Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Doghouse Insulation

I was quite surprised to find out how extremely loud the RV got traveling down the road, particularly once speeds exceeded 45-50 mph. Could not hear the radio and could barely have a conversation with my wife.

Using an app on my iphone, I determined that I was averaging 95db at 65 mph. This is loud enough to cause hearing damage. I ended up driving with earplugs just to make things bearable and safe.
I searched the forums, found that this is a common complaint and found several solutions. I went ahead and ordered some Dynamat from Amazon.

Arrived yesterday, installed today. Just waiting for the chance to get on the highway and take some new measurements and will report back at that time.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	23347  

Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #2

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
Dynamat mat or FATMAT : I used FATMAT stuck it over existing doghouse insulation and also put it on -from underneath- cab floor boards and wheel wells . Made huge difference to my ears.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #3

THOR #1249
Looking forward to your numbers on the sound. I think you will reduce it considerably with the insul. in the doghouse. There are other steps also as mentioned that will help a lot. If you do a search on forum you will find various ways to reduce sound limited only by $$ and time.
I am still trying to improve my kit build going on 5 years now.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, I have seen a significate drop in temperature and sound levels after I used Dynomatt / Fat mat (Used two diff type of insulation... Used the Thinner + Denser type then covered with the Thicker 3/4 inch foam with aluminum backing).

I also insulated the entire firewall (from under the hood) and the underside of the Dash of my Axis (from under the hood), and under the cockpit floor area for a few feet. Im very happy with the sound levels now. Much easier to live with. Now I hear the wind noise from the mirror and side windows that I never heard before.

I have triple layers where I can get away with it. The more the better IMO.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:09 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #18547
Holy smokes! Whatever you are doing now, STOP, order the Dynamat and insulate your doghouse.

Finally went for a ride in the RV today and the reduction in the noise level was amazing. I was going 70mph on the highway and didn't even realize it as I was able to have a conversation with my wife without having to shout.

A much more pleasant driving experience.

On a technical note, the iphone app really did not show much reduction in db. Not sure why that is the case.

As others have stated, it is unbelievable that the factory does not add this insulation.

James
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah I guess Ford is saving money on the Cutaway chassis (C Class) and THor is saving money on the Stripper chassis (A Class) but NOT adding insulation.

But IMO the customer satifation of the Thor products would go up greatly if they would add some insulation (esp. in the dog house area).

Heck Thor could have an option of "Super Quiet Ride" for like $1000 more and many of us would pay for it. But I would expect significant insulation like I have done to mine (under Dash, Firewall, Dog House, Under my feet etc).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
I ordered my 23U on a Chevy Express platform and it's very quiet and the doghouse does not get hot. The doghouse is much better insulate. The Express is slightly longer and affords much better foot room.
This is the second Class C I've ordered with the Chevy.

I don't know why GM doesn't promote their cutaway chassis more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGallagher View Post
I was quite surprised to find out how extremely loud the RV got traveling down the road, particularly once speeds exceeded 45-50 mph. Could not hear the radio and could barely have a conversation with my wife.

Using an app on my iphone, I determined that I was averaging 95db at 65 mph. This is loud enough to cause hearing damage. I ended up driving with earplugs just to make things bearable and safe.
I searched the forums, found that this is a common complaint and found several solutions. I went ahead and ordered some Dynamat from Amazon.

Arrived yesterday, installed today. Just waiting for the chance to get on the highway and take some new measurements and will report back at that time.

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #4602
Approx. how many square ft. did you use?
Old 04-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #9
MBM

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
THOR #12935
[QUOTE=JGallagher;231080]I was quite surprised to find out how extremely loud the RV got traveling down the road, particularly once speeds exceeded 45-50 mph. Could not hear the radio and could barely have a conversation with my wife.

Thank you JGallagher. I appreciate you sharing this information. I have the same noise problem with our 2017 Freedom Elite 23H. We drove to Moab, Utah in 2018 and we would just stop to give our ears a break. I will order it and put it on since there isn't a whole lot else do these days. I am sure it would not affect the engine's temperature. Again, thank you so much and eagerly await your reporting back the results.

Martin
Ocala, FL
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #10

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Compare https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with Dynamat.

I used this on doghouse & wheel wells with awesome results.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGallagher View Post

Thank you.

Looking forward to how the installation worked.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Compare https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with Dynamat.

I used this on doghouse & wheel wells with awesome results.
Did you just stick this stuff up directly onto the surface exposed to the road? I thought about this but wasn’t sure it would stay stuck exposed to the elements inside the wheel well. I was scared ir it came unglued going down the road it would tear something up.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #12722
sound proofing

I'm looking at doing that to the underneath, but was wondering how well it would hold up to the elements like water and road other stuff that fly's up and hits it
Old 04-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #14

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
THOR #18251
I can only speak to “Fat mat” product as that’s what I have used. The exposed side is like an aluminum tape it’s thick. So far with less then 300 miles I see no visible adverse damage to the fat mat I applied in top of wheel wells. To my ears it has made a big difference to the noise level inside when driving. My next project with it will be to line the compartment the generator is mounted in.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #16745
In Fayetteville also

Hello, we are in Fayetteville also and are new owners if a Vegas. Would love to connect and learn more about your mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I guess Ford is saving money on the Cutaway chassis (C Class) and THor is saving money on the Stripper chassis (A Class) but NOT adding insulation.

But IMO the customer satifation of the Thor products would go up greatly if they would add some insulation (esp. in the dog house area).

Heck Thor could have an option of "Super Quiet Ride" for like $1000 more and many of us would pay for it. But I would expect significant insulation like I have done to mine (under Dash, Firewall, Dog House, Under my feet etc).
Old 04-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #16

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #12722
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #17

Model: Quantum WS31
THOR #18253
Road noise

I have a 2018 Thor Quantum 32W and the road noise was bad started looking around and the floor 3 inch drop between the Thor body and Ford cab had a half inch OPEN gap between the two bodies that was only covered by a 3 inch strip of carpet. Quality workman ship. Dynomat great on that and the entire floor in the cab
Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #18

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I insulated the doghouse in my 2018 Chateau with Dynamat, and it helped, but it wasn't a huge difference. I think adding insulation above the engine would also help. There is a metal sheet between the engine and the dash, and adding insulation on that might help.

My next project will be to add insulation to the floors and firewall inside the cab.