Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2022, 01:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
ExpertPower 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger?

I've searched and do not see a discussion here of the ExpertPower 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger. The price is certainly nice. The charger has profiles for many battery types, but I only care about LiFePO4.

Is anyone out there using one of these? I'm planning my components for converting my RV from LA to LiFePo4 and saw this one. I think I like the specs on the Inverter. I'm a bit fuzzy on whether the Charger voltages are a good design or not.

In the user manual I see that for LiFePO4 the charger will use "constant current charging (constant current stage) -> constant voltage (constant voltage stage) -> float (constant current stage)". Boost is targeting 14.4v, and Float is at 13.8v. Does this sound right?

Has anyone here used one?

Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Any reason you choose 3000w? That is really large.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Any reason you choose 3000w? That is really large.
And a really small charger for a big bank of LiFePo4 batteries. The Xantrex Freedom XC Pro offers a 150 amp charger with their 3,000 watt charger/inverter and a 100 amp charger for their 2,000 watt charger/inverter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
I'll make sure to look at that Xantrex unit. Thanks.

Inverter:
Why 3000w? I have an 1800W now, but it's not enough to run the microwave and anything else at the same time. I figure it'd better to have more capability than I need than less.

Charger:
More AMPs on the charge when on shore power would be nice. 50Amps would take 3x longer than a 150 to get the job done. I plan to start out on 280Ah and will need to stay under C/2. I'll bump up to 560 maybe this fall or next year. Even on a 560Ah battery the max discharge possible is about 500 Ah before BMS cutoff so 50 Amps would still be able to easily complete full re-charge on an overnight stop on shore power, leven if ony connected to a 15 amp line (50 amps @ 14v is about a 6 amp draw on 120AC). If I ever bump up to 1000Ah (unlikely), then probably I'll want more. Am I calculating this correctly? If I'm recharging by running my generator, a 150 amp charger would be a way better choice.

Is there anyone out there actually using an ExpertPower device?
Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Microwave, understand. I had to ask because so many people on another RV forum want to install 3000W inverter, when I ask what they will be running, they say tv, laptop and phone charging. LOL.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:45 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeters View Post
I'll make sure to look at that Xantrex unit. Thanks.

Inverter:
Why 3000w? I have an 1800W now, but it's not enough to run the microwave and anything else at the same time. I figure it'd better to have more capability than I need than less.

Charger:
More AMPs on the charge when on shore power would be nice. 50Amps would take 3x longer than a 150 to get the job done. I plan to start out on 280Ah and will need to stay under C/2. I'll bump up to 560 maybe this fall or next year. Even on a 560Ah battery the max discharge possible is about 500 Ah before BMS cutoff so 50 Amps would still be able to easily complete full re-charge on an overnight stop on shore power, leven if ony connected to a 15 amp line (50 amps @ 14v is about a 6 amp draw on 120AC). If I ever bump up to 1000Ah (unlikely), then probably I'll want more. Am I calculating this correctly? If I'm recharging by running my generator, a 150 amp charger would be a way better choice.

Is there anyone out there actually using an ExpertPower device?
Not exactly. While 50 Amps at 14 Volts and 6 Amps at 120 Volts both represent ~ 700 Watts, it does not take into account converter inefficiency which can be significant. Therefore, required 120 VAC electrical power will be much higher than 14 VDC electrical power supplied to batteries.

For example, in one document, Onan estimates a 100 Amp X 14 Volt converter may require up to 2,520 Watts from generator. That efficiency seems low to me for latest (modern) converters that are more efficient. I recommend you look at converter specifications and adjust accordingly.

I’ve often seen efficiency in 60 ~ 80 percent or so, but would want accurate data to work with, particularly at higher charging rates.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:36 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Not exactly. While 50 Amps at 14 Volts and 6 Amps at 120 Volts both represent ~ 700 Watts, it does not take into account converter inefficiency which can be significant. Therefore, required 120 VAC electrical power will be much higher than 14 VDC electrical power supplied to batteries.

