Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #141
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site Butch.

Yes: I had a simple circuit setup that was working and then FW29z pointed out that FDC1004 part/prototype board. The board works much more reliably than my simple circuit did.

The Arduino code is attached--its pretty simple.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ArduinoCode.txt (2.3 KB, 128 views)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #142

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome to the site Butch.

Yes: I had a simple circuit setup that was working and then FW29z pointed out that FDC1004 part/prototype board. The board works much more reliably than my simple circuit did.

The Arduino code is attached--its pretty simple.
Thanks so much! Are all of these includes related to Bluetooth? I won't be using that, so I want to delete as much as possible.

#include <RBL_nRF8001.h>
#include <RBL_services.h>

#include <aci.h>
#include <acilib.h>
#include <acilib_defs.h>
#include <acilib_if.h>
#include <acilib_types.h>
#include <aci_cmds.h>
#include <aci_evts.h>
#include <aci_protocol_defines.h>
#include <aci_queue.h>
#include <aci_setup.h>
#include <ble_assert.h>
#include <boards.h>
#include <dtm.h>
#include <hal_aci_tl.h>
#include <hal_platform.h>
#include <lib_aci.h>
Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #143
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchSmartini View Post
Thanks so much! Are all of these includes related to Bluetooth? I won't be using that, so I want to delete as much as possible.

#include <RBL_nRF8001.h>
#include <RBL_services.h>

#include <aci.h>
#include <acilib.h>
#include <acilib_defs.h>
#include <acilib_if.h>
#include <acilib_types.h>
#include <aci_cmds.h>
#include <aci_evts.h>
#include <aci_protocol_defines.h>
#include <aci_queue.h>
#include <aci_setup.h>
#include <ble_assert.h>
#include <boards.h>
#include <dtm.h>
#include <hal_aci_tl.h>
#include <hal_platform.h>
#include <lib_aci.h>
I believe the top two RBL_* includes are for the bluetooth shield.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #144

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13729
Quote:
I believe the top two RBL_* includes are for the bluetooth shield.
Ah, I got my full answer: looking at the BLEPeripheral library, I see every one of those files that I was asking about. OK, cool - I don't need any of them.

I will try to strip the program down to the bare minimum for reading the capacitance and displaying it on the serial monitor. I have other plans for getting the data where I need it.

I do have another question, if you don't mind. When you're looking at the raw data on the serial monitor, what kind of range are you seeing in the capacitance readings between an empty tank, a half-full tank, and a full tank? (In the actual installation on your tank, that is - not on the workbench.) My problem was all of my readings were too close together. I'm hoping for a really wide range - hundreds of units of measurement between each 1/4 tank.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #145
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchSmartini View Post
Ah, I got my full answer: looking at the BLEPeripheral library, I see every one of those files that I was asking about. OK, cool - I don't need any of them.

I will try to strip the program down to the bare minimum for reading the capacitance and displaying it on the serial monitor. I have other plans for getting the data where I need it.

I do have another question, if you don't mind. When you're looking at the raw data on the serial monitor, what kind of range are you seeing in the capacitance readings between an empty tank, a half-full tank, and a full tank? (In the actual installation on your tank, that is - not on the workbench.) My problem was all of my readings were too close together. I'm hoping for a really wide range - hundreds of units of measurement between each 1/4 tank.
With the FDC1004 I'm getting readings in the thousands between empty and full (like empty is something like 15,000 and full is 50,000--although they may be backwards my algorithm in the phone doesn't care if the range goes from 15k to 50k or from 50k to 15k).
Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 PM   #146

THOR #13163
As a new Thor owner and an old electronics guy I really appreciate what you guys have done.

I would like to do what you have done (capacitive system) but use the existing system of lights to show the level.

I have a lot of Arduino experience.

I will use the code listed and adopt and use the arduino to trigger the sensors of the current system.

Is this working in your MH?
Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 AM   #147
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLeppard View Post
As a new Thor owner and an old electronics guy I really appreciate what you guys have done.

I would like to do what you have done (capacitive system) but use the existing system of lights to show the level.

I have a lot of Arduino experience.

I will use the code listed and adopt and use the arduino to trigger the sensors of the current system.

Is this working in your MH?
That was my original plan: just light up the existing indicators using the new circuit. I then found a bluetooth module and figured I could do it with a phone without having to disturb the existing system.

Yes it works, however, if you hook up more than just the black tank you have to ensure that the signal wires for each tank are shielded against each other--otherwise you'll get some crosstalk and the level of one tank will affect the reading of the other.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #148

THOR #13163
I was thinking it would just be the black water.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:18 PM   #149

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Washington
THOR #25353
Weigh each tank

I haven't looked underneath yet at my tanks as my rv is brand new. However, this isn't my first RV and I know the the tank readings are notoriously wrong. I was going to see if I could build something that measures the weight of each tank. That way there isn't anything to get all corroded and gummed up. It will be a year before I even think about doing it, tho, as I have other fish to fry.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #150
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
I haven't looked underneath yet at my tanks as my rv is brand new. However, this isn't my first RV and I know the the tank readings are notoriously wrong. I was going to see if I could build something that measures the weight of each tank. That way there isn't anything to get all corroded and gummed up. It will be a year before I even think about doing it, tho, as I have other fish to fry.
That was the reasoning behind the capacitive sensor: Its just a couple of strips of copper tape on the outside of the tank--nothing inside and no modifications to the tank.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #151

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Washington
THOR #25353
Quote:
That was the reasoning behind the capacitive sensor: Its just a couple of strips of copper tape on the outside of the tank--nothing inside and no modifications to the tank.
So do you have the final plan for your working model? Looks like its been 6 years or so on the project and I don't really want to duplicate something you have already done. I admit I haven't read the entire thread. I'm just looking for a solution.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 AM   #152

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
I've been looking at this as well and so far I've come a number of interesting articles and videos.

Good explanation of the principle:

DIY project:

I wonder if these sensors would work: https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Capaci.../dp/B07H3P1NRM

MIT project: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...fdc1004-9333c7