Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 47
THOR #3770
Dimming LED interior lights 2016 Vegas

Was sitting in the drivers seat watching TV, while wife sat in passenger seat reading. Got me thinking that the LED lights were great, but are too bright. Looked around ProMEMS is a Chinese company. Not the most english speaking user friendly website.

Starting to dig into dimming the lights, or even individual lights. Anyone look into this??

__________________
Paul_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,006
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
Was sitting in the drivers seat watching TV, while wife sat in passenger seat reading. Got me thinking that the LED lights were great, but are too bright. Looked around ProMEMS is a Chinese company. Not the most english speaking user friendly website.

Starting to dig into dimming the lights, or even individual lights. Anyone look into this??
No, but have it on my "list". Definitely something to look into
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Yes it is possible... My LED strip lights I've added are dimmable...
You do need specific dimmable LEDs (its not really the LED - but the other circuitry...) and they need a PWM (pulse width modulation) dimmer.
A video:

Several others come up when watching that one...
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
Posts: 55
THOR #3732
dimming lights work, but...

I found a replacement dimmable light that fits exactly where the original led light was, and found some warm white bulbs for it ( that took a bit of searching). It works ok, but it was still too bright for us, since the dimmable LED bulbs put out a fair amount of light even at the lowest setting.

Instead, we mounted a couple of additional LED lights in the slide out over where the couch used to be. They are warm white and directional, so they light the walls. That provides a much more pleasant light - instead of the harsh ceiling lighting. I can take pictures if that would be helpful.

Andy
__________________
saerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by saerdna View Post
...
Instead, we mounted a couple of additional LED lights in the slide out over where the couch used to be. They are warm white and directional, so they light the walls. That provides a much more pleasant light - instead of the harsh ceiling lighting. I can take pictures if that would be helpful.
...
Good point... The strip lights I've added are indirect lighting...
A warm white strip behind the window valences shining down - gives a nice background 'glow' to the window area, and an RGB set on the top of the slide out trim shining up - can add any accent color / brightness... Often the main pancake lights stay off - using specific 'task' lights (over sink, over table, etc) as needed...
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,436
THOR #1150
Did you turn off 1/2 of them? The fixtures in our Axis are the two light variety where you can turn one side off. A cheap way to turn down the lights by 1/2.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Did you turn off 1/2 of them? The fixtures in our Axis are the two light variety where you can turn one side off. A cheap way to turn down the lights by 1/2.
The main lights in my Hurricane are 3 dual pancakes wired to 3-way switches - one at door and one at control panel... Each pair can be turned off independently by switches on the light itself - but not half of a light without pulling a bulb...
When I drop something on the floor and can't find it - that bright light from all 6 bulbs comes in handy!

The LED strips were far cheaper than replacing the fixtures - and adds the color options which we use more than I thought we would...
(Grandson liked picking the color for his 'nightlight' each night... lol)
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Wonderdog's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 359
THOR #4466
Pictures? Please and thank you. (My mom is probably watching from above.)
__________________
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 2,005
THOR #908
or just replace bulbs with a dimmer one....
probably the easiest solution.
perhaps leaving the bright ones only at strategic locations if necessary
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,436
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The main lights in my Hurricane are 3 dual pancakes wired to 3-way switches - one at door and one at control panel... Each pair can be turned off independently by switches on the light itself - but not half of a light without pulling a bulb...
When I drop something on the floor and can't find it - that bright light from all 6 bulbs comes in handy!

The LED strips were far cheaper than replacing the fixtures - and adds the color options which we use more than I thought we would...
(Grandson liked picking the color for his 'nightlight' each night... lol)
All of our pancake lights the center switch has 3 positions: off, 1 side on, and on.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
Posts: 383
THOR #6203
The lights above the sofa on my 2017 Axis are way too bright. Makes watching TV difficult. With the positioning of the lights in the Axis it's hard to find a good compromise between too much light and not enough!
__________________
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
All of our pancake lights the center switch has 3 positions: off, 1 side on, and on.
Yep... seen those and like the idea... My rig didn't have them - and with what I've added, haven't had the incentive to retrofit...
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2