Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
Ems

I have my list of basic items I need to get for a new RV but the one I am not sure of is the EMS. I am pretty handy and I am looking at the EMSHW30C which is the installed version. I am somewhat worried about theft of the portable version (I know fellow RVers are great but the portable versions have a security ring to lock them down so, theft can happen) and also because I am worried we may forget it. Either forget to install it or worse, forget it at pedestal when we leave.

Does anyone have any input on the installed models? The installation looks super simple so I am more concerned with the operation.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
I have my list of basic items I need to get for a new RV but the one I am not sure of is the EMS. I am pretty handy and I am looking at the EMSHW30C which is the installed version. I am somewhat worried about theft of the portable version (I know fellow RVers are great but the portable versions have a security ring to lock them down so, theft can happen) and also because I am worried we may forget it. Either forget to install it or worse, forget it at pedestal when we leave.

Does anyone have any input on the installed models? The installation looks super simple so I am more concerned with the operation.

Thanks again.

Super simple and offers good protection. Many folks go without and are fine but surges happen and it’s cheap protection. I use a portable with a chain and lock but if I had it to do over I’d get an installed model
Old 05-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #3

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post

Thanks again.

I have a portable because I was not sure I could install a permanent one. Still not sure I could install a permanent one haha.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have the portable kind because I didn't want to buy it more than once. As for leaving it behind, I have to unplug the coach, so I just do it at the EMS. I also lock it to the post with a short chain and master lock.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I have an installed, hardwired model. Works great! But I ordered my right with it from the factory.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
I went with the hard wired version from Progressive Industries. My unit is a 50-Amp service (two air conditioners), so I used the EMS-HW 50C.

Mine has a display (mounted inside) , so I can see how many Amps I'm drawing without leaving the rig. This is very helpful if I can only get a 30-Amp pedestal...helps me manage the load properly.

Progressive Industries also has a great service. On just my 3rd trip ever, power kept cutting in & out all night at a Daytona Beach campground. I called technical support because I thought my new unit was faulty. They helped me track down that there was an electrical problem with the pedestal,which the campground admitted later that day (and fixed).

Luckily, all my electrical devices were protected.

Money well spent in my case & I don't have to worry about leaving it behind when I break camp.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I also installed the EMSHW50C version in my coach. Installation was very easy and it works great.

There is one benefit of the installed version vs the portable version. The installed version can be installed to protect the coach from surges and power issues from both shore power and the generator. I wired it this way in case a problem ever develops with the generator so the coach is still protected.

One other smaller benefit is that the display panel is inside the coach so it allows you to more easily keep an eye on current draw, error messages, etc.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Secruing them to the pedestal is as easy as putting a lock & chain on them.
As far as forgetting them: that's what a "Campsite Clean-Up" list is for...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1590493265
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Security.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	23918  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
I prefer the portable because you can get out and check the PED before backing into the spot. Makes finding a good ped easier. in 4 years no one has ever said they had one stolen. Some have drove off and left them. Why one would ever not unplug the EMS first and walk it back to the Rv, then stand at the RV and roll up the cord I will never understand.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Had a portable since '05 used on 3 different 5th wheels, last 10+ years it was plugged in everyday while fulltimers, I didn't lock it up, it never walked away & was never left behind.
Whether hardwired or portable, it should be mandatory equipment on ALL RVs, it saved our bacon on more than one occasion.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My rig also has one hard-wired in from the Factory...

...But I'd rather have it out at the pedestal, and never let the trouble get any closer than that!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I also installed the EMSHW50C version in my coach. Installation was very easy and it works great.

There is one benefit of the installed version vs the portable version. The installed version can be installed to protect the coach from surges and power issues from both shore power and the generator. I wired it this way in case a problem ever develops with the generator so the coach is still protected.

One other smaller benefit is that the display panel is inside the coach so it allows you to more easily keep an eye on current draw, error messages, etc.

I like that idea of installing it on other side of both shore and generator.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #13

State: Kansas
THOR #18734
Just got my hard wired Progressive unit yesterday. Hope to install this upcoming weekend. Installed one on a prior travel trailer was pretty simple. It has saved our bacon a few times as well over the years.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #14

State: Kansas
THOR #18734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

How did you figure out where to wire it in for both shore and gen? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I use a portable unit and have a lock/cable that I attach to the pedestal. I have had it for more than 3 years and never forgot it at a campsite. I like the idea of stopping the problem before it gets to my motor home. I can also check the pedestal before setting up if there is a problem at the campsite.

Paul
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The toughest part about locking it to the pedestal is that it adds to the already daunting number of keys you have to keep track of...
(I've also got hitch and trailer tongue locks as well...)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #17

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
An EMS is like TP & beer.....Don't leave home without it...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
the portable unit lets you check the pedestal before backing into the sopt. in 5 years i have never heard first hand knowledge of one being stolen. If you unplug it, take it back to the RV then start rolling up the cord from the RV you cannot forget it.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
An EMS is like TP & beer.....Don't leave home without it...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1590689930
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23947  
Old 05-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #20

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
progressive industries is the only way to go based on my research several years ago. I installed a hardwired one.
My only regret was that I installed it without the remote display in a place where it's hard to get at. (under the bed and the slide has to be out to lift it)
anyway, it's not a huge issue....and I'm glad to have the device