Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: VEGAS
State: Arizona
THOR #10510
Disabling convert to install solar system

What fuse do I pull?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
why?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:41 AM   #3

THOR #10510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
why?
Your output of your inverter goes to the AC load center.
The output of you AC load center goes to your converter to charge you DC batteries. Your out put from your batteries goes to your inverter.

You use your solar panels to charge your batteries.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #4

THOR #4735
but your solar only goes DIRECTLY to your batteries, not your converter.... just wire the leads to the battery - done.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #5

THOR #10510
You have a loop that needs broken. Unless you think perpetual electricity works.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 AM   #6

THOR #4735
if Solar is only to charge your batteries, then WHY does it need to connect to or interact with ANYTHING else.... no one else's does, why should yours?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 AM   #7

THOR #10510
The output of your inverter is AC. You don't want that source charging your batteries.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #8

THOR #4735
I'm at a big loss to your questions, or comments... maybe it's just me, but Solar output to your batteries is very simple, maybe it seems more complicated, but it's not really.

Solar amperage output from your panels is wired directly to the battery bank they are designed to charge. Not to your Charger. Not to your Converter. Not to your Inverter. Those are all for 120v power, not Solar.

Your solar output does not need to go to your Converter or interact with the Inverter, only the Generator or Shore Power do that. Your solar is like your Alternator while you are driving, it provides power directly to your battery bank and does not interact with the other devices.

You can have several panels, fed into a single controller, and wired to your batteries, or you could even have several panels, each with their own controllers, but all wired directly to your batteries.... either way, it's the same outcome - Charging of your battery bank by solar amperage, nothing else.

I don't mean to come across to too directly, but I guess I'm a little confused at your thoughts of what solar does for batteries in our RVs, and how they are wired. I'm with you, though, as I was a new Solar owner just this past June when I added solar for our Alaska trip - it was an easy install. The panels are on the roof, the two wires drop down the back of the coach on the ladder, thru the rear engine cover, and feed into the rear battery bay, and connect to the controller. The controller then is connected via two wires to the battery bank. The controller shows me the incoming amps, and will itself limit the incoming amperage if the batteries are full, or close to full.
While the coach's Charger monitors the battery bank and provides charging when on generator or shore power, it does not know or care if Solar amps are also helping to charge the batteries. The alternator works that way too, charging the batteries outside of the care of the Charger.

fun, ain't it! : )
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #9

THOR #4735
by the way,

give us the details of your new system and how you're going to mount them and what you're excited about them doing for you.... we all do it a little differently but don't mind enjoying how others are doing theirs, too....
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 AM   #10

THOR #10510
Two systems.
1. Panels, controller, then batteries.
2. AC
Batteries, inverter, to AC load centers. You don't want this output charging your batteries.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #11

THOR #4735
hmmmm.... others should chime in here to help as I'm missing your logistics of how your system works.

though, if what you are assuming is that your Charger somehow 'uses' your batteries, then no, it does not, it has nothing to do with them other than providing 120v charging TO the batteries thru it's own controller... a Converter simply takes 120v incoming power and provides it to your 12v devices, such as lights, but NOT to your Charger or somehow to your Batteries. There is no 'circle' that you may be concerned with.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
OK... I'll try...

As TurnerFam stated - the solar is standalone... It doesn't interact with anything...

What you don't want is the inverter (drawing current from batteries to create 110v AC) to feed the converter (using AC current to charge the batteries.)
Since the Vegas doesn't have an inverter - not an issue for stock rig..

If you have added a single circuit inverter - as long as that doesn't feed the converter you are fine...

If you added a 'whole rig' inverter - well - now you do need to be sure you don't have that loop - but would mean one large inverter and battery bank... Guessing this isn't what you have...

Make sense?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
He wants to disable the converter, but has thrown an inverter into the mix. Neither has anything to do with solar.

Solar is an alternate DC source to add energy to your battery bank.

The converter is powered by the AC distribution panel (it has its own breaker) which converts AC energy into DC energy to run DC loads and add energy to the battery bank.

An inverter takes DC energy from the battery bank and inverts it to 120 VAC to power select AC loads; generally not all of them and certainly not the converter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 AM   #14

THOR #10510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
OK... I'll try...

As TurnerFam stated - the solar is standalone... It doesn't interact with anything...

What you don't want is the inverter (drawing current from batteries to create 110v AC) to feed the converter (using AC current to charge the batteries.)

If you have added a single circuit inverter - as long as that doesn't feed the converter you are fine...

If you added a 'whole rig' inverter - well - now you do need to be sure you don't have that loop - but would mean one large inverter and battery bank... Guessing this isn't what you have...

Make sense?
Exactly
I have added an Aims 3000 watt inverter to power every thing short of air conditioning
It's out put goes to the AC load center.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
OK... I'll try...

Make sense?

Good answer.

He seems worried about having a loop, which may or may not actually exist. Need clarification on that.

If there is a loop that would essentially drain the batteries very quickly, it would be an issue with or without solar. Perhaps the inverter is being added at same time as solar and hasn't been operational yet. Agree with others that more information is needed.

Edit -- Was typing while answer was posted.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 AM   #16

THOR #10510
Again, I have added a second system , battery output to a 3000 watt inverter that will go to the AC load center.
I have done this for over 20 years.
All I want to know is the best place to disable the factory convert on a THOR VEGAS to stop an unwanted loop.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccammonds View Post
Exactly
I have added an Aims 3000 watt inverter to power every thing short of air conditioning
It's out put goes to the AC load center.
Your question makes sense. This issue has come up before.

Have you considered powering converter similar to air conditioner so it can run from generator or shore power? What if solar isn't enough sometimes?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccammonds View Post
Again, I have added a second system , battery output to a 3000 watt inverter that will go to the AC load center.
I have done this for over 20 years.
All I want to know is the best place to disable the factory convert on a THOR VEGAS to stop an unwanted loop.
Did you read my answer? Open the breaker that powers it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 AM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Then turning off the AC breaker that feeds the converter before powering up the inverter would be simplest way a sTfryman said...

I assume your 3 AC sources are isolated so only one can supply the load center at a time... Shore, genny, inverter...
(Shore/genny isolated by existing transfer switch)

How much solar and batteries are you adding to sustain that 3000 Watt inverter?
At 1000W it will be drawing ~80amps from the batteries...
At 2000W over 160A
At 3000W 250A...

If this is what you have: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverte.../dp/B00NZCRFRQ
it also seems to contain a converter/charger. You might just leave the Vegas supplied converter off...
(Depends how you wired this in.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #20

THOR #10510
That's my question which breaker.