Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
Spare Tire Mount - another way

After reading several awesome posts about mounting a spare tire under the coach I set out to attempt it. While I was blocking the tire up so I could measure for some sort of cross bracket to go between the frame rails I noticed the back of the receiver hitch is open and just the right height. I had some spare 2" square stock left over from another project that was just the right length~20" long. With the tire under the coach (wheel offset down) I inserted the tube into the receiver ~3", the other end was now completely supporting the wheel. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the square tube and bolted the wheel to the square tube with a locking nut. For the other end i drilled a hole through the receiver and the square tube and bolted them together. I think it came out awesome, the tire is very secure and it was super simple.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
After reading several awesome posts about mounting a spare tire under the coach I set out to attempt it. While I was blocking the tire up so I could measure for some sort of cross bracket to go between the frame rails I noticed the back of the receiver hitch is open and just the right height. I had some spare 2" square stock left over from another project that was just the right length~20" long. With the tire under the coach (wheel offset down) I inserted the tube into the receiver ~3", the other end was now completely supporting the wheel. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the square tube and bolted the wheel to the square tube with a locking nut. For the other end i drilled a hole through the receiver and the square tube and bolted them together. I think it came out awesome, the tire is very secure and it was super simple.
So if I understand correctly, its cantelevered from the back side of the trailer hitch with your square stock but the other end of square stock is free - is this rigid enough to endure?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
So if I understand correctly, its cantelevered from the back side of the trailer hitch with your square stock but the other end of square stock is free - is this rigid enough to endure?

I think it is more then rugged enough. The tire weighs ~80lbs and the center of gravity is located ~13-14" from the edge of the receiver. Curt sells a 24x60 Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches that is rated for 500lbs and the Overall distance from center of hitch pin hole to outside edge of carrier is 44-1/4" and it uses the same (actually thinner walled) square tube. I think it will hold up just fine.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

THOR #6877
Quote:
I think it is more then rugged enough. The tire weighs ~80lbs and the center of gravity is located ~13-14" from the edge of the receiver. Curt sells a 24x60 Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches that is rated for 500lbs and the Overall distance from center of hitch pin hole to outside edge of carrier is 44-1/4" and it uses the same (actually thinner walled) square tube. I think it will hold up just fine.
Good answer thanks!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

THOR #3986
I finally had a chance to take a few pictures of my spare tire mount. One is a side view with the trailer hitch to the left and the other is a view looking up at the underside of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire side view.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	5079   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire looking up.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	5080  

Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

THOR #6877
Quote:
I finally had a chance to take a few pictures of my spare tire mount. One is a side view with the trailer hitch to the left and the other is a view looking up at the underside of the coach.
Smart!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Nice use of receiver.

Yeah, your tube should be plenty strong. If anything, I'd worry about the 3/8" bolt holding the wheel down on tube.

By the way, are you still able to use receiver hitch or does tube go too far in to insert a hitch from other end?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

THOR #3986
Yes, the receiver still works fine. I did the entire install with the ball hitch in place. So far I've driven about 400 miles both towing a trailer and just the RV and haven't noticed any movement at all. I did consider a larger bolt but the tensile strength of a grade 2 3/8" 16 bolt is ~5700 lb so I thought there was plenty of margin.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yes, the receiver still works fine. I did the entire install with the ball hitch in place. So far I've driven about 400 miles both towing a trailer and just the RV and haven't noticed any movement at all. I did consider a larger bolt but the tensile strength of a grade 2 3/8" 16 bolt is ~5700 lb so I thought there was plenty of margin.
It's great that you were able to keep full use of your hitch receiver. I'm also curious how you found it easier to mount assembly. Do you first bolt tube to wheel and then lift tube into receiver? Some other way? Inquiring minds want to know.

My comment about the bolt was more about it providing adequate stability to keep tire/wheel from rocking side-to-side. If you notice on most tire carriers they often use two or more bolts spaced out with wheel resting against a large flat surface that makes it easy to limit motion. In your case the wheel is bolted to a surface less than 2-inches wide, so bolt doesn't have as much leverage to restrict rocking without much higher stresses. Unfortunately in a case like this it's nearly impossible to estimate dynamic loads so they lead to some concern.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It's great that you were able to keep full use of your hitch receiver. I'm also curious how you found it easier to mount assembly. Do you first bolt tube to wheel and then lift tube into receiver? Some other way? Inquiring minds want to know.

My comment about the bolt was more about it providing adequate stability to keep tire/wheel from rocking side-to-side. If you notice on most tire carriers they often use two or more bolts spaced out with wheel resting against a large flat surface that makes it easy to limit motion. In your case the wheel is bolted to a surface less than 2-inches wide, so bolt doesn't have as much leverage to restrict rocking without much higher stresses. Unfortunately in a case like this it's nearly impossible to estimate dynamic loads so they lead to some concern.
I installed the square tube by resting the rear edge of the tire on the receiver hitch and lifting the front of the tire as I inserted the square tube. then I let the tire rest on the tube as I aligned the bolt hole.

The tire rests pretty close to the bottom of the coach ~1/2"-3/4" so the maximum excursion from horizontal is only a couple of degrees. Even given the max acceleration due to the over hang of the coach from the rear axle is still well within the bolts capability.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I did a bit of hybrid using the 2x6 and 2 inch tube. After 15 miles, no shifting. Awesome.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #12

THOR #3986
Thumbs up Spare tire mount update

After ~5000 miles of New England (rough) driving I am happy to say that my tire mount hasn't moved and is totally secure.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #13

THOR #6446
Quote:
After ~5000 miles of New England (rough) driving I am happy to say that my tire mount hasn't moved and is totally secure.
Same. 3000mi. I did pretty much same thing but added a bolt through the tube and distal lug hole for insurance. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
ever wonder why a receiver has metal welded around it on front side? and not the back
Old 12-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Wonder? No.

Seems obvious, unless it's a trick question.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #16

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
So the tube doesn't peal open at the weld.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The square tube is welded together down it's length. The ring reinforces the tube against the repeated tongue weight loading from stressing the weld and stretching the opening. +/- 2cents
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Can I ask where you got the tubing at?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #19

THOR #6446
This was my source for the metal tube 2' long x 2" square https://www.metals4uonline.com/
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #20

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
you can do what you want . any slight front end mishap you can be sure that tire will go through your gas tank first. if that little bolt breaks i pity the person behind you.

Tags
25.1, mods, spare tire