Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Florida
THOR #12972
Dish tailgater wiring questions

Just bought a dish tailgater with two wally receivers and I have a few questions for installation.
System is being installed in a 2018 Thor outlaw 29J using window mount.

First question is do I have to run coax lines for each receiver or can I use the cable connection to the RV.

Second question is can I use just one connection with a splitter for the two receivers or do I need to use the second connection on the antenna for the second receiver?

Last question is do you know if you can get the construction plans from Thor which shows the stud layout etc. which will make it a whole lot easier if I have to run new coax.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
A) you must run directly to your receiver(s), using the internal 'cable' coax connection will not work as it has splitters in line that will not allow the receiver to communicate back to or power the antenna

B) you must attach each separate Receiver by coax to the outputs of the antenna - splitting the 'signal' will not work, which is why there is two outputs

C) your don't have 'framing' in the coach walls as you might think of in a house - no factory wiring is run thru the outside walls, but instead thru the rear of cabinets, usually behind 'false panels', etc. Sometimes wiring may run down from a interior wall to a wall switch, but usually this does not include coax wiring. Factories are very creative in how they find places to route cables as outside walls will not work.

if you're like most of us with Tailgaters or similar antennas either on the roof, or mounted on the rear ladder, or just stored and placed outside on the ground when parked, running your own coax directly from the antenna to each receiver is the best solution, even if you have to get creative on how you do it.

I have two methods, as I have a place on the rear of the roof where my KingTailgater2 can sit while traveling, and be used from there if the view is not obstructed where I park - the coax cable run several times around the rear air conditioner cowling, and over the edge of the rear bedroom slide corner, thru the seal, and into the top of the bedroom slide roof, over the trim and down where my bedroom (main) receiver sits on top of the bedroom cabinets.
I also sometimes need to move the antenna down onto the ground, so I also have a coax cable that I can use that simply is pushed thru the bottom of the bedroom slide's seal, when the slide is out, and up to the receiver location.
I do the same for either the living room RV/receiver, or the outside one.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2408
My Dish Install

Within the last two weeks I installed a Dish system with two Wally receivers in my ACE 30.1. I did a roof mount using the King MB700 Quick Release Mount. I ran two cables through the roof (used the same entrance as the tv antenna). Obviously this is not the same as you are planning but it worked out very well.

I believe that you do need to run both cables if you are using two receivers. I used the quick release so I could reposition the dish if it is blocked by trees, etc.. My research led me to believe using the cable entrance probably would not work due to the number of splitters that Thor installs. Haven't tried hooking the antenna up that way yet but it would simplify things when I need to reposition the antenna if it did work.

Thor customer service did provide a construction drawing of the roof tresses and hard points.

Good Luck and Safe Travels