Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
Posts: 150
THOR #4282
Filling a LP tank from another bottle

So the RV is snowed in. This coming weekend its going to get down to -17 and I want to run the heat. I am running the heat now set at 50 but I'm afraid I will run out of gas by this weekend and it wouldn't be easy to move the RV out of the snow.

Online I see adapters you can put inline to hook up a tank but I don't want to hook up another tank but rather just fill the RV tank with mine. Do they sell a hose that goes from the RV fill to a portable tank or maybe I have to make my own. If I have to make my own what is the fitting type on the RV fill called?
__________________

__________________
gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 134
THOR #1812
Sure it is possible - have seen a lot of semi-permanent units running off of an external large LP tank - but may be more work than you want to do. Call an LP supplier - they can probably tell you how to plumb an external tank. I know - not the same as filling from an external tank.....

Have you considered a couple of electric space heaters ...
__________________

__________________
Stan fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,515
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
....cut....

Online I see adapters you can put inline to hook up a tank but I don't want to hook up another tank but rather just fill the RV tank with mine. Do they sell a hose that goes from the RV fill to a portable tank or maybe I have to make my own. If I have to make my own what is the fitting type on the RV fill called?
I believe that filling a permanent RV tank from another tank will require a pump. A simple hose can connect two tanks to be used in parallel, but to fill one tank from another requires transferring the liquid, not the gas.

Not sure if it's allowed everywhere because of safety concerns, but if you can't move the RV to a refilling station, have you though of calling a company that may refill on site?
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,127
THOR #3610
The simple answer is NO about filling from another bottle & don't waste your money on that adapter even if just trying to fill the 1lb disposable bottles. YES you can buy the Exend-a-Stay fitting & plumb in a place to add a portable bottle & by adding valve you could leave it all plumbed for future use. Those bottles/tanks are filled by pumping liquid propane at 250+/-psi, so unless you know what you're doing it could be hazardous to your health & anyone close by. Your local l.p. supplier should have the parts & you might see if their mobil guy would come top off your tank, might cost more per gallon, but a lot less work.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,691
THOR #5196
You can buy all the parts you need at Camping World or whoever sells Extend a Stay products. Different size tanks can be purchased from Lowes or similar places. When an LP tank is filled it is the liquid that is transferred and it requires a pump. I added the Extend a Stay to ou previous coach without any problems and it worked Great. If you do the work yourself be SURE you check everything for leaks. Also make sure you use LP compatible tape or pipe dope.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You can buy all the parts you need at Camping World or whoever sells Extend a Stay products. Different size tanks can be purchased from Lowes or similar places. When an LP tank is filled it is the liquid that is transferred and it requires a pump. I added the Extend a Stay to ou previous coach without any problems and it worked Great. If you do the work yourself be SURE you check everything for leaks. Also make sure you use LP compatible tape or pipe dope.
You shouldn't use tape on your flare fittings. Also after adding the tee, your regulator may stick out a bit. Find some sheet metal or wood to extend under it to protect it from road debris. There is a great YouTube video for adding the Camcorder stay a while tee.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,857
THOR #2829
As several have said - no way to easily transfer LP gas from one tank to another...
I wouldn't want to think about the amount of propane a typical (mostly uninsulated - compared to a house) RV would consume to maintain even 50 degrees in -17 weather...

If I am reading your post correctly - you aren't using the RV - it is being stored. Did you winterize it? It should do fine if properly winterized without heat. (don't forget about other can/bottle contents you might have - not just the plumbing system...)

I used a mobile provider to fill up at campground last winter... Had the extend a stay - but didn't have the proper hose or a spare tank with me... After paying that bill - I quickly bought the right hose - and now carry a spare tank on extended trips.... (Extend a stay has 2 taps - I had previously used the one to feed an external grill... didn't have the other hose with fittings to connect an external tank.)
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,691
THOR #5196
Techno, you are absolutely correct abou flare fittings but some kits and fittings are standard pipe thread. All of the parts I used on our Tuscany were pipe thread, no flare fittings at all.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Techno, you are absolutely correct abou flare fittings but some kits and fittings are standard pipe thread. All of the parts I used on our Tuscany were pipe thread, no flare fittings at all.
Here is the one I used. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59123-P...rv+propane+tee

After I installed it, I tested several times for leaks. No leaks. My question is, has people used yellow tape with PTFE on this one minus the one 1/4" flare fitting of course. The instructions says tape not required.... but what is the safest method? TIA
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
Posts: 150
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If I am reading your post correctly - you aren't using the RV - it is being stored. Did you winterize it? It should do fine if properly winterized without heat. (don't forget about other can/bottle contents you might have - not just the plumbing system...)
Yes I did winterize it. The reason I am wanting to keep it heated is extreme cold can be very rough on cheap meterials like plastics, glues. I'm just trying to keep it warmer then freezing to help save what I can. For a few dollars in LP I might beable to save a hassle down the road. In boats I have seen zip ties break. LCD screens crack. I know the displays on my boat are only rated for a storage temperature of -4.

