RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Virginia
Posts: 57
THOR #19558
City water question

Still new to RV life, but we have a quick question regarding water hookup to “city” water: does this water go into the fresh water tank or does it go directly to the faucets? Just not sure if our “fresh” water tank stays stagnant if we use the city water hookup. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
John and Carol and Daisy the Wonder Dog
US Army Retired
2021 Freedom Elite 26HE, the "RITA V"
Our other toy: a Cessna 182Q, N182MM
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,761
THOR #8860
City water goes right to your faucets.
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
Posts: 1
THOR #19651
Water

We use the Berkey water filter system both in the RV and our home. A little pricey, but it will filter thousands of gallons before a replacement filter is needed and the Travel size is perfect for us.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
__________________
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #24
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Virginia
Posts: 57
THOR #19558
Thanks, Bob!

Thanks so much, Bob Denman! We knew you’d hop right onto this and give us the answer. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
__________________
John and Carol and Daisy the Wonder Dog
US Army Retired
2021 Freedom Elite 26HE, the "RITA V"
Our other toy: a Cessna 182Q, N182MM
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
macdaddy1111's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 220
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
62 years of drinking out of the hose and still kicking. I clean the freshwater tank about once a year and in 40 years of camping I have had zero cases of waterborne diseases. I do drink bottled water on the golf course because most used recycled wastewater but at home and in the camper it is straight from the tap.
I grew up drinking and swimming in Camp Lejeune water and still kicking!
__________________
Retired Squid who has a retired squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
Posts: 9
THOR #17805
Brita stream

We use this in RV and house. Have yet to replace filter? Water is great slim line fits in refrigerator or on counter.
__________________
Karen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:15 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,761
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Thanks so much, Bob Denman! We knew you’d hop right onto this and give us the answer. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Glad to help; but lots of folks in here would have been happy to answer your question.
I just got here firstest!
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #28
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
Posts: 78
THOR #19878
[QUOTE=macdaddy1111;248117]I grew up drinking and swimming in Camp Lejeune water and still kicking!

https://www.tampabay.com/news/milita...-camp/2309435/
__________________
roadrunner255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:40 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,761
THOR #8860
Macdaddy1111 is tougher and meaner...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:40 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
macdaddy1111's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 220
THOR #13505
[QUOTE=roadrunner255;248147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
I grew up drinking and swimming in Camp Lejeune water and still kicking!

https://www.tampabay.com/news/milita...-camp/2309435/
I know, I am already 100 percent VA from crap I got in Gulf War that fried my lungs and and ate up my leg bones! Don't get no more!

I was in old day care behind main gate from 3 to 5 sucking on milk made with Lejeune water and swimming it at the O club pool!!!
__________________
Retired Squid who has a retired squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
Posts: 18
THOR #857
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lbert View Post
hey all.


im tired of brining heavy cases of bottled water, i would love to have bottled water quality coming out of our kitchen sink.



has anyone done this?


thanks for any advice.


we have a thor hurricane (2017)
I installed one of these and it filters the water to bottled water “no taste”.

https://www.multipure.com/store/aquaversa.html
__________________
trek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:33 AM   #32
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 201
THOR #17478
This is the best I found a three stage filter from Clearsource.com and added a UV water purifier as well.


https://www.clearsourcerv.com/produc...-filter-system
__________________
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: DX 40
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 16
THOR #12998
Water filtration

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Looks very interesting for RV life. We have not yet pulled the trigger, but thinking about it.
__________________
Tuscany 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: New Mexico
Posts: 11
THOR #19859
We purchased a Clean 02 Water Filter it connects directly to the water faucet takes out the heavy particulates then filters through the additional water filter that simply screws into the Clean 02 Filtering to 1ppm. Very Please with this system...

https://www.clear2o.com
__________________
DavidJoyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #35
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
Posts: 60
THOR #12548
I installed a 3-stage filtration system under the bench seat closest to our kitchen sink for our 2019 Hurricane 34J. It's basically the same as what I have at home for the 3-Stage-plus-RO setup for our drinking water. The space is available, but fairly too awkward to use for convenient storage.

Knowing that the RO membrane is way to slow to be used for anything other than a few glasses of water at a time, I opted to forgo the RO stage and keep the flow rate high enough to use for the whole RV rig (showers and everything).

I like the clear plastic containers, so I can visually check them to see when they need replacement. While they usually only need it once a year (part time RV'ing family of 5), on one of the trips we noticed that the water had a bit of a well water taste and smell. The quality of that RV campground's water was so poor that the first two of the filters were browned out, and the first one had begun to get that slimy feel from so much iron being pulled out. -Yuck!

To each their own I suppose, as most of my RV circle just brings bottled water to drink and only showers with RV Park water. A couple of families just put that $10 blue camco filter outside on the hose and call that good enough. They poke fun at me and tease "gimme some of that tripled filter water!", but they all like hanging out at our RV and like being able to pull from the faucets when thirsty. They even more enjoy being able to have us dump extra ice made from the water into their coolers and cups.

