Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Another busy day with the Axis

Well after 4+ hours and a bottle of Rejex (Amazon) my arms are ready to fall off but the Axis looks good:

Almost looks brand new if you don't look too closely. There are some spots on the front where its starting to oxidize, and definitely don't go on the roof:

Tried to cover that good with Rejex, may have to put more up there. Thought about dousing it all with 303 but I don't think that would help. For those of you with new Axis/Vegas units: Wax the crap out of the top (or keep the unit stored indoors, covered, etc.).

May put a 2nd code on that at some point.

Got a 7am start so I wouldn't be working in direct sunlight as its supposed to get mighty warm here today (and the next few days).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Looking good , think I'll start doing mine in sections.

I commend you for attacking the entire coach at once ....
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
Looking good , think I'll start doing mine in sections.

I commend you for attacking the entire coach at once ....
I did do it in sections and got far enough that I made the "aw heck I might as well finish it at this point" decision.

The wife was surprised as well that I did the whole thing...LOL
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Looks good Jamie. Is it a wipe on, wipe off or do you have to buff and did one bottle do the whole coach?
The front cap on mine is really faded also. Not sure anything short of a paint job will fix it.
The sun side of mine is really showing some oxidation and I need to get on it right away.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010
Looks good Jamie. Is it a wipe on, wipe off or do you have to buff and did one bottle do the whole coach?
The front cap on mine is really faded also. Not sure anything short of a paint job will fix it.
The sun side of mine is really showing some oxidation and I need to get on it right away.
It is wipe on, wait 10-15 minutes, wipe off--very much like a wax (even smells like the old Turtle wax paste wax). It comes off easier than a wax though (unlike said Turtle wax). I hand removed it--no buffers--because I didn't want to mess up the decals (I'm pretty sure Thor says "no buffers" anyway for the same reason). Even had a neighbor drop by offering up his buffer LOL.

I did find that, in the sunlight, it does dry quicker on the darker decals and thus required a little more elbow grease to get off of those.

I still have a little remaining in the one bottle I used (on their website they say that 1 12oz bottle is good for a 25 ft RV or boat).

The bottle does have some warnings about applying in direct sunlight when the temp is greater than 85F--don't! This is the reason I started out at 7am and did my applying to the shady side of the RV chasing the sun around during the morning.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It is wipe on, wait 10-15 minutes, wipe off--very much like a wax (even smells like the old Turtle wax paste wax). It comes off easier than a wax though (unlike said Turtle wax). I hand removed it--no buffers--because I didn't want to mess up the decals (I'm pretty sure Thor says "no buffers" anyway for the same reason). Even had a neighbor drop by offering up his buffer LOL.

I did find that, in the sunlight, it does dry quicker on the darker decals and thus required a little more elbow grease to get off of those.

I still have a little remaining in the one bottle I used (on their website they say that 1 12oz bottle is good for a 25 ft RV or boat).

The bottle does have some warnings about applying in direct sunlight when the temp is greater than 85F--don't! This is the reason I started out at 7am and did my applying to the shady side of the RV chasing the sun around during the morning.
It is a sealer and you can also put it on your windshield. Acts like Rainex but lasts longer.

Kev
Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
Quote:
Well after 4+ hours and a bottle of Rejex (Amazon) my arms are ready to fall off but the Axis looks good:

Almost looks brand new if you don't look too closely. There are some spots on the front where its starting to oxidize, and definitely don't go on the roof:

Tried to cover that good with Rejex, may have to put more up there. Thought about dousing it all with 303 but I don't think that would help. For those of you with new Axis/Vegas units: Wax the crap out of the top (or keep the unit stored indoors, covered, etc.).

May put a 2nd code on that at some point.

Got a 7am start so I wouldn't be working in direct sunlight as its supposed to get mighty warm here today (and the next few days).

You might need to be fed by somebody else tomorrow because your arms won't lift up. What a job. Thanks for the tip about the roof. Ours is new to us and a 2014. It is is our first summer with it.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
It is a sealer and you can also put it on your windshield. Acts like Rainex but lasts longer.
I'm aware of that, but I had just Rain-X'd the window about two weeks ago and the water was still beading up on the window pretty good.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Nice job, still looks great after a few years.

