Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FW Hurricane 30Q
State: Florida
THOR #1044
Electric Fan Conversion F-53 Chassis

Has anyone converted to an electric fan? Anyone interested? Should save fuel and wear on the engine. Not sure if the shroud if the same on the 350 and 450 Class C's.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
How does the efficiency compare between an engine driven fan vs. an electrical fan?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

THOR #1044
I hope I can explain this. Engine driven pulls about 4,000 CFM through the radiator at speed (about 3,000 RPM). This is important at low vehicle speeds. But if you are going 60 MPH it really doesn't do much of anything but spin so they put a fan clutch on. It still spins but not as fast and really at 60 do you need a fan? And it takes power to run this fan plus it puts stress on the water pump its bolted on.

Electric fans have been on most cars for years and the newer ones are variable to lesson engine load even more and really the only time you need a fan are speeds less than 35ish.

I don't have exact numbers but some data from the truck side suggests and it should be accurate about a .3 increase in MPG and about 2 in HP.

I am working with AFCO | Racing Parts | Performance Parts | AfcoDynaPro.com to have them make me one. I just need to get my hands on a shroud to send them.

I did Law Enforcement for about 10 years the best thing to ever happen was an electric fan on the car. I also went by the Ford garage and talked to them and the mechanic was "why wouldn't you want a electric fan". The bigger chassis are exempt from fuel standards so there is no reason for Ford to put electric fans on them but if you look at the big rigs and most construction equipment it all has electric fans.

Also if you still have a heat issue say you do a lot of mountain driving, you can add a pusher fan to help a bit.

I hope that helps. Even a 1/10 increase on MPG and a modest 1.5 increase in HP and torque would be huge when your sucking a gallon every 9 miles.

I asked AFCO for a WAG for a turn key kit. My radiator is a down flow about 35 X 32 if I remember right two bolts and two tabs for the shroud and about 8 for the fan and clutch.

I have searched for a kit and just haven't found one and I hate the noise when the fan clutch locks and spins that big fan.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
0.3mpg is pretty significant when you are looking at 10mpg.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #1044
I am looking to get a shroud to send off so they can do a template. Thought about this today. The mechanical fan is 20" and the conversion would be 2 16" electrics. I might supplement mine with a pusher on the AC Condenser give it a little help in the heat as there is several inches between it and the radiator.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If I did my math right, a 20" fan shroud would have 314sq in of surface area and each 16" fan would have 200 sq in.

While that does not dictate the CFM the fans are capable of, it at least lets you know that 2 16" shrouds can pass more air than a single 20" shroud.

Since two 14" shrouds will pass less air then a single 20" shroud, if you stay at 16" or greater - assuming the motor/fan unit produces sufficient CFM, you should be OK, I would think.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

THOR #1044
I am thinking the stock fan is 2000 CFM, that sticks in my head anyway. I posted the link to the Hayden fans but there are others out there that pull far more air. With 2 16" fans it should be around 3600 CFM and can be varied with the newer controllers.

Then putting on a supplemental for the AC should be fine. I just can't see wasting all the energy on a mechanical fan that is useless at 60MPH

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/Hay...hure_Flyer.pdf
Old 09-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I noticed that those fans pull 17A each. So at 35+ Amps when running, are their any issues with reduced fuel mileage at low speeds due to the load on the alternator vs. load on the engine-mounted fan?

And if so, is that reduced economy more than made up by the fans not operating at higher speeds?

I'd love to hear your results. Keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #9

THOR #1044
this math I know that's 420 watts and about 1/2 a horse. that mechanical fan has to take 3 or 4. Next couple months I should have this done. Was hoping someone had tried it already.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
That is what I came up with from a simple DC Power perspective, but I degraded it by 50% due to inefficiencies you will encounter, both in the fan and the alternator. But even with a 1 hp give back, it might be worthwhile.

And I suppose a lot depends on your average driving speed; i.e. 55~60mph vs 25~40mph, etc.

Interesting discussion.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

THOR #1044
The internet is a wonderful thing... People are as divided on the electric/mechanical issue as they are on everything else. I found one article that looked reliable that someone dyno'd a dodge with both types and there was a increase of 4HP. So let's assume that includes the increase alternator load. One thing that was pointed out was better temp control and that I know first hand.

Well, I will know soon enough as I ordered a shroud today. My 2011 escape has electric fans, electric steering...newer cars have added electric water pumps.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #12

THOR #1044
Update on this. I contacted the company that did the F450 Diesel electric fan kit. They advised under heave load their 6000 CFM kit would not keep the engine cool. however a add on pusher for lower speeds helps with the A/C and oil coolers. So I might do that. I checked the 2015 F53s and they are still mechanical fans from Ford. Oh well. I did get the tuner and I have my tablet reading my ECM data both helps tremendously on the 3V motor. I can get 9.2 to 9.8 60 to 63 mph.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #13

THOR #1044
So further research. While an electric fan would save fuel, it would not provide enough air around the engine to cool the exhaust unless you made some type of ducting. The Cat runs at 1400 degrees cruising. So much for this idea.