Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Dish for RV'ers

I am looking at purchasing the Dish Tailgater 4 antenna with Wally. Anyone use this system on the east coast?

It is mountable and picks up the east coast satellites. Allows one to buy monthly programming while using the Rv.

Anyone have this system? Thoughts!?

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We've used our Dish for about 4 years all over the USA - from the North Woods of Maine, to Coronado Island, to Seattle, Key West and most points in between. Other than the Wally original setup (we started out with an earlier model receiver), we've enjoy Dish service. We spend 8-9 months on the road, so about 4 years ago we changed over our brick and mortar home to Dish and have never looked back.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Good system, I've had it since 2017.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Thanks for your feedback

Thanks guys for your feedback

I just clicked the order button.

Thanks!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #5

State: Illinois
THOR #16386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Good system, I've had it since 2017.
Hints on hooking up Dish tailgater in Four Winds 26-B, with two TVs!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Just remember, satellite will not work through your splitter.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #16165
dishtv

our rig has a tailgater mounted on the roof. the freedom elite 29fe does not have a/v distribution. so, a/v is one big kludge. we use one dish wally in a cabinet and a wireless hdmi tx/rx for the back tv. so all tvs watch the same channel (or footbal game )

the wireless hdmi is a bit of an experiment/gamble. its does lag but it actually works. i can also move the rx to the outside tv when needed. the unit i got is a measy FHD676.

i have given up trying to get local over the air channels to show up - Thor says there is no a/v wiring diagram for the 29fe so its a pain to trace coax hook ups

ymmv,
-Ben
Old 11-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
I ran two cables from the Tailgater antenna. One to lr dish box and second to br dish box. It was a lot of fun. We can watch separate channels. As far as the outside cable connections, splitter is under the bed.Cables begin there and terminate at the three wall plates. Never use the outside tv, too much glare during the day.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:29 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Just purchased a 2019 Hurricane 34J and had the dealer install a roof mounted Winegard T4 antenna and two Wallys. One for the main TV and one for the Bedroom TV. The outside TV is connected wirelessly to the bedroom TV via a Actiontec wireless transmitter/receiver system. The living room tv, bedroom TV and outside tv are connected via HDMI to the onboard BlueRay player. All TV’s are connected to the Winegard Razyar Z1 roof antenna for local station.
Only problem I have with the dish system is the main Living room Wally pics all three satellites but the bedroom and outside tv’s have problems picking up one satellite and only the one the main living room tv is on. Then if you change a channel and it is on a different satellite the system crashes. All dish says to do is unplug the system and start over. Not much fun when you are watching a show and it takes 20 minutes for the system to respond. Any suggestions.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Whatever you do , do not attach to roof. We did and hear the motor whirling around at night. Easier putting on a outside stand.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Ours is the New Winegard T4 roof mounted antenna which can be used on the highways as we drive. This unit is very quiet and does not bother us.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
Hello - I used to live for dish but a few years ago gave up and I only use my phone or Apple TV. If you have a smart TV you can get Netflix without nothing else - just Hotspot you phone and lock it the TV. You can get around 15GB for each device. so we have 50+ with two phones and an Ipad.

Regards - Mike
Old 11-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #13

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
Whatever you do , do not attach to roof. We did and hear the motor whirling around at night. Easier putting on a outside stand.
we do too, but you can easily DEFEAT this sound issue by either:

- unplug the receiver

- use an a/b switch between the antenna and the receiver in order to turn 'off' the antenna during overnight hours...

or, and the easiest method...

- just turn your TV off, but NOT the receiver. The receiver will then continue keeping it's attention on that specific satellite and will not 'search' during the night. Also, go into your preferences and set the receiver to only 'sleep' after 6 or more hours, which means that it will not turn itself off after so many hours of inactivity, and therefore will continue to keep itself intune to the satellite. Also, set your preference for the daily 'update' of the receiver signal to sometime after you have waken each morning. This will keep the receiver from then running thru it's paces during the middle of the night.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #14

THOR #4735
as for the Tailgater 4, it's a newer version of the Tailgater/Playmaker SINGLE output antenna, but also with the capability of BOTH Eastern and Western satellites, though I doubt you'd have any problems going anywhere in the U.S. with only 'Western' satellite reception, anyway, as we have.

But, the dual arcs does give you a little more capability if you happen to be in a somewhat inaccessible place, otherwise, though most of us have learned how to get around those issues by how and where we place our antenna.

While ours rides on the rear of the roof, near the ladder, it's easily able to be unattached and brought closer to the front of the roof of the rig, or completely down to the ground, even as far away as 100 yards, to get the best reception area. What I really also like about these units is that they are not bound by the 'must be level' in order to self-find the satellites, because, after all, they are self-acquiring and the inner 'eye-ball' is capable of 360degrees of rotation, and quite a bit of vertical headroom as well.

We've had our Tailgater2 dual output unit for over 5 years, and while I sent it back to the factory, which replaced the main coax output connector after about a year of use, I've not had a single problem since, and that's after dropping it several times!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #15

THOR #4735
and, as for driving the signal to TWO tvs, it really depends on what you are actually trying to accomplish. You can certainly split the output of the Wally to mirror the signal to two tvs, if that's what you wish, but if you are wanting two TVs to have access to whatever channels each wishes, then no, you cannot drive two different signals from the same receiver. Each TV needs it's OWN receiver, but the single output of the Tailgater4 antenna is THEN the issue, as each RECEIVER needs it's OWN antenna output.
Some antennas, like mine, which have TWO outputs, though, make the 'secondary' output a 'slave' to the primary output, meaning that what you watch on the second receiver's TV is limited to what SATELLITE your primary receiver was programmed to initially, and as long as that primary receiver stays on the same satellite....that can lead to some confusion, but it does make TWO tvs watching different channels, from the same antenna, a reality.

I suggest you define what you really 'want' to be able to do. If you really don't watch TWO tvs at the same time, but just want your Wally to be able to provide a signal to each, that's a different effort than trying to drive TWO tvs at the same time.

If you have TWO tvs, and you have TWO receivers, you can then make use of the Antenna to drive both, just not at the same time, but can easily move the signal from one receiver to the other by use of a simple a/b switch between the Antenna coax output and the two receivers.

If you have TWO tvs, and TWO receivers, and DO want to watch both TVs on different channels at the same time, then you could also just get ANOTHER Tailgater4 antenna - there's actually no law saying you CAN'T!!

The more you make use of a portable Antenna, the more you travel, and the more 'situation' you find yourself in, the more you'll start to realize how to 'customize' your antenna and your receiver(s) for your comfort and enjoyment.