Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Driveway slope and levelers

Our driveway slopes down 8" in 30 feet and 2" to the left.

If we use our new levelers, the front wheels are off the ground, not comforting.

Prior to this, I had ramps 5 and 6" high we drove the Chateau on. She wasn't completely level, but close. That evolution caused some consternation.

What I'm thinking is lifting the front end with the levelers, sliding the rebuilt ramps under the front tires and lowering her onto them.

Should work.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
How have your leveling ramps held up. Presumably you used them before you had hydraulic levelers installed.

I searched for heavy truck ramps and found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They lift about 6-1/2" and have a rated capacity of 10,000 lbs per ramp. Even though they are well built I backed into one too far and cracked the back plastic. Filled the back compartment with concrete to reinforce that area and it seems fine.

My driveway slopes downward like yours but isn't out of level crosswise. Using these levelers results in a 1-1/2 degree out of level situation which is well within the Dometic absorption fridge spec of +/- 3 degrees.

So far I have no plans to install hydraulic levelers. The $150 pair of these ramps seems to be doing fine.

David
Old 06-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22687
Built them out of pressure treated 2X10's. I don't want to keep it on the levelers in the driveway. I stair stepped the ramps to make it easier to get up.

Probably had $50 in materials.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Can anybody reassure me?...today I found that the Fridge is not performing well...Dometic N61X it's warm and freezer is just about cold at the back lower left...(me and the wife are having a melt down)...it's in a Citation 24SJ and has been parked on a 4* to 5* slope at 5150 ft...no fault codes or blinking lights...moved it to level ground about a hour ago...I will be able to get it to about 4900 in about 3 hours...
Is any body put there experienced this before?...will it recover eventually?
Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Dometic's spec for out of level is +/- 6 degrees front to back (of the fridge) and +/- 3 degrees side to side. Assuming your fridge is located along a side of your RV as most are, you definitely exceed the spec at 4-5 degrees.

Level it out and see how it works. Long term operation exceeding those specs can permanently damage a fridge.

David
Old 10-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I see no problem with the front tires off the ground at times when using levelers.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
When we auto level our front tires are almost always off the ground, E450.

I build a ramp out of these, usually 3 or 4 high.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...s%2C427&sr=8-7

You could build one 4 high and one 2 high for the low corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61Ds4SjQJhL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-10,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	34279  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:54 AM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Dometic's spec for out of level is +/- 6 degrees front to back (of the fridge) and +/- 3 degrees side to side. Assuming your fridge is located along a side of your RV as most are, you definitely exceed the spec at 4-5 degrees.

Level it out and see how it works. Long term operation exceeding those specs can permanently damage a fridge.

David
David…thank you sooo much for your response…I read it while I was driving to the RV park at 4900 feet and at that time we could see the fridge was definitely getting colder and close to normal…it may not be just as cold as is was…let’s hope it gets back to the normal level of service tomorrow!…again thanks…hooray for the Forum!
Old 10-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I see no problem with the front tires off the ground at times when using levelers.
Not sure which leveling system you have but the ultra level on the omni has a warning NOT to raise a tire off the ground with the leveling system. Likely lawyer talk but lifting and leaving the suspension dangling can bend, twist, tweak the frame and body components. Damage slide comments and seals. Feel free to do what you wish with your RV but it's bad advice to give someone.

EDIT adding. I carry a variety of boards to place under tires if necessary to prevent that. I also carry built up wood blocks to put under the jack feet to reduce the extension and "spindly legs". Some parks require wood or equivalent blocks under jacks.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
...EDIT adding. I carry a variety of boards to place under tires if necessary to prevent that. I also carry built up wood blocks to put under the jack feet to reduce the extension and "spindly legs". Some parks require wood or equivalent blocks under jacks.
OR use "cut down" rubber stall mats from Tractor Supply.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Not sure which leveling system you have but the ultra level on the omni has a warning NOT to raise a tire off the ground with the leveling system. Likely lawyer talk but lifting and leaving the suspension dangling can bend, twist, tweak the frame and body components. Damage slide comments and seals. Feel free to do what you wish with your RV but it's bad advice to give someone.

WOW! Better not put any RV's on a lift.
That would lift all 4 wheels of the ground.

How much damage is done changing a flat tire??
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I think a more accurate statement would be "IMPROPER lifting of the frame MAY cause damage." For instance, dropping a SINGLE hydraulic leveling jack to full extension COULD cause flexing of the frame.

I have read it is SUGGESTED to lift either an entire end of the RV (front or rear), or entire side of the RV (left or right), NOT just a single corner.

There are documented cases of RV structural damage which caused doors and windows to not open/close properly - likely caused by excessive diagonal cross-frame torque applied.

My Big Foot leveling system will drop in PAIRS - both front OR both rear - when using the preset "start" button. You can also adjust each jack individually - but you're on your own using COMMON SENSE with the intent to LEVEL the RV... not excessive lifting of a SINGLE corner.

P.S. This has nothing to do with letting the suspension "dangle". I actually asked my mechanic (a supervisor at the city bus garage) about this. He stated they leave bus frames up on support jacks for days in the city bus garage while replacing chassis/engine components - built on the same Ford E-450 chassis used for motorhomes.