Nerding out completely, I did a couple of additional things. I put in a bypass hose for the 3-stage system along with a Watchdog water sensor because these things can leak in the best of conditions (as compared to the rolling earthquakes from driving and 100+ degree storage conditions of an RV). The other thing is that I got an adapter for the 10' hose I bought to run from the outside kitchen into my clean water tank. I like being able to fill that up to at least 1/3 to have a water supply on hand while driving or parked somewhere. I generally put a splash of water treatment in there if the water is going to stay in the tank for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	25501  
__________________
Cwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,761
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1597081656
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awesome.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	25502  
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,180
THOR #11781
[QUOTE=macdaddy1111;248149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post

I know, I am already 100 percent VA from crap I got in Gulf War that fried my lungs and and ate up my leg bones! Don't get no more!

I was in old day care behind main gate from 3 to 5 sucking on milk made with Lejeune water and swimming it at the O club pool!!!
Thanks for your service. I made it through my 20 with relative ease.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #38
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 34J
State: California
Posts: 80
THOR #19488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
I installed a 3-stage filtration system under the bench seat closest to our kitchen sink for our 2019 Hurricane 34J. It's basically the same as what I have at home for the 3-Stage-plus-RO setup for our drinking water. The space is available, but fairly too awkward to use for convenient storage.

Knowing that the RO membrane is way to slow to be used for anything other than a few glasses of water at a time, I opted to forgo the RO stage and keep the flow rate high enough to use for the whole RV rig (showers and everything).

I like the clear plastic containers, so I can visually check them to see when they need replacement. While they usually only need it once a year (part time RV'ing family of 5), on one of the trips we noticed that the water had a bit of a well water taste and smell. The quality of that RV campground's water was so poor that the first two of the filters were browned out, and the first one had begun to get that slimy feel from so much iron being pulled out. -Yuck!

To each their own I suppose, as most of my RV circle just brings bottled water to drink and only showers with RV Park water. A couple of families just put that $10 blue camco filter outside on the hose and call that good enough. They poke fun at me and tease "gimme some of that tripled filter water!", but they all like hanging out at our RV and like being able to pull from the faucets when thirsty. They even more enjoy being able to have us dump extra ice made from the water into their coolers and cups.

Nerding out completely, I did a couple of additional things. I put in a bypass hose for the 3-stage system along with a Watchdog water sensor because these things can leak in the best of conditions (as compared to the rolling earthquakes from driving and 100+ degree storage conditions of an RV). The other thing is that I got an adapter for the 10' hose I bought to run from the outside kitchen into my clean water tank. I like being able to fill that up to at least 1/3 to have a water supply on hand while driving or parked somewhere. I generally put a splash of water treatment in there if the water is going to stay in the tank for a while.



i was just going to do this and keep the fixture in a old milk crate when we use it...in line with the hoses from spigot to our city water connection... why did you put inside with so many problems that could arise?


hope you see im not saying its bad, just looking for information...havent really decided what im going to do with my setup...just got it.
__________________
t0lbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #39
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
Posts: 60
THOR #12548
That’s actually a very good question. For me, my family has so much cra—-er, I mean stuff that we bring, basement storage is at a premium. I considered just having the equipment in the cabin of the RV and then just bringing it outside when we set up. But I’ve also lost the battle of not having things loose and stacked around inside while driving. Unfortunately, while driving the RV we run the risk of death-by-impaled-bananas, coffee maker, dog food bag, kid’s school bags, etc...

I found that space under the bench by accident one day, and was overjoyed to hear my family decide accessing that storage space was too much of a pain. So, my water treatment equipment was going to go in there anyway, and I thought “why not just make it work while in there anyway? One less thing to set up.”

To be honest, if I had the outside basement room to put the 3-stage equipment in a milk crate—I would. If I did that, then I’d also consider one of those portable mini water softeners and chain it after the milk crate. The wife gets hives/itchy skin on her legs while camping, and we think that having soft water might help with that.
__________________
Cwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,068
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
That’s actually a very good question. For me, my family has so much cra—-er, I mean stuff that we bring, basement storage is at a premium. I considered just having the equipment in the cabin of the RV and then just bringing it outside when we set up. But I’ve also lost the battle of not having things loose and stacked around inside while driving. Unfortunately, while driving the RV we run the risk of death-by-impaled-bananas, coffee maker, dog food bag, kid’s school bags, etc...

I found that space under the bench by accident one day, and was overjoyed to hear my family decide accessing that storage space was too much of a pain. So, my water treatment equipment was going to go in there anyway, and I thought “why not just make it work while in there anyway? One less thing to set up.”

To be honest, if I had the outside basement room to put the 3-stage equipment in a milk crate—I would. If I did that, then I’d also consider one of those portable mini water softeners and chain it after the milk crate. The wife gets hives/itchy skin on her legs while camping, and we think that having soft water might help with that.
Whatever equipment is outside it sure is best to tuck it under anyplace out of the direct sunlight. Same with extra hose length, tuck it under the RV out of direct sun

I use a 5 filter type system with a 75 gpd RO and simply fill up my tank and then put it in the tote and back in storage. Luckily I have excess storage so that isnt an issue.

Anyone thinking of using RO you will most likely need to get one with a booster pump to get decent rejection and flow
__________________

__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×