Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
E-450 to E-550 front coil springs

I have added a front bumper hitch. Installed a homemade tool box to carry port-a-power jack set because I carry, and will change my own flat tire with an on-board spare. This is a lot of weight on the front, especially since it carries a propane bottle their too.

Does anyone know if Ford E-550 front coil springs will fit in my E-450 class C motor home?

I am not intimidated in doing the job myself. I do need to know the part would fit. So I ask here first.
TIA

Old 06-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Just a note or two.

We don't know year of your vehicle

I have a 10,000lb 12v jack that weighs 8lbs and costs $90.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...487-30546.html
I love My front hitch.

I can't imagine a propane tank up front not being a regulatory issue as it is actually a bomb in a chain crash.
I personally would thinkba lot less of someone doing this. About the same as I do someone mounting their spare to the stock aluminium ladder.

550 might not be a spring weight/coil/load upgrade.

I've had my 200lb winch hanging off my front hitch and the difference in dip during dips and hard brake nose dive is negligible(HEARTILY tested), there was no static height differences.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you weight the rig to determine if the front axle has the weight capacity for what you are doing?
Old 06-26-2022, 11:44 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Well, it's a 2016 Outlaw 29J, and I usually surf this site on a laptop, there beside my name on any of my posts it has our RV info. However, I did notice if I browse on my smart phone, that info isn't there and I just figured y'all could see it without a mention.

My port-a-power jack set isn't much bigger than a small jack like mentioned. But I also have the breaker bar length 3/4" drive ratchet, extension and socket in that box. I also carry a prybar to remove the hubcaps and a rubber mallet to re-install them. plus a small socket set in 1/2" drive too. It get's to be where should I carry these item, they weigh, and are somewhat bulky. Then me being the do it yourself mechanic, I cannot leave home without them. LOL on me, I bring a pair of overalls for when the deed arises, and it did once!

We also bring along a leg fold up wooden table some 7 foot long and a small gas grill. (it's a toy hauler after all). We enjoy cooking out and keeping the mess outside when we can.
Now propane bottles are against the law to carry inside the cabin. If one was to develop a leak, I would not want it in there with me, even though we are both non-smokers. I have a bumper hitch rack for the rear, even a small trailer I usually carry the bottle(s) on. But now we want to tow a car. The added bracket up front for the propane just made things easier. Would the scenario of a collision be more probable with it at the rear bumper, or the front?
From my experience, I don't think it would be any kind of bomb, I have shot propane bottles with incendiary rounds and mostly just got a flying bottle (like a co2 cartridge), albeit with some fire, but nothing like Tannerite!

Looking at the LEL and the UEL of propane, it's explosive property is a bit more safe than say, Gasoline, or Kerosene. I am not worried. The window for its combustibility is narrow to even burn, then it need an ignition source. It being unlike black powder, where black powder will explode with a collision type force upon it.

And, no I have not had the front axle weighed. I did notice its stance from the added weight.
I was just picking at y'allz brains to see if anyone knew if the part(s) were a direct fit or not. Maybe I shouldn't have asked, I did not think I'd get scrutinized over it. I will be careful next time, maybe ask on the Ford Forums and not mention RV.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Well, it's a 2016 Outlaw 29J, and I usually surf this site on a laptop, there beside my name on any of my posts it has our RV info. However, I did notice if I browse on my smart phone, that info isn't there and I just figured y'all could see it without a mention.

My port-a-power jack set isn't much bigger than a small jack like mentioned. But I also have the breaker bar length 3/4" drive ratchet, extension and socket in that box. I also carry a prybar to remove the hubcaps and a rubber mallet to re-install them. plus a small socket set in 1/2" drive too. It get's to be where should I carry these item, they weigh, and are somewhat bulky. Then me being the do it yourself mechanic, I cannot leave home without them. LOL on me, I bring a pair of overalls for when the deed arises, and it did once!

We also bring along a leg fold up wooden table some 7 foot long and a small gas grill. (it's a toy hauler after all). We enjoy cooking out and keeping the mess outside when we can.
Now propane bottles are against the law to carry inside the cabin. If one was to develop a leak, I would not want it in there with me, even though we are both non-smokers. I have a bumper hitch rack for the rear, even a small trailer I usually carry the bottle(s) on. But now we want to tow a car. The added bracket up front for the propane just made things easier. Would the scenario of a collision be more probable with it at the rear bumper, or the front?
From my experience, I don't think it would be any kind of bomb, I have shot propane bottles with incendiary rounds and mostly just got a flying bottle (like a co2 cartridge), albeit with some fire, but nothing like Tannerite!

Looking at the LEL and the UEL of propane, it's explosive property is a bit more safe than say, Gasoline, or Kerosene. I am not worried. The window for its combustibility is narrow to even burn, then it need an ignition source. It being unlike black powder, where black powder will explode with a collision type force upon it.

And, no I have not had the front axle weighed. I did notice its stance from the added weight.
I was just picking at y'allz brains to see if anyone knew if the part(s) were a direct fit or not. Maybe I shouldn't have asked, I did not think I'd get scrutinized over it. I will be careful next time, maybe ask on the Ford Forums and not mention RV.
You info is only seen on a computer. On mobile devices it is not.

The question about weight is a valid question and nobody was scrutinizing you.

Have a good day
Old 06-27-2022, 12:33 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #22705
I put Moog CC880S progressive springs on my 29J. They raised the front about 5/8" and we're a massive improvement in ride over the linear spring that came on it.
If Moog has a progressive E-550 spring I would give it a shot.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:26 AM   #7

THOR #13932
...neither the tank or its support is(can never be) located in front of the front axle.

I was hoping to spark(ha!) an idea of maybe the op looking up to see if I was right or wrong.
No guessing, no physics, Just tank mounting facts.
It's federal.
It's why you Don't see it on the road.

Newbs:
Don't consider this.

Maybe rules have changed, maybe I'm reading them wrong, maybe the first highway patrol to see this impounds your vehicle.

ANSI A119.2/NFPA 1192 STANDARD ON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES

2-2.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be in accordance with the following:

(a) LP-Gas containers shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers, even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle. Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.

Exception: New LP-Gas cylinders that have never contained LP-Gas supplied as original equipment, shall be permitted to be transported inside the vehicle.

(b) LP-Gas containers with their control valves shall be installed in compliance with one of the following:
(1) In a recess or compartment other than the roof that is vaportight to the inside of the recreational vehicle.
(3) Tanks mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a motor home or chassis-mount camper,provided neither the tank or its support is located in front of the front axle. Tanks mounted between the front and rear axle shall be installed with as much road clearance as practical but not lower than the front axle height. Tanks mounted behind the rear axle of a motor home or chassis-mount camper shall be installed in such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than either the rear axle (excluding the differential) or any section of the frame immediately to the rear of the tank, whichever is higher. All clearances shall be determined from the bottom of the tank or from the lowest fitting, support, or attachment on the tank or tank housing, which ever is lower when all axles are loaded to their gross axles weight rating.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:14 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When did it become illegal to carry propane bottles inside a vehicle? How would you get one home from a Blue Rhino place?
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #9

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
When did it become illegal to carry propane bottles inside a vehicle?
Probably within a month of cars being invented,
Have you seen the youtube videos of folks pumping gas into walmart bags?

There's some really inconsiderate deadly folks out there.