Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Class C TV outlet ignition switch interlock

I put in a small 300W inverter so my wife and son could watch TV from the back seats if they wanted. Got it wired in with a Xantrex auto transfer switch so it powers the general (non-GFCI) outlets when shore/generator power aren't running. Thoroughly tested it in the driveway and everything was great... until we actually took a short trip this weekend. As soon as I started the engine the TV went dead and wouldn't power back up. I immediately assumed the cheap inverter was the culprit until I found the other outlets working fine.

I didn't realize there's an interlock on the outlet behind the TV that locks out the power when the ignition is on. Quick trip to the internet and found some vague references to pulling a fuse (but never found exactly which one) and most of the responses were to just pull the outlet, the interlock relay should be glued to the back. Well, mine wasn't like that. It was just a regular outlet with a romex feed.
I found a YouTube video of a guy with a Class C and his was in a metal junction box behind a false wall in the same cabinet. Mine didn't have any walls that looked like they could be removed without completely destroying the cabinets so I started getting nervous. I started pulling the control panels trying to follow the romex from the outlet back towards the breaker panel and using my AC voltage sniffer to check where the power went live again.

I finally pulled the microwave and found the junction box with the ignition lead and lockout relay. All you have to do is pop out the 2 pin connector and you're good to go. This is probably the same location in my 2018 Freedom Elite 24HE as its twins the Four Winds and Chateau 24F and maybe some similar years/floor plans.

Yes, the lockout exists so the driver won't be distracted while driving but the TV on its swingarm is past my line of sight anyway. Hope this saves the next person some frustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_154801.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	22949   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_154820.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	22950  

Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Yep, I just did the same thing in my 29h.
My junction box was in the overhead above the door, behind a false side.
My unit has a 1000w inverter from the factory, so while I was there I extended the power to another receptical in the back of the frig (the frig is next to the door).
Now I can move the refrigerator plug to the new receptical and run the frig on 120 instead of propane while traveling.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:19 AM   #3

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
We have 2017 total freedom elite 30 F. I want my kids to watch TV while we were down the road. We had no inverter in our RV. So I turn my generator on the TV does not come on because it’s tied up on the ignition. We installed 2000 W inverter under the dinette and change my batteries 2 two 6 volts batteries under the steps. The run was less than 5 feet to inverter. Then we ran two perm so outlets on the outside of the booth from inverter. We also ran one extension wire behind the TV. I just plug my TV into the extension wire and turn my inverter on. Everything works great. I was a little nervous to Use transfer switch. I wanted to keep it simple. . But I would like to find where those ignition wires are so if we have a generator on we can use the TV. Do you know exactly where they will be in the freedom elite 30 FE. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #18247
Thank you!

The Thor support guy on the phone was hinting that it might be under the dash. But he couldn't tell me, because laws or something stupid. He suggested using an extension cord to basically any other outlet.

Glad to see that's not too bad since I'd like to get it fixed, especially since there is no possible way I can see the TV while driving and the kids would enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #5

THOR #14612
It will be in some cabinet next to tv, behind false walls. I pulled my outlet. And followed the wire and it leads to the junction box where two wires were. Just unplug those and you are good to go. I also installed 2000 watt inverter but it’s without transfer switch. But installed dedicated outlets where I needed. But recently I just plug my rv main cord to inverter if I need all outlets on. I don’t cut converter off, but installed contactor relay that shuts converter off when shore or generator power is applied.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #18070
I have a 29 J would anyone know where that box is?
Old 06-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

THOR #14612
I found my kill switch wires behind cabinet walls. It was between 5-6 feet awat from wall. Just open that outlet and follow th wire. It will end in 4x4 box. Once you find that junction box, you will find those two wires for killing the outlet. Just take them of and you will be goog to go.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

State: Arkansas
THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfreedom View Post
I found my kill switch wires behind cabinet walls. It was between 5-6 feet awat from wall. Just open that outlet and follow th wire. It will end in 4x4 box. Once you find that junction box, you will find those two wires for killing the outlet. Just take them of and you will be goog to go.
Hi Mr thorfreedom. I also am looking to do the same thing. I have a freedom elite 24HE. I did not find my box behind the microwave as the other gentleman shows in his pictures. Behind which cabinet wall did you find yours ? What did you have to remove for access. Thanks for any insight you may provide. Thanks [emoji4]
Old 07-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #15765
On my 2019 Freedom Elite 24HE there's a SPST button/switch on the swing arm of the TV... I just closed that 12v circuit and it works off the genset while on the road... Bam...easy fix...
Old 07-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #10

State: Arkansas
THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsberr View Post
On my 2019 Freedom Elite 24HE there's a SPST button/switch on the swing arm of the TV... I just closed that 12v circuit and it works off the genset while on the road... Bam...easy fix...
I saw that switch, I didn't make a mental connection. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks !![emoji16][emoji16]
Old 07-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfreedom View Post
We have 2017 total freedom elite 30 F. I want my kids to watch TV while we were down the road. We had no inverter in our RV. So I turn my generator on the TV does not come on because it’s tied up on the ignition. We installed 2000 W inverter under the dinette and change my batteries 2 two 6 volts batteries under the steps. The run was less than 5 feet to inverter. Then we ran two perm so outlets on the outside of the booth from inverter. We also ran one extension wire behind the TV. I just plug my TV into the extension wire and turn my inverter on. Everything works great. I was a little nervous to Use transfer switch. I wanted to keep it simple. . But I would like to find where those ignition wires are so if we have a generator on we can use the TV. Do you know exactly where they will be in the freedom elite 30 FE. Thank you.
I couldn’t find the switch on our 30fe, and after looking for a while decided it was just easier to run an extension cord from the outlet under the table along the trim and up. We always use our generator while driving so powering all the outlets is nice and now with the cord up by the TV I had one that had multiple plugs so besides the TV kids can charge their iPads or whatever. That was a lot better then the one outlet up in the bunk.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

THOR #18247
Found mine last weekend. Chateau 24F. Under bed next to transfer switch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200706_123625680_HDR.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24770
Old 07-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #13

THOR #18247
The relay wire supplies 12v when the engine is on. Perfect for my eez Tpms repeater.