Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2020, 02:32 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #18734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have read a few stories about generators not running properly and causing voltage drops and surges.

I’d rather replace a $175 transfer switch than a $1000+ residential fridge or A//C if the generator does malfunction and on the off chance takes a compressor out.
My thoughts too. Power is power, it can all flux. I'm putting mine in line after the transfer switch to protect from both shore and gen power surges.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #42
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I have used both and installed a thirty amp unit into a class C and a 50 amp in a fifth wheel. I still have my external one, but check the power on the post using a volt meter. I also have a non contact voltage tester to make sure that the post is not hot or have a floating ground.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #43

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I have used both and installed a thirty amp unit into a class C and a 50 amp in a fifth wheel. I still have my external one, but check the power on the post using a volt meter. I also have a non contact voltage tester to make sure that the post is not hot or have a floating ground.
The only thing the Non contact tester will tell you is there is some sort of voltage present. It can tell you nothing about the ground or neutral or which wire the voltage is on. Be safe.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #44
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The only thing the Non contact tester will tell you is there is some sort of voltage present. It can tell you nothing about the ground or neutral or which wire the voltage is on. Be safe.

If your rig is hot, it will tell you so. It should be grounded. If the post is hot, it will tell you so. It should be grounded. Then a meter can tell you the exact voltage. Why should a grounded post or RV be hot. Well a missing ground to the main power pole. It has killed people thinking that their rig was grounded. Just an open ground in a park section can do this. A kid died two years ago do to a faulty ground in a park section's power wiring. What you do not know can kill you. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

I have a very sensitive non contact tester. I have used it to follow the wiring in the walls to know their exact routing. It is a quick and useful tool. Not and end all be all tool.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #45

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have an external unit. After seeing a photo of one installed in the coach that took a hit and burnt up part of the coach... I agree, the further away the better. I also camp in some small county parks and like being able to test the pedestal before hooking up. Whatever kind you choose, I too think they should be mandatory.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #46
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I have an external unit. After seeing a photo of one installed in the coach that took a hit and burnt up part of the coach... I agree, the further away the better. I also camp in some small county parks and like being able to test the pedestal before hooking up. Whatever kind you choose, I too think they should be mandatory.

I have a friend that had, they think, converter failed and burned his coach and house down. The insurance agent came to his one wall remaining house and ask where the rig was. He showed him molten metal a few wires, molten rims, and a lot of carbon black. He and his wife were lucky that they were up early going on their honeymoon to Africa. They did not have time to get their pack suitcases sitting by the front door. Flames were shooting through before he could turn around and grab them as he stepped out. He had his new rig two weeks. Went out with it for a weekend. It can happen to any electronic device. Famous are main power connectors and transfer switches along with power reels and breaker boxes. You got to open them up and make sure the connections are tight and do not loosen up. A lighting strike destroying a EMI protection device is not unheard of. Our power plugs in out home will do the same thing!