It appears on pictures that if your rig was much longer you'd almost run out of driveway.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
It appears on pictures that if your rig was much longer you'd almost run out of driveway.
Yup: Our old 5er used to hang out over the sidewalk (31ft). Weren't thinking that we'd have an RV back when we picked up the house all those years ago.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #11

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
JamieGeek That looks great! I just spent two days washing and waxing my Axis. Wax on, wax off! I can barely lift my arms!
Fortunately my Axis is in a covered storage unit, so I didn't have to worry about the sun.
Didn't do the roof. I'm afraid to get off the ladder! Hopefully I'll work up the courage by the next time I wash it!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
JamieGeek That looks great! I just spent two days washing and waxing my Axis. Wax on, wax off! I can barely lift my arms!
Fortunately my Axis is in a covered storage unit, so I didn't have to worry about the sun.
Didn't do the roof. I'm afraid to get off the ladder! Hopefully I'll work up the courage by the next time I wash it!
Bought a 2x4 foot scaffold from Harbor Freight. I adjust it so I can comfortably reach the center of the roof with a long scrub brush. I wash a section and wife pulls the coach forward and I do the next part (and so on). Then I do the other side with her backing up. Feels much safer.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #13

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
You might need to be fed by somebody else tomorrow because your arms won't lift up. What a job. Thanks for the tip about the roof. Ours is new to us and a 2014. It is is our first summer with it.

I put 3 coats of zep floor wax on mine worked great no more white streaks on the side
Old 06-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:

Jamie,

Just put our first coat if rejex on our 2027 VEGAS, love the way it looks(and feels)

One question, one often do you our need to RE REJEX the coach,?

Was thinking twice a year( spring and fall) with wash/wax jobs in between.

Just wondered how you did it,?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #15

THOR #4687
Quote:

I hear you on starting early, been up the last two mornings at 4:30, trying to beat the hot sun here in Missouri.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
Just put our first coat if rejex on our 2027 VEGAS, love the way it looks(and feels)

One question, one often do you our need to RE REJEX the coach,?

Was thinking twice a year( spring and fall) with wash/wax jobs in between.

Just wondered how you did it,?
Well this is my first application so I don't know. Ours sits all winter with a cover on it so I doubt I'll be doing it in the fall. I'd first want to see how well it holds up (bottle does say 6 months). Even if we camped year round I think I'd wait to see in the fall how well it holds up.

This is the first of any type of "waxing" that I've done to the unit (the dealer had some prep they did for us) so I'm not sure.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Jaime,

The rig looks really really good!

What made you choose RejeX over 303?

Can you use 303 on a coach after a wash?

How many bottles of RejeX for the Axis?
Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #18

THOR #4687
Quote:
Well this is my first application so I don't know. Ours sits all winter with a cover on it so I doubt I'll be doing it in the fall. I'd first want to see how well it holds up (bottle does say 6 months). Even if we camped year round I think I'd wait to see in the fall how well it holds up.

This is the first of any type of "waxing" that I've done to the unit (the dealer had some prep they did for us) so I'm not sure.
Jamie

Are you as impressed with REJEX as we are? Our VEGAS has never looked as good!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
Jaime,

The rig looks really really good!

What made you choose RejeX over 303?

Can you use 303 on a coach after a wash?

How many bottles of RejeX for the Axis?
I wouldn't want to use 303 over everything--I only use 303 on the plastic parts (roof vent covers, A/C cover, antenna, refer vent, door handle, etc.).

Only used 1 12oz bottle (the RejeX website says 1 12oz bottle is good for an RV or boat 25ft long).

I decided on RejeX after reading recommendations about it in the forums here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
Jamie

Are you as impressed with REJEX as we are? Our VEGAS has never looked as good!
Yes; just checked on the RV today and it still looks really good (granted its only been about a week LOL).
Old 06-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #20

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Jamie, The rig does look good. I have to make a general comment about the front cap on the Axis. Ours has been parked outside for a year and a half and it is now heavily oxidized. We paid for the PermaPlate warranty coverage and have had someone out to buff it out and wax with no good results. Now PermaPlate is offering to have the entire front cap painted. I am considering purchasing a metal roof carport for it after we get this done. By the by, I saw a "new" 2016 at the last RV show in Pomona, CA and noticed that the front cap was also completely oxidized.