Sunday temps are suppose to get down to -20. I'm gonna look and see if they sell a thermostat that goes down lower then 50. I think keeping at 35 would be ideal.

Thanks all for your responses. I was thinking I could put a hose from the fill on the RV LP tank to a portable bottle. Turn the bottle upside down and open the valve and the liquid would flow into the RV tank. I know if its in a standing position only the gas will flow until pressure is equalized.
__________________
gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,761
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian
Yes I did winterize it. The reason I am wanting to keep it heated is extreme cold can be very rough on cheap meterials like plastics, glues. I'm just trying to keep it warmer then freezing to help save what I can. For a few dollars in LP I might beable to save a hassle down the road. In boats I have seen zip ties break. LCD screens crack. I know the displays on my boat are only rated for a storage temperature of -4.

Sunday temps are suppose to get down to -20. I'm gonna look and see if they sell a thermostat that goes down lower then 50. I think keeping at 35 would be ideal.
Seems to me your doing "much ado about nothing": Our Axis is our 4th camper and all of successfully survived Michigan winters without keeping them heated (UV exposure seems to be far worse on the units than cold temps).

All of the components should be rated at "automotive specs" which goes from -40C to 125C.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,127
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
Yes I did winterize it. The reason I am wanting to keep it heated is extreme cold can be very rough on cheap meterials like plastics, glues. I'm just trying to keep it warmer then freezing to help save what I can. For a few dollars in LP I might beable to save a hassle down the road. In boats I have seen zip ties break. LCD screens crack. I know the displays on my boat are only rated for a storage temperature of -4.

Sunday temps are suppose to get down to -20. I'm gonna look and see if they sell a thermostat that goes down lower then 50. I think keeping at 35 would be ideal.

Thanks all for your responses. I was thinking I could put a hose from the fill on the RV LP tank to a portable bottle. Turn the bottle upside down and open the valve and the liquid would flow into the RV tank. I know if its in a standing position only the gas will flow until pressure is equalized.
That's why those refill adapters don't work, When you turn the bottle over the safety device inside shuts off the flow. If you don't find a mobile supplier & have to plumb it talk to the supplier bout renting a 100# bottle, I did that a few winters ago & save a lot of trips to refill 30#ers.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
Posts: 150
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Seems to me your doing "much ado about nothing": Our Axis is our 4th camper and all of successfully survived Michigan winters without keeping them heated (UV exposure seems to be far worse on the units than cold temps).

All of the components should be rated at "automotive specs" which goes from -40C to 125C.
I would think most of the parts in the RV are not built to automotive specs. Most TV's are only rated for a storage temperature of 0F maybe -5f. Not sure about the cheap TV's I have because there is no listed specs but at -20 there is a very good possibility of the liquid Crystal freezing and destroying the TV.
__________________
gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,761
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian
Not sure about the cheap TV's I have because there is no listed specs but at -20 there is a very good possibility of the liquid Crystal freezing and destroying the TV.
We all have those cheap TVs. So far ours haven't cracked or frozen at all.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,691
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Here is the one I used. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59123-P...rv+propane+tee

After I installed it, I tested several times for leaks. No leaks. My question is, has people used yellow tape with PTFE on this one minus the one 1/4" flare fitting of course. The instructions says tape not required.... but what is the safest method? TIA
Personally I prefer gas rated pipe dope over tape. As long as you checked and don't have any leaks you should be fine.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,127
THOR #3610
There is also gas rated tape, it's yellow.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Personally I prefer gas rated pipe dope over tape. As long as you checked and don't have any leaks you should be fine.
While I didn't have any leaks, my OCD got the best of me. I went back and added pipe dope and rechecked everything. Probably for the best since this is moving down the road. ;-)
__________________

__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×