Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Drove around the block in a heavily modified Vegas...

...and the wheels didn't fall off. lol. And by "the block" I mean the entire country. This is a follow-up to this thread... http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...gas-14108.html

So our daughter had our first grandchild, unfortunately she lives 3100 miles away from us in upstate New York. My wife got some time off work so we decided to drive instead of flying to see the new baby. We threw a bunch of stuff in the Vegas and took off. It had 30 miles on my new wheel/tire swap when we left. Even with the comments about impending doom and death, I had total confidence it would be fine. And it was beyond that, it was AMAZING!

The entire trip me and my wife kept saying the same thing, "OMG I can't imagine taking a trip like this with those cr@ppy little SUV tires on this thing". We don't like to drive slow, we cruised for hours on end at over 75mph, I actually did 3 hours straight at 85+mph! (Notice the speedo in the picture below. GPS speed was actually reading 92mph.) We drove in everything from 100+ degree heat to 30 degrees with snow on the roads. This wasn't really a sight-seeing trip, although we did take several detours to visit friends and see some cool stuff.

So how did the wheels and tires do? Freakin' amazing! After checking the tire temps at a few stops, I ended up running 75psi front and back when checked @70 degrees. The highest tire pressures I saw on the tpms was ~90psi when it was 100+ degrees outside and we were running fast for hours. Perfect temp readings across the entire tread and no tire wear shown whatsoever after putting ~6300 miles on them. I checked the lug nuts a few times, they never lost torque whatsoever. I also checked the front hub temps, they were pretty much slightly above ambient temps. The front rotors and calipers didn't get hot even with heavy braking abuse. The ride and handling is night and day different. The "floaty" feel that the original tires had even at 85psi is gone. It handles like a car in heavy wind and mountain roads. The ride is smoother and quieter by a large margin over the stock tires. And cruising at higher speeds is awesome, much lower rpm's and less rolling resistance with the taller, highway rib tires.

And the last part, gas mileage... We averaged a little below 10mpg for the entire trip! That's pretty darn good considering we averaged probably 70mph for the entire trip. Plenty of headwinds too, we only had one day of nice tailwinds. There's no way we would have gotten that kind of mileage with the smaller all-season tires running that fast.

Anyway, just thought I'd post a follow-up on how the wheel/tire swap worked out on our first long trip. California to upstate New York and back. Northern route there and southern route back. 6 days there and 5 days back, 6300 miles total. I think we stayed in 9 Walmart's and 2 truck stops. lol. All of my mods worked amazing. The only issues were a stress crack at the bottom of the windshield and the furnace wouldn't stay lit on the last night of the trip back. Good thing I put that Coleman Mach 8 Heat Pump on the back! I fired that up and we had heat even though the furnace quit.

The second to last picture below some of you might recognize. It's outside of Wendover on highway 80, before you go across the salt flats towards Salt Lake City. We had to stop there because it was the rest stop that we stopped at almost 30 years ago so I could unbolt our roof AC unit to turn it around backwards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_084840.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	13373   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_130809.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	13374  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_142654.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	13375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180919-WA0014.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	13376  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
We never had a doubt...

So how does your lovely Bride feel about finally having to sleep with somebody's Grandfather?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I can't believe you actually took that think out on the public highway...much less, endangered your wife's life and everyone else on the highway with those dangerous tires and wheels that could just fly off at any minute!!!

JUST KIDDING!!! Looks good...I would have to sit on a 5 gallon bucket to run mine that fast...wouldn't want to mess up the seats!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ignorance is bliss: isn't it?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I love the look!! Always been a fan of bigger and wider tires on every vehicle I bought.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: it's WAY "too cool for school"!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Well done, sir! Nice mpg too!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That's great. Looks like a cool trip too.

And you drove right by me and didn't even stop?? (from your map looks like you went through Detroit tunnel or bridge--that takes you within about 5 miles of us !--even if you took 94 all the way up to Port Huron you still drove by our house LOL).

Also bad news for you: I get 9 and change mpg all the time in our Axis. It seems to be stuck there no matter what we do: pull a toad, don't pull a toad, go 75 mph, go 65 mph...its just 9 and change. Thus with your "a little below 10mpg" could just be due to the trans (I have an older unit with the older trans). Although your's is a tad bit longer and, likely, a few 1k lbs heavier...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats awesome. Good job sir. I love the looks of your RV. Very aggressive looking.

Need to black out the front windows and add a Knight Rider flashing red light to the front. LOL.

Thats one heck of a test drive. I hoping me an my bride can do some long runs next year (or so) ..... right now we are still taking care of my mom = in home hospice :-(
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Terrific report and congrats on your promotion to Grandpa! I'm siding with the high pucker factor crowd re: 90mph indicated but good for you. I did change out the tires to 235/85 and enjoyed the ride for ~2300 miles this month. My question for you is, how did you recalibrate the speedo? What's involved? TIA
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote