Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2020, 02:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Alaska
THOR #18204
Dish Satellite

We have the Dish Tailgator & usually take the receiver out of spare bedroom at home to use when we go camping. Our new 2020 Hurricane 34R has outside hookup for the dish but where would you put the receiver?

Old 02-28-2020, 02:14 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Not sure of the floor-plan of your Hurricane, but in the Gemini I modified one of the cabinets above the refrigerator, cut an opening in the back to make it deeper so it would accommodate the direct TV box, and wired a 120V outlet in there for it, Also had the control box in there for the roof mounted SWM-3 dish so I could get HD Direct TV. Also, obviously ran the coax from the dish in there, as well as three HDMI cables for the TV's. It all worked great.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:45 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Why not get your TV via the internet?
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:10 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Alaska
THOR #18204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

Most of the campsites around here do not have internet
Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Model: 30.2
State: Virginia
THOR #17882
We just installed Dish to our 30.2. Wired it to the front and back TVs with independent rcvrs. Now putting in an inverter so we don’t have to run gen set while rolling down the road.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayslearning View Post
We just installed Dish to our 30.2. Wired it to the front and back TVs with independent rcvrs. Now putting in an inverter so we don’t have to run gen set while rolling down the road.
What Satellite Kit did you go with?
Obviously, yours can accommodate 2 receivers.

I’m looking at Winegard G3, roof mount for DISH network.
I’ve got the AIMS integrated inverter install, but don’t need to watch TV while in-motion.

I’d love to hear the Forum discuss actual experiences of one kit over another.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I have the Winegard Playmaker single with the Wally receiver for Dish. I hook it into the cable inlet on the side of the MH. There is no pre-wire for satellite on my MH. I then modified the cable inlet to go directly to the wally receiver. I thought of mounting the dish permanent on the roof but I have the advantage of being able to place the dish where ever I like. Normally I just place it on the roof of the RV at the back. Inside I split the HDMI output of the wally receiver to also go to the bedroom TV. The remote for the wally works up to 200 ft through walls and everything so it will control the TV in the bedroom as well. It is the same program on both TVs but I only watch 1 at a time. As both TV are Axxeras, the wally remote controls both of them individually.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Quote:
Because : 1) RARELY find campgrounds with internet. 2) No one streaming service has all the channels 3) Enjoy the same channel list and familiarity as at home. 4) $7/mo charged only when active. For us it is a no-brainer.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
Because : 1) RARELY find campgrounds with internet. 2) No one streaming service has all the channels 3) Enjoy the same channel list and familiarity as at home. 4) $7/mo charged only when active. For us it is a no-brainer.
Doesn't everyone take internet with them via their cell phones? Just tether the phone and use the Dish on the go app. Between that and Amazon Prime, no additional equipment to carry or hook up.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
I agree with your analysis of DISH and am looking forward to doing a roof mount for convenience.
I’m currently considering the Winegard Carryout G3 & mounts on Amazon ($440 + $42). Then do a DIY mount.
The G3 has a 20% larger dish for better reception.
It’s lightweight, can handle two boxes for my 3 TVs.

All I need to do now is pull the trigger.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #11

THOR #13362
Quote:
Doesn't everyone take internet with them via their cell phones? Just tether the phone and use the Dish on the go app. Between that and Amazon Prime, no additional equipment to carry or hook up.
I have unlimited data on my ATT phone, and view my ATT U-verse channels by tethering to my Vegas TVs.
But it’s a hassle and doesn’t always work correctly.

So, bottomline...I’m ready to move to a permanent mount satellite for DISH and then use my phone for data streaming as desired.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
- the 'outside' SAT input is typically only to provide an easy way to accommodate hooking up an outside portable Antenna. The wiring usually leads inside to near your Entertainment Box(BOMB, box of many buttons).
You then make that connection to your Receiver, usually set within the same cabinet.

Most of us, though, probably customize our Satellite antenna placement, our receiver placement, and our wiring in and within our coaches - Satellite TV is not as 'stock' as some would like it to be, as the outside Antenna's coax cable has to enter the coach, find it's way to the Receiver, all while not encountering any 'splitters' or other connections that can interfere with the back and forth of power TO the Antenna, and signal FROM the Antenna.

You then run your HDMI or coax cable out of your Receiver to your TV, or possibly a coax from the Receiver to your Entertainment Box, if that's an option. If so, every TV will see the same Channel, even if multiple TVs can receive the signal.

Most of us also have multiple RECEIVERS, so each TV can see it's own channels, and that requires more customization as well.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #13

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
- the 'outside' SAT input is typically only to provide an easy way to accommodate hooking up an outside portable Antenna. The wiring usually leads inside to near your Entertainment Box(BOMB, box of many buttons).
You then make that connection to your Receiver, usually set within the same cabinet.

Most of us, though, probably customize our Satellite antenna placement, our receiver placement, and our wiring in and within our coaches - Satellite TV is not as 'stock' as some would like it to be, as the outside Antenna's coax cable has to enter the coach, find it's way to the Receiver, all while not encountering any 'splitters' or other connections that can interfere with the back and forth of power TO the Antenna, and signal FROM the Antenna.

You then run your HDMI or coax cable out of your Receiver to your TV, or possibly a coax from the Receiver to your Entertainment Box, if that's an option. If so, every TV will see the same Channel, even if multiple TVs can receive the signal.