For example, in one document, Onan estimates a 100 Amp X 14 Volt converter may require up to 2,520 Watts from generator. That efficiency seems low to me for latest (modern) converters that are more efficient. I recommend you look at converter specifications and adjust accordingly.

I’ve often seen efficiency in 60 ~ 80 percent or so, but would want accurate data to work with, particularly at higher charging rates.
True. Assuming a power factor of one and a converter efficiency of 85% (extremely efficient) a 50 amp output at 14.6 volts converter require 10.16 amps at 120 volts. Xantrex recommends a 30 amp CB for a 100 amp converter and a 50 amp CB for a 150 amp converter. Remember that like AGM VRLA batteries, Lifepo4 batteries have little resistance to current flow. Most of the lithium batteries' manufacturers recommend the max amperage equal 1C or one amp for every amp-h of battery bank capacity. Most battery management systems will limit the max current to this amount. At a 80% charge, the battery charging current will be limited to 0.2C for equalization of the cells.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Some lithium battery manufacturers limit charging rate more than others due to current limits of their BMS, which often show up as a very different charge rate when measured as a function of “C”.

Example may be the same size BMS used on a 100 Ah battery as used on a 200 Ah battery. Based on published data this seems more common on cheaper batteries because higher-current BMS add significant cost.

I previously mentioned higher electrical power usage because as battery-bank capacity is increased, the potential to charge faster can exceed generator and or 30-Amp shore power capacity. Some converters can charge so fast that if powered by 30A shore power or 4,000-Watt generator, there may not be enough excess to run an air conditioner or microwave at same time. Fortunately, charge rate can often be limited with different setting.

Below is Onan table which I think is likely dated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02C16447-668E-4D75-9B16-8C8B164DB3ED.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	36024  
Old 02-10-2024, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Expert Power

Just saw this inverter and even though this is an old thread, this inverter looks good. Excellent manual and certifications look good. It even comes with a precharge resistor.
Thinking this might be work for now at the off grid nest in the AZ desert.
I can later move it to the axis.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:49 PM   #10

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeters View Post
I've searched and do not see a discussion here of the ExpertPower 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger. The price is certainly nice. The charger has profiles for many battery types, but I only care about LiFePO4.

Is anyone out there using one of these? I'm planning my components for converting my RV from LA to LiFePo4 and saw this one. I think I like the specs on the Inverter. I'm a bit fuzzy on whether the Charger voltages are a good design or not.

In the user manual I see that for LiFePO4 the charger will use "constant current charging (constant current stage) -> constant voltage (constant voltage stage) -> float (constant current stage)". Boost is targeting 14.4v, and Float is at 13.8v. Does this sound right?

Has anyone here used one?
I like the Combimaster 12/3000 or Victron units. Both reliable name brands.

Whatever you choose, be sure it is well ventilated- they get quite warm.

My Tellaro has a Combimaster and is fused for 250A feed to the panel, and uses 2/0 gauge cables. Works great. I like having 3000W inverter power- just be sure you have the right wire size and fusing. Verify with ampacity charts and be sure to add up your watts or amps so you can have a safe system. Renogy also has I/C units and an online calculator.

I used a 2000W Sungold power unit in my Rialta, and worked well- probably similar to the one you are asking about, and probably made in the same place overseas. I had a 250A breaker in that and 2/0 gauge cables as well.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I installed a Sungoldpower 3000 last year as part of my lithium upgrade. It has worked flawlessly with no complaints. It is probably a little overkill - although I can easily run A/C off batteries, I rarely do because it sucks way too much battery power. I only have 300Ah of lithium, and that certainly won't run A/C that long... you can do the math. In hindsight, a 2000 watt inverter would fit the bill... AND it draws slightly less amps on idle - something often overlooked.

Here's the model I purchased:
https://sungoldpower.com/products/30...39652729979017