Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I just looked today, That will work on the full size windows but my kitchen window is just half size (Hinges in the middle). Perhaps if I take the screen out I can see a screw from the inside otherwise this mod wont work for those windows.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Take a look at the picture I placed here a few posts earlier. If you crank open the skinny window, and the two bars that extend the window are right next to each other, there is no spacer to cut. When you crank open the window, the bars extend and get closer together so there is no gap between them that can be reduced.

I only found one window (in the bedroom) of my Windsport that was too thin to modify. All the others (two different sizes) were modified and I can open them much further than originally.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The set screw on the twin window at the sink is missing on mine.The window does occasionally move rearward and I've slid it back. In fact I had to remove it from outside once to gain entrance have left the keys inside. Easy-peasy-ish. But it never dawned on me to cut that spacer. Consider it done!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Thank you all for the thread. I’ve been aggravated over the 3” max opening on our since we bought it. Getting any decent cross breeze was pretty slim. Not now though. I’m having my windows tinted this week so I’ll do this first to make it easier. Less chance of a screw up on my part too!
Old 08-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn1 View Post
Thank you all for the thread. I’ve been aggravated over the 3” max opening on our since we bought it. Getting any decent cross breeze was pretty slim. Not now though. I’m having my windows tinted this week so I’ll do this first to make it easier. Less chance of a screw up on my part too!
Yeah having tinted windows helps a lot with comfort.

Will it be "Ceramic tint"? That's the best (but pricy).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #26

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
The set screw on the twin window at the sink is missing on mine.The window does occasionally move rearward and I've slid it back. In fact I had to remove it from outside once to gain entrance have left the keys inside. Easy-peasy-ish. But it never dawned on me to cut that spacer. Consider it done!
Gnach, Thank you for posting about gaining entrance into the rv, I never thought of doing that! Probably not good for everyone to know but hey it is what it is.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:59 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Gotta say that this was one of the easiest “mods” I’ve done. Very thankful that you posted the video. I wasn’t totally “picking up what you were laying down” previously. I was gonna pass on this one until I watched how easy you did it.

25 minutes later, I’ve done the entire Driver’s side of the coach (6 windows). The spacers in my pic are what I took _OUT_ . I only left about 2” of plastic in each channel and I’m really happy with the results.

Unfortunately, the two windows that I wanted to open up the most are my dinette windows-which can’t be done.

The big picture window over the couch has a full permanent window over the two tilt-out ones. I ran out of daylight, but I suspect I’ll have to slide the big guy out first-far enough to expose the lower window set screw. That should let me do one side, then repeat in the other.

Thanks again for sharing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	809C5BD7-7ABC-4E71-8678-6868DBC92516.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	19464  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #28

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
Gotta say that this was one of the easiest “mods” I’ve done. Very thankful that you posted the video. I wasn’t totally “picking up what you were laying down” previously. I was gonna pass on this one until I watched how easy you did it.

25 minutes later, I’ve done the entire Driver’s side of the coach (6 windows). The spacers in my pic are what I took _OUT_ . I only left about 2” of plastic in each channel and I’m really happy with the results.

Unfortunately, the two windows that I wanted to open up the most are my dinette windows-which can’t be done.

The big picture window over the couch has a full permanent window over the two tilt-out ones. I ran out of daylight, but I suspect I’ll have to slide the big guy out first-far enough to expose the lower window set screw. That should let me do one side, then repeat in the other.

Thanks again for sharing!
Thats awesome Cwray! Glad it helped you out. Since you only left 2" in how far do your windows crank out now, this could help a lot of people doing it to know how much they want to cut off spacer. Thanks for posting. It is a really easy mod and I am surprised this was not brought up before, it just aggravated me they opened so little and the reason I finally looked for a way to fix it.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #29

THOR #12548
Reducing the spacer down to 2-3”, that gets my windows to swing outward about 6.5”. That’s just over double what I had before of 3”.

It’s hard to get a sense of perspective in my photos, but I tried to take a pic of both the dinette window (which can’t be adjusted) and the kitchen window that was adjusted for a sense of difference.

Still wondering why it wasn’t done like this out of the factory. Maybe because the smaller opening lends itself better to not letting rain in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD22515-E908-408D-BFC2-9A5F72F4B69F.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	19473   Click image for larger version

Name:	7446A03E-4F21-4ED1-8197-ED11DB179A51.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	19474  

Old 08-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #30

THOR #12231
Yeah I figured they only wanted 3 inches to prevent rain coming into the RV. But the way I see it is.... after the mod if you need max air flow you can open 6 inches and then if its raining (or you think it will rain when you go to bed) then back it down to 2 or 3 inches. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #31

THOR #12548
Sorry about the pics being upside down. Can’t figure out how to fix that.

Also, for the big picture window over the couch that has two smaller windows under it that open up—I can’t figure out how to gain access like the others to make this same mod. Even if one were to completely remove the entire window frame (which I am not willing to do) the big one still overlaps the set screws of the smaller ones.

I’f someone, smarter/braver than I, can figure that one out—I’ll jump on that one too. :-)

Btw, DH & kids were very happy to see the enlarged openings. There’s a better cross-breeze for sure. But it would be better still, if I could get that other window done.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I figured they only wanted 3 inches to prevent rain coming into the RV. But the way I see it is.... after the mod if you need max air flow you can open 6 inches and then if its raining (or you think it will rain when you go to bed) then back it down to 2 or 3 inches. Best of both worlds.
I agree. Nobody ever said that we had to treat the window opening as if it was a light switch...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sadly our windows have a rivet at the top instead of a screw.

Suppose I could drill them out and replace with a screw...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #34

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sadly our windows have a rivet at the top instead of a screw.

Suppose I could drill them out and replace with a screw...
60 seconds from freedom brother! lol
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #35

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
Sorry about the pics being upside down. Can’t figure out how to fix that.

Also, for the big picture window over the couch that has two smaller windows under it that open up—I can’t figure out how to gain access like the others to make this same mod. Even if one were to completely remove the entire window frame (which I am not willing to do) the big one still overlaps the set screws of the smaller ones.

I’f someone, smarter/braver than I, can figure that one out—I’ll jump on that one too. :-)

Btw, DH & kids were very happy to see the enlarged openings. There’s a better cross-breeze for sure. But it would be better still, if I could get that other window done.
I dont have but 1 very small window like that and I dont see how it could be done on that one, but can you take some asst pics of the inside of the window opened and closed? You could still drill the rivets out and do it that way, takes a minute to drill them out then put a screw back in or re rivet them
Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #36

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
60 seconds from freedom brother! lol
Ha! Love it.

BTW. Cutting the space to 4"-4.5" seems to be the sweet spot. At 3" the arms moved beyond their max arc so the was no increased travel. GREAT MOD!! KUDOS!!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:26 AM   #37

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I just did that mod on my 2018 Thor Siesta. Very easy and works great. Much more air flow inside the coach.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #38

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Missouri
THOR #5861
Cwray, What a great mod! I saw these posts, watched your video, went right out, cut the spacer to 3" and now two windows open 6"!!!! All in under 3 minutes and that counts looking under the RV for the screw I dropped!

Great mod that doesn't cost anything which makes DW really happy! Thanks again
Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 AM   #39

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Missouri
THOR #5861
thor293,

I need to do a better job of responding to the correct person, sorry!

This has been the simplest mod ever, Thanks!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #40

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerling2219 View Post
thor293,

I need to do a better job of responding to the correct person, sorry!

This has been the simplest mod ever, Thanks!
LOL, not a problem, just tickled that it has made so many happy! Such and easy free mod also