Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
E-450 31W Add Batteries

Have a 2015 Chateau 31W. Going to Alaska and probably do some boon docking. Since this unit has a home frig I would like to add extra batteries so I can go longer between charging....etc. I have read that it can handle 4 batteries....how can this be done??????

Old 12-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
With enough money and motivation anything can be done. Adding extra batteries to your coach falls on the easy end of that scale.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

THOR #17621
Ok...how was the quesI think
tion....got the money...
Old 12-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
So I’m guessing that you are asking about where to mount?
Many on this site have mounted 2 additional batteries in one of the outside storage compartments near the two OEM house batteries.
You will need to mount near so that you can connect all 4 batteries with proper cabling.
As long as they are mounted correctly and securely, and the cables are properly connected...you are golden.

The other question that must be answered...
- are they 6 volt or 12 volt
- are they connected in series or parallel

If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you should probably pay an expert to assist you.

Finally...it is always best to start with 4 new/like brand batteries when you decide to attack this mod. That way they will all charge and dis-charge equally.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

THOR #17621
Thanks...I'll do further investigations. I had planned to do all new gell cells. There is an empty storage directly beside the steps.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
My only concern would be the weight of the additional batteries and how they will affect your GVWR and GAWR.
The GVWR for your 31W is 14500 lbs which is the same as my Freedom Elite 32FE. While our floor plans are different, my unit, when fully loaded for a trip, is within 200 lbs of the rear axel GAWR.
My question to you is, have you weighed your coach so you know what your weight limits are?
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4lb@hotmail.com View Post
Have a 2015 Chateau 31W. Going to Alaska and probably do some boon docking. Since this unit has a home frig I would like to add extra batteries so I can go longer between charging....etc. I have read that it can handle 4 batteries....how can this be done??????
I have a 31L and will do the same thing when springs breaks in a few months. I have the two-way fridge and just need more longevity between charges.

There 'appears' to be enough room under the step, behind the existing house batteries. There is one obstacle (at least for me). There's, what I'll call, a junction block mounted on the left inside of the storage frame. I say frame because it all exposed to the elements. The word 'box' doesn't apply. There are no 'sides' per se.

Crawl under the coach and check the storage frame. Look for signs of stress failures (e.g. cracked frame members, broken welds, etc) to make sure you have what it takes to support the weight. I'm considering moving that junction block to the outside and doing something more to protect the batteries against the elements. The frame is wide open to whatever occurs under the coach - driving or sitting.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4lb@hotmail.com View Post
I’ve done the Alaska road trip twice in the last five years. And plan to go again in June. Battery capacity not a concern.

You’d do fine with two high quality new batteries. Alaska requires a lot of driving. It will keep your batteries charged.

You might do better with 100-200 watts of solar if not convinced. Likely plenty of daylight when you’ll go. Amount of clouds and rain depends on your route but I understand solar works fine with clouds.

Not sure how much power a residential fridge demands but it will be fine. If necessary you can run gen a couple of hours and it will stay fine for eight hours of more if you leave the door shut. Need to leave it off eight hours with propane if you take the ferry. Alaska temperatures are cool.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Boondocking

kk4lb, There is a web site that will probably be worth your while, and other travellers too. Its called Boondockers Welcome. Once you join up you can boondock in the U.S. Canada, Mexico and Europe on a members property for free. A lot of people supply electricity, water, wifi, and other amenities. Its worth a look at least. We joined this year and one stay pays for itself if you were planning to stay an a campground.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I managed to modify & fit 4- 6 volt deep cycle interstate batteries under the steps of my ws31 (same as the 31w) The battery tray is big enough the fit four, it's the height that is too much. They are 11" tall compared to some agm's at 9.65". Try to find a 6 volt AGM, they are closer to a 12 v in height.
INTERSTATE SITE- https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ies/deep-cycle

https://www.apexbattery.com/apex-apx...m-battery.html
Old 12-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #11

Model: FW Chateau Citatiion 23BA
State: Tennessee
THOR #8316
IF u have deep pockets. would also look at going to lithium battery's.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:52 AM   #12

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
kk4lb, There is a web site that will probably be worth your while, and other travellers too. Its called Boondockers Welcome. Once you join up you can boondock in the U.S. Canada, Mexico and Europe on a members property for free. A lot of people supply electricity, water, wifi, and other amenities. Its worth a look at least. We joined this year and one stay pays for itself if you were planning to stay an a campground.
The web site is boondockerswelcom.com. I joined a few months back. I’ve hosted five so far and used four. All have worked out marvelously. Most ( like me) provide electricity. Not all. The web site tells you amenities.

I’ll look into using it on my trip to AK in June. The owners are Canadian, but there are already many US sites.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 AM   #13

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Gel Cell batteries are expensive, they also require a different charger, do your research before you buy, I put 4 group 29 gel cells in my AXIS 25.4, I bought a 2000 watt inverter/charger, it has different settings for all the different batteries for the charge cycle, I did price the Lithium once, $1,500.00 for one battery,
Old 01-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #14

Model: 2016 class c 31w
THOR #9093
31w battery box

i added 1 12v battery to the box works good desert boondocking is done with a 2200 gen in my trailer at night to recharge batteries and keep the frig up
Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Battery longevity

Not to hijack the thread here, but approximately how long can you dry camp on the batteries with a residential fridge before needing to charge? Question is based on having a pair of standard 12 volt wet cells that normally come as original equipment. Been mulling over a different coach with the 120 volt fridge but we do a lot of National Forest Campgrounds and I have been leary of fridge run time on batts.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote