Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
From double decker bus to RV in 20 steps

Very very cool mod! Amusing video

Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
What an awesome project -- incredibly gutsy to take on that size a motorhome involving so much planning and work. Turned out great though.

Seeing that that bus is only a little over 13 feet tall makes me wonder how much headroom each floor has. While in London a couple of years ago we rode in a couple of double-decker buses and headroom couldn't have been much over 5'-8" or so. Most men could not stand straight.

I briefly thought of buying a large van and custom building a motorhome like this guy did, except a miniature version in size, and quickly talked myself out of it. You'd need so much time, space, tools, skills, patience, etc.... to do it right.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Many years ago my grandfather, who was a great engineer, decided to make his own Rv from a large Chevy van. He drew blueprints and got to work, after about six months he was done. My grandmother didn't like the cramped space and refused to ride, the Rv never made a single trip. The next week my grandfather went and bought a new Winnebago Chieftain, the biggest Rv at the time, brought it home and asked my grandmother if she would ride in it, she agreed! They put over 100,000 miles on the Winnie before they retired it!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #4

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Many years ago my grandfather, who was a great engineer, decided to make his own Rv from a large Chevy van. He drew blueprints and got to work, after about six months he was done. My grandmother didn't like the cramped space and refused to ride, the Rv never made a single trip. The next week my grandfather went and bought a new Winnebago Chieftain, the biggest Rv at the time, brought it home and asked my grandmother if she would ride in it, she agreed! They put over 100,000 miles on the Winnie before they retired it!
Amazing!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What an awesome project -- incredibly gutsy to take on that size a motorhome involving so much planning and work. Turned out great though.

Seeing that that bus is only a little over 13 feet tall makes me wonder how much headroom each floor has. While in London a couple of years ago we rode in a couple of double-decker buses and headroom couldn't have been much over 5'-8" or so. Most men could not stand straight.

I briefly thought of buying a large van and custom building a motorhome like this guy did, except a miniature version in size, and quickly talked myself out of it. You'd need so much time, space, tools, skills, patience, etc.... to do it right.
I wonder how much that engine cost?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I wonder how much that engine cost?
No idea, but if I had to guess I'd say around $10,000 for a remanufactured Diesel engine. Just a WAG on my part. The important part was that his wife took it well.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Cool story SuperD.

Yeah, even though the latest van campers can be much larger than they use to be, they still feel cramped compared to the smallest of Class As, which I believe in US is presently the Axis/Vegas 24.1 at 25'-6" in length.

I think there is an opportunity for a manufacturer to split the difference with a smaller Class A, but they must think the market in the US is too small. In Europe manufacturers offer a lot of different Class As around 7 meters in length, which is around 23 feet.