Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #622
DirecTV to all TVs - Thor Serrano

Before we picked up our Serrano from the dealership we had them install a Winegard Travler satellite to give us DirecTV in HD. I was a bit disappointed to find out after it was installed that we can only watch the DirecTV on the main television in the living room, not on the TV in the bedroom or the one outside. We were told this is because they had to run an HDMI cable from the DirecTV receive directly to the television.

There's a switcher box in the front of the RV that let's you choose which TV to send the DVD player to, or antenna, shouldn't it be possible to hook the DirecTV receiver into this? Anyone with experience here?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
If the switch box is like mine, it only switches RF and Video signals, not HDMI. Mine is a Quest model something...

You could probably make it work if you found an HDMI-to-VHF modulator and converted HDMI to VHF before going to the switch box.

While VHF won't give you the nice picture that HDMI will, consider you are in a motorhome and well... you are "roughing it".

You could probably find an HDMI switcher, but then you would have to run HDMI cables to your other TV locations - which seems like a lot of work.

I think also the switch box will input Video/Audio and has a VHF modulator built in, so if your satellite TV has video and audio jacks, you could probably do it that way too. I plan on installing a DVD player that way as soon as the outside temperature gets above 10deg, but I think that is going to be awhile. So, I am speaking from theory rather than actually doing this myself.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #3

Model: 37KT
State: Alabama
THOR #387
I have 4 tv's in my challenger. I had them run a HDMI splitter to the front 2 TV's and one to the back 2 TV's. This setup will require you to have 2 directv boxes. They ran the RG6 cable underneath the coach and came up through a closet for the bedroom directv box. You think THOR would setup this when they build them. This is only a couple hundred bucks to do when they build it. It cost me 750 at CW to get this done.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Had the same issue with my Miramar. You can split it out to your other TV's using the Quest box. I found a splitter at radio shack for a coax cable. I removed the sat in line from my DIRECTV unit, plugged that line into the in line on the splitter, then sent one line to my DIRECTV unit and the other line to the SAT in port on the Quest unit.

Select SAT on the quest box, and if I remember right, place your additional TV's on channel 3 or 4 and you can watch your DIRECTV in your bedroom or outside TV. Only took 5-10 min to install the splitter.

The above poster is right, it would be nice if they would have run HDMI line from the AV cubby out to the other TV's.

Hope this helps!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Arkansas
THOR #1057
I had a similar issue with my 2012 Challenger 37KT. The only input for external TV in was the cable in. This was installed in the basement, driver side rear door. I called Thor and asked where the orange RG6 cable coming from the switch box labeled Sat in was? He said somewhere in the ceiling because with the factory installation of a Sat antenna that is where it is staged.
I dang sure wasn't going to randomly search in the ceiling so I added a RG6 A/B switch two short jumpers, unhooked the orange Sat in cable left it off, took the white RG6 off the cable in input on switching box, put the white cable in on the single input of the A/B switch. The A side of the A/B switch installed a short jumper to cable in of switching box, the B side of the A/B switch goes to the Sat receiver input and the Sat receiver output goes to the Sat input of the switching box.
Sat or Cable/Over Air Antenna/DVR on any one or all TV's or combination thereof. It is not HDMI quality but you can watch what you want to.....

Tags
directv, serrano