Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Delaware
THOR #5616
doghouse soundproofing

Has anyone had any experience with putting sound deadening material in the doghouse? I have an ACE 29.2 and would like to make it quieter, but am concerned about the heat inside the doghouse. Upon doing some research I found that there are a couple of materials that have been used. Anyone had success with doing that?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Search the threads for: engine silencing or sound deadening. There is a great thread where a member installed DynaMat in his doghouse, available from Amazon and there are links in the thread. Great job with lots of pictures! Best job I seen!

Just looked, the thread is sound deadening the Challenger.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Here is one link, I'll look for the other!!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...adio-5877.html
Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
I did mine with fat mat, was fairly simple to do, it has its own adhesive. Remember, when you have the doghouse cover off, to cover all of the surrounding areas that you can reach beyond just the cover, it made a huge difference on sound and heat.

FatMat Hood-Liner 34" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Automotive Sound Deadening Hood Liner - Aluminum Face https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6X4V7C..._La5yzbXM1H8NV
Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with putting sound deadening material in the doghouse? I have an ACE 29.2 and would like to make it quieter, but am concerned about the heat inside the doghouse. Upon doing some research I found that there are a couple of materials that have been used. Anyone had success with doing that?
Here is the link for when I sound deadened the Challenger.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...egin-1515.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
I know a couple people have mentioned concerns about trapping more heat in the engine compartment (which has to happen if we are going to keep it out of cab area) and whether that could harm the engine/components.

Any real concern here?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I know a couple people have mentioned concerns about trapping more heat in the engine compartment (which has to happen if we are going to keep it out of cab area) and whether that could harm the engine/components.

Any real concern here?
The heat that was heating up your floor and seeping into the cabin before you add insulation has to go somewhere. However the area below the rear of the engine and transmission is all open below the floor, so the heat dissipates to the open air. I noticed no difference in my engine temp before and after adding fatmat.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #8

THOR #5616
Thank you everyone for your kind and quick response. I will check out each tip. You guys sure are a helpful bunch.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

Any real concern here?
NO! The heat from the engine was never supposed to dissipate through the cab. Your blanketing the cab not the engine and if this causes an engine to overheat there are some serious design flaws going on here.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
One and Halibut are absolutely correct, there will not be any trapped heat in the engine compartment. Adding the insulation to the doghouse prevents heat transfer to the cab, there is constant air flow around the engine components and no danger of overheating anything. Adding the insulation only adds 3/4-1" of thickness to the underside of the doghouse leaving plenty of room for air.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #11

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #5063
I have an 2015 Ace and I put dynamat on the inside of the doghouse. I went right over the factory stuff and have had zero issues with it. One of the best do it yourself things you can do. Bought my mat from a local automotive paint/body shop store right around a 100 bucks.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #12

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
ACE 30.2

Have you noticed much of a noise reduction after you put in the Dynemat? I'm looking to do it for my ACE 30.1
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #13

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
ACE 30.2

Have you noticed much of a noise reduction after you put in the Dynemat? I'm looking to do it for my ACE 30.1
Huge difference in noise reduction. Now I'm trying to find other places to use it. Highly recommend it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
ACE 30.2

I gained about 10db reduction when I added all the insulation in the dog house and engine compartment. See the thread referenced in the below pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5069.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	5785  
Old 07-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
Huge difference in noise reduction. Now I'm trying to find other places to use it. Highly recommend it.
One place I am looking at are the driver and passenger side floor pans. My coach has a couple of steel plates in that area that are used for mounting the seats and there is zip, nada, nothing in the area for sound deadening or insulation. Since Dynamat is designed taking overhead applications into consideration I believe that is the likely spot to work next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers side floor pan.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	5786
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
My recent tour of plant 750 (ACE, HURRICANE AND WINDSPORT) was very informative. It is easy to see why we have issues with heat in the cap, floor. There is no insulation at at all, except air trap between the floorboard spacer. I definitely have to do this while in MN on a trip to see family. I will report back.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #17

THOR #5616
Well my sound deadening material should be here in a day or two, Thank you dstankov for steering me to the right stuff. I have installed the new grill that Thor sent me, now I can't wait to get the doghouse up to snuff and go for a test run. By the way dstankov, if you're catching this post, my original "insulation" of the doghouse was even worse than what yours looked like in your pictures. Thor really pays little or no attention to this during construction, no wonder it's noisy.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
Well my sound deadening material should be here in a day or two, Thank you dstankov for steering me to the right stuff. I have installed the new grill that Thor sent me, now I can't wait to get the doghouse up to snuff and go for a test run. By the way dstankov, if you're catching this post, my original "insulation" of the doghouse was even worse than what yours looked like in your pictures. Thor really pays little or no attention to this during construction, no wonder it's noisy.
If you go the way I did with both Dynamat and the Dynamat Hood Liner, for giggles, before you start rap on the doghouse with your knuckles and take notice of the sound and feel. Then after the installation do the same thing in the same spot and notice the difference. The feel of mine went from sheet of plastic (before) to slab of concrete (after). The sound went from hollow (before) to solid (after).

Enjoy, IMHO it is a worthwhile project. Keep us posted on your results.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #19

THOR #5616
Thanks I'll do that. Got an email that shipment was split and I should have all of it by Thur afternoon. Hopefully I'll get it done by the weekend. I will post on how it went, and my opinion on the rap difference.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #20

THOR #5616
just got done soundproofing the doghouse. More work than I figured. Weird shape of the doghouse made it tough to figure out. Not too bad with the Extreme soundproofing sheets, but tough getting the hoodliner on. The worst part was reinstalling the doghouse. Getting the screws in was a fight! By the time I got done it was too late for a test run, will do that another day real soon. Did the rap test before and after and it is much more solid sounding after. Anxious to test drive, really hope the work was worth it.