Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2021, 04:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Electric Outlets

During upgrade of our standard 110V outlets I found that what was installed from factory seems a bit flimsy at best, I’m sure they are to code but talk about cost savings, I would think electrical isn’t the place to be cheap, real disappointed, long story short I’m replacing all…Attachment 31250

Old 06-10-2021, 04:20 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Repacing the stock electrical boxes is not a piece of cake.
Standard household boxes are too big, requiring you to make a difficult cutout in your cardboard wall, and they're too deep requiring you to cut the backs off of your replavement box(or use box extensions and negate the box).
It sucks.
Reconsider.

Signed,
Been there, done that to four or five of them in my 24.1...and hated it. 130 or so mods in my 24.1 and this is the one I hated the most.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:28 AM   #3

THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Repacing the stock electrical boxes is not a piece of cake.
Standard household boxes are too big, requiring you to make a difficult cutout in your cardboard wall, and they're too deep requiring you to cut the backs off of your replavement box(or use box extensions and negate the box).
It sucks.
Reconsider.

Signed,
Been there, done that to four or five of them in my 24.1...and hated it. 130 or so mods in my 24.1 and this is the one I hated the most.

2 replaced had to add backers to attach new outlets. Pain in the ass but necessary to sleep at night Attachment 31251
Old 06-10-2021, 04:35 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My changes were to add USB ported outlets and to add outlets/usb above our heads on the twin beds.

Check post 144 in my signature thread. It's my favorite mod...and it's an electric outlet.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=144

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:49 AM   #5

THOR #5332
This is what I built between our beds. Cup holders, 110V outlets and USB ports. The unit is removable.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It is a cimmon RV electrical outlet used across the RV industry. I purchased a duplex outlet to replace a single outlet.

There is nothing bad about this type of outlet if it is used and installed properly. Many of today electrical outlets use a similar connection method where you strip a 1/2" of insulation and then push the wire into a hole where sprng steel grabs onto and locks it in place versus a screw.

I did have to use a C-Clamp to install the back plate so it was fully seated and locked in place. The back plate pushes the wires into the spring steel so they cut the insulation and lock the wire in place.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Thanks for the info. I was going to start replacing the two outlets at the foot of our bed with USB outlets.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It is a cimmon RV electrical outlet used across the RV industry. I purchased a duplex outlet to replace a single outlet.

There is nothing bad about this type of outlet if it is used and installed properly. Many of today electrical outlets use a similar connection method where you strip a 1/2" of insulation and then push the wire into a hole where sprng steel grabs onto and locks it in place versus a screw.

I did have to use a C-Clamp to install the back plate so it was fully seated and locked in place. The back plate pushes the wires into the spring steel so they cut the insulation and lock the wire in place.
I don't recall the first time I ran into them but it was around 40 years or so ago. Changing them is a pain and I only did as others to install a different configuration