Most of us also have multiple RECEIVERS, so each TV can see it's own channels, and that requires more customization as well.
Well said.
It’s doable, you just gotta think it thru

For you Vegas/Axis 24.1 owners:
I will probably enter thru the King TV port in the roof, then to the power box and living room/kitchen TV DISH receiver box. That’s the ez one
Will run a separate HDMI cable to TV so I’ll have two. EZ access.
One for DISH, one for DVD player.

For my outside TV...it’ll be on the same box as the living area TV.
I’ll run a 12’ ’ HDMI cable thru the Convection oven cavity, down behind the refridge into the cavity behind the lower kitchen cabinets. Then ez access to the outside TV
The outside TV will have to be on same channel as the living room/kitchen TV.

Then for my rear TV, I’ll run a 20’ HDMI thru the Convection oven cavity, behind the fridge, thru the closet, then to upper cabinets around to the rear TV for its own Dish box. I’ll use the existing HDMI cable that runs down the wall with an A/B switch for DISH or DVD player.
When going on long trips, I’ll take my extra home DISH receiver box with me for the bedroom.

So that’s my plan.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #14

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

Well said.
It’s doable, you just gotta think it thru

For you Vegas/Axis 24.1 owners:
I will probably enter thru the King TV port in the roof, then to the DISH power box and living room/kitchen TV DISH receiver box. That’s the ez one
Will run a separate HDMI cable to TV so I’ll have two.
One for DISH, one for DVD player.

For my outside TV...it’ll be on the same box as the living area TV.
I’ll run a 12’ HDMI cable thru the Convection oven cavity, down behind the refridge into the cavity behind the lower kitchen cabinets. Then ez access to the outside TV
The outside TV will have to be on same channel as the living room/kitchen TV.

Then for my rear TV, I’ll run a 20’ HDMI thru the Convection oven cavity, behind the fridge, thru the closet, then to upper cabinets around to the rear TV for its own Dish box. I’ll use the existing HDMI cable that runs down the wall with an A/B switch for DISH or DVD player.
When going on long trips, I’ll take my extra home DISH receiver box with me for the bedroom.

So that’s my plan.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Just purchase the King Tailgater Pro with dual outputs and two Wally's. Now, I don't need cable at home and separate system on the road. Trying it out for the first time this weekend at the races in ATL. It will even work on Shell Island with the boat if I really got crazy. TV anywhere without cell or WIFI should be great.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, it is.... and that's why so many travelers like Satellite TV - it's not reliant on a 'cell signal', or a 'good' Cable connection at an rv park or campground...

now you just want to understand completely 'how' the second, or 'secondary', receiver will receive channels:
- the MAIN receiver will receive all channels from all three satellites
- the SECONDARY receiver will receive ONLY channels from the SINGLE satellite that the Main receiver initially acquired.

...so, if the MAIN receiver was programmed on satellite 110, then the acquisition of the SECONDARY receiver will also be on satellite 110, which is the only Channel choices it will be able to see, as long as the Main receiver is also tuned to satellite 110.
If the Main receiver changes to a channel that resides on satellite 119 or 129, the SECONDARY receiver will show the 'channel not available' Blue Screen error message.
If the Main receiver changes BACK to a channel on satellite 110, the Secondary receiver will then start to see it's channels again.

This is all because, as you can see in the 'PRO' version of this King Tailgater antenna, there is only a SINGLE 'LNB'(eyeball) to see the satellites. If only a single satellite can be seen at a time, then it's logical that if the LNB moves to see another satellite, the secondary receiver, which is ONLY programmed for the original satellite, will no longer 'see' it, giving the error message screen. FUN! (but, it does work, and works well, as long as you understand how to best use it for your situation)....
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:45 AM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Got it...read tons of facts before purchase.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
Ghh

Model: A. C. E. 30.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #1348
Thanks for your input. I have a 2017 A. C. E. Bunk bed and found the cable hook up outside but have been unable to find the other end inside. I have a Dish Antenna and receiver but not sure how to hook it up inside. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #19
Ghh

Model: A. C. E. 30.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
I have the Winegard Playmaker single with the Wally receiver for Dish. I hook it into the cable inlet on the side of the MH. There is no pre-wire for satellite on my MH. I then modified the cable inlet to go directly to the wally receiver. I thought of mounting the dish permanent on the roof but I have the advantage of being able to place the dish where ever I like. Normally I just place it on the roof of the RV at the back. Inside I split the HDMI output of the wally receiver to also go to the bedroom TV. The remote for the wally works up to 200 ft through walls and everything so it will control the TV in the bedroom as well. It is the same program on both TVs but I only watch 1 at a time. As both TV are Axxeras, the wally remote controls both of them individually.
Great info. How did you rewire the outside cable input on the inside. I.,e., go through a wall, under the floor, etc. I’m looking to do the same. Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #20

State: Michigan
THOR #17235
We have a 2020 29M which already has a 110voutlet, DVD player, multiplex switcher, with HDMI cables run to all 3 TVs installed in cabinet over the dinette. I mounted a Dish Playmaker on the forward roof and it only took 6’ of coax to get over the cabinet where I ran the coax down through the roof. I put the Wally inside the cabinet with other components. There is now quite a tangle of cables inside the cabinet but with the door closed nothing is visible. The Wally has an RF remote so works well from anywhere inside or around the coach.
-Ken