Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
Disable safety relay that keeps my TV off when the engine is on?

I have a 2017 Thor Quantum with swivel TV in the bunk area. It is powered by the inverter and batteries until I crank the engine. There is no way for me to see the tv while in the drivers seat. Not sure where to look to find the relay and how to disable it. Unable to find info in the E450 and Thor manuals as expected. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:58 AM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Does the tv become un-powered or just no picture? Most dash mounted viewable units have a wire input that goes hot when the ignition is turned on. Unhooking that particular wire at the tv might do the trick.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

THOR #8350
Power is cut to the TV when the chassis engine is turned over.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is this a 12VDC television plugged into a auxiliary style power socket?

As a note, RV manufacturers build to the most stringent state laws and if the TV sits forward of the back of the driver's seat then it will be disabled when the ignition is on. In this case it is not about viewing it is about the mounting position. My prior class c was the same way with the main TV.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Understand that by law they must sell it that way, but how do you change it so that the TV/VCR can be viewed when the ignition is on?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I don't know where my relay is....but maybe you could switch the ignition key to "on" without starting the engine....and listen for the relay pulling in.

You might hear the bird relay which connects the two battery systems, but that will after a bit for a delay, but I don't think that's the one you want.
It's probably a relay that pulls in immediately.... Actually I don't think you will hear that one if the coach is not plugged in to shore power and the chassis engine is not running....

....and I'm guessing it's the same one that disables the slides and awning so that they can't accidentally be deployed while driving.... So be careful with what you do in disabling the safety!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Since the awning and slides work off of 12 volts and the tv off of the inverter 110 I would think that the tv has a separate relay for cutting power to the tv. Like was said before be careful disabling any safety relays. Does the tv work off of 110 power when plugged into a pedestal or does it work off of the inverter all the time? You should be able to start at the inverter and trace the power to the tv.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Since the awning and slides work off of 12 volts and the tv off of the inverter 110 I would think that the tv has a separate relay for cutting power to the tv. Like was said before be careful disabling any safety relays. Does the tv work off of 110 power when plugged into a pedestal or does it work off of the inverter all the time? You should be able to start at the inverter and trace the power to the tv.
The last Quantum pictures I looked at showed an Axxera TV which is 12VDC and not 110 VAC. The OP has not answered whether the television is 12VDC or 110VAC. The Axxera will probably have the same type cutoff circuit as their radios do for the DVD player which is a built in circuit wired to the ignition circuit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #9

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Quantum with swivel TV in the bunk area. It is powered by the inverter and batteries until I crank the engine. There is no way for me to see the tv while in the drivers seat. Not sure where to look to find the relay and how to disable it. Unable to find info in the E450 and Thor manuals as expected. Any help is appreciated.
I was going by what he said. Powered by the inverter which tells me it's 110. My main tv was 110 but had the plug that converted to 12 volts so I just added a 12volt cig plug in the cabinet and run off 12 volts all the time so we can watch tv while boondocking or staying overnight at Wal Mart without running the generator. My DVDs also works off 12 volts so we can watch movies too.
I can also put a movie in the DVD and the grandkids can watch movies while we are traveling without running the generator.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #10

THOR #3952
Here's your answer.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...or-4419-2.html
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 AM   #11

THOR #8350
I'll have to check if the tv works with the generator and engine on. it's a 110 VAC TV. The Axxera is the radio/backup cam screen and seems to run off of 12 vdc. The main TV is a sekei or something to that effect. I don't think the safety relay is related to the slides since the inverter has to be on. I don't really want to have to run the generator just to power the TV either. Rather save that for AC and battery charging.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #12

THOR #3952
Here is the fuse the poster removed to let the tv stay on with the ignition on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	5907  
Old 07-19-2017, 12:37 AM   #13

THOR #8350
Thanks! That did it!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #14

THOR #908
ok, maybe I'm slow....
what does this mysterious fuse protect?
I'm not understanding how pulling a fuse, thereby killing the power to something, would affect the safety interlock that keeps the TV off....
Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
ok, maybe I'm slow....
I'm not understanding how pulling a fuse, thereby killing the power to something, would affect the safety interlock that keeps the TV off....
The safety interlock works by being given 12v when the ignition is on... and 0v when ignition is off... So backwards as it sounds - removing that fuse prevents the 12v from reaching the switch - and disables the interlock.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
ok, maybe I'm slow....
The fuse probably isn't protecting anything but providing a convenient method to enable/disable the "feature".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #17

THOR #8350
That fuse also governs the ability for the chassy to charge house battery. Looks like I may be drilling a 1" hole through my cabinetry to get to another outlet ��
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #18

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
That fuse also governs the ability for the chassy to charge house battery. Looks like I may be drilling a 1" hole through my cabinetry to get to another outlet ��
this is the sort of unintended consequence you get when working with less than complete schematics and info..... ugh, oh well.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:15 AM   #19

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #23768
Any recent updates to disable safety relay to keep TV on?

Hi, just purchased our first RV, 2018 Four winds. I removed the fuse and then read the does not allow the house to charge. Any better solution?
Old 04-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Idaho
THOR #26429
Found simple fix if your tv is 120 volt ac it runs off shore power not affected generator or inverter both affected by engine running lockout. THE FIX LOOK AT OUTLET THE TV IS PLUGGED IN TO it have one outlet on it with a label TV controller two ways to fix it one simply take the plug unplug it and plug it into a different outlet if there is not a different outlet you can fix it and disable this lock out by unscrewing the two screws that hold the controllable outlet into the wall on the backside of it is a 12 V DC relay this relay is a normally closed relay so when it is not activated it completes the circuit to the outlet when you start the engine it then supplies 12 V to the coil on the relay which opens when the relay opens it interrupts the circuit killing the outlet that feeds the TV show to disable the relay there are two brown wires on it simply unhook one of them do not touch the black wires that is 120 V circuit going through the relay problem solved