and rear tires limit, so I'm worried about adding more weight behind the rear axle.

It’s a valid concern for sure. Every coach I’ve owned seems to gain weight on a regular schedule as I’ve added stuff. A good inventory and downsizing of your storage compartments might help. Although I know lots of people who think weight limits are bogus.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Nice job Valkyrie

I ended up purchasing a 12 inch long 1/2 drive extention (like for using with sockets). It fits in the square (ish) hoist hole just fine and I use my cordless 1/2 inch drive impact to work it. It will raise (and lower) in about 1 minute (Maybe less) with almost zero physical effort on my part.....Just have to keep the impacted charged.

I also use this same impact tool to loosen (and tighten) my lug nuts so tire change is a breeze now.

As far as weight.....well IMO its much more important to have a spare tire.

Afterall What is an extra 75 # in the grand scheme of things?

If your concerned I would try and offset the spare tire weight by removing stuff you dont need or use OR move about 50 or 75# to the front (or middle) of the rig. Or dont fill your fuel tank to 100% every time you fuel up?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #17

THOR #19338
Quote:
Nice job Valkyrie

I ended up purchasing a 12 inch long 1/2 drive extention (like for using with sockets). It fits in the square (ish) hoist hole just fine and I use my cordless 1/2 inch drive impact to work it. It will raise (and lower) in about 1 minute (Maybe less) with almost zero physical effort on my part.....Just have to keep the impacted charged.

I also use this same impact tool to loosen (and tighten) my lug nuts so tire change is a breeze now.

As far as weight.....well IMO its much more important to have a spare tire.

Afterall What is an extra 75 # in the grand scheme of things?

If your concerned I would try and offset the spare tire weight by removing stuff you dont need or use OR move about 50 or 75# to the front (or middle) of the rig. Or dont fill your fuel tank to 100% every time you fuel up?
Thanks Mr road. I appreciate the compliment. I will go have the rig weighed. And then I can have an better idea. See you all on the road. As a musician friend would say,. The highway is my home
Old 10-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #18

THOR #12189
Quote:
Thanks Mr road. I appreciate the compliment. I will go have the rig weighed. And then I can have an better idea. See you all on the road. As a musician friend would say,. The highway is my home
And let it be.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #19

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Or don't fill your fuel tank to 100% every time you fuel up?
C'mon mannnn
Can't do that
Old 10-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
C'mon mannnn
Can't do that
I know, I said it as a joke..... but it might make some folk think about it.

You can fill your fresh water tank to the half mark only to off set any weight.