Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2021, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Finally: A Why Not to Do the Cheap Handling Fix

Out of all the mods I have read and researched before and after buying my RV, the famous "CHF" Cheap Handling Fix has always been the most perplexing to me. Not that I doubt it's simplicity to do, or the benefits that many have experienced, but I have always paused because after years and years of the CHF Mod; why haven't Ford made this standard for the F-53, or at the least; why haven't the RV Mfgs made this modifications when building the RVs?

It is kind of odd because you read all of the benefits, but no one really says why NOT to do the CHF; until I found this video

https://supersteerparts.com/why-you-...your-motorhome

I acknowledge that it is in part a marketing pitch to get customers to buy front stabilizers, but can anyone dispute the material facts of what they are saying? I think the company posting this video has solid reputation. I ran across due to recent purchase of Sumo Springs; but there may be something I am missing?

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:05 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Wait...
Who do YOU think put that second set of perfectly aligning holes there?
Maybe...ford?

Marketing whooie.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:09 AM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Thanks for the video. I had always wondered about the impact of the chf and the surrounding parts, but there are tons of people who swear by it.

As for your comment on why hasn't ford done this, or the manufacturers. Well I had wondered the same thing about the steering stabilizers. They really make a difference and yet they are also not standard.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's pretty easy to find fault; when you're selling an alternate solution.
But now you know to look for incidences of end link failures...
How many will you find?
Old 01-31-2021, 01:21 AM   #5

THOR #13932
You'll find failure and maybe even some percentage of additional failure.

I dont know what f53 end links cost.
The last ones I bought were $12.
For a different vehicle they were $15
A failure if a rubber goody at 100,000 miles or so...

If you want to see some like hogwash, watch Gale Banks selling his differential cover....

Old 01-31-2021, 01:33 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Wait...
Who do YOU think put that second set of perfectly aligning holes there?
Maybe...ford?

Marketing whooie.
Not who... but why, and when?

Was the very 1st F-53 that rolled off Ford's assembly line equipped with both sets of holes? Maybe the current empty holes was the intended original design holes and things didn't go to their liking; so they added a second set of holes which is now the standard holes; but they did not go back to the OEM supplier to have them modify their tooling (mfg process) to eliminate the 2nd set of holes? I don't know but the entire subject is only too crazy because Ford certainly does not talk or comment on CHF or the extra set of holes.

My point is that by now, it ought to be some formal white paper from Ford advising customers as to exactly what is recommended. My guess, is that they won't write one because they do not wish to assume any liability for any modifications made? They know if they were to have eliminated the holes; they would have had another problem with disgruntles who wanted the holes pre-drilled to do the CHF because even I know that if customers starting drilling those holes to do their own CHF, it could introduce even more points of failure ?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-31-2021, 01:54 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Thanks for the video. I had always wondered about the impact of the chf and the surrounding parts, but there are tons of people who swear by it.

As for your comment on why hasn't ford done this, or the manufacturers. Well I had wondered the same thing about the steering stabilizers. They really make a difference and yet they are also not standard.

I believe Ford recently increased sway bar sizes on F53, partly to increase maximum allowed center of gravity for MH builders to design even taller motorhomes. It would not be my first choice, preferring lower motorhomes that inherently handle better.

Spring-loaded steering “return to center” devices are marketed very well at retail level but are not well accepted by the OEM crowd. Some use dampers, but I’m not aware of any major chassis manufacturer that uses them. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:58 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I did a search on the goggles about the CHF. The only hits that said not to do it was the sales pitch from the steering stabilizer folks. Nothing from Ford. On the contrary, it seems like 99% of the hits were from RV forums saying mostly to do it. I honestly believe that if it was detrimental to safety or reliability we would have had some type of publicity about not doing it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:02 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So let me get this straight. We should dismiss thousands and thousands of positive anecdotal experience because a 845 subscriber Youtube channel posts a video where they found ONE F53 with an improperly done CHF with a broken stabilizer link? And the guys doing the video don't even know there is no stress on the stabilizer bar unless the wheel pair is unevenly loaded as in body lean body sway, or uneven roadway?

That chassis requires longer links to properly do the CHF.

Look at the video comments on Youtube.

Why do you think the CHF is "infamous"? The CHF is famous. There is a difference.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:05 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
This is kind of like the “cheap” way guys would do a lift on the 99-07 Silverado’s/Sierra’s with the torsion bars. 95% of the time no one would have any problems. But there were always those guys that would blow the CV joint because they were at such a bad angle. If it’s just going to cause premature wear really no reason to not do it just knowing at some point you will have to upgrade. Everything is going to wear out so if you can get the desired results without having to upgrade right away then so be it.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:09 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I had one of those "twisted" Chevys. It worked just fine!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:14 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So let me get this straight. We should dismiss thousands and thousands of positive anecdotal experience because a 845 subscriber Youtube channel posts a video where they found ONE F53 with an improperly done CHF with a broken stabilizer link? And the guys doing the video don't even know there is no stress on the stabilizer bar unless the wheel pair is unevenly loaded as in body lean body sway, or uneven roadway?

That chassis requires longer links to properly do the CHF.

Look at the video comments on Youtube.

Why do you think the CHF is "infamous"? The CHF is famous. There is a difference.
Infamous to me was intended to be like notorious, but I was able to edit to famous

As I said before, I know this is tried and proven. But, I wish to know why Ford and later the Mfgs don't do this before RVs are sold?

This video is actually the very 1st I have seen of anyone with a negative position toward CHF. I hope in this thread to come, I learn the rest of the story behind the CHF. Hopefully someone will tell me what I seek, I can handle the truth.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:19 AM   #13

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I had one of those "twisted" Chevys. It worked just fine!
Ha it worked for most people. I had a buddy though that wanted to squeeze in bigger tires and cranked them as far as they could. He didn’t like the fact that with a 6 inch lift I could easily get 35 MTs on my 05. Needless to say he went through the CV joints.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:26 AM   #14

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I had 2° torsion bar keys for about a day and a half.
The ride sucked.
I had special torsion bar holders made.

Here's a picture of the outcome.
A five inch lift
and
'LOOK MA! That guys got no torsion bars ashowin'!!' 'Thet caint be raht!!'

Sway bar ends going bad are what sway bar ends are for.

The video is meant to trap housespouse into being skeered.
Oh man I miss those 2 door blazers the s10 and the full-size. I had a 95 loved that truck. That’s a good looking rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B38FEB71-EC90-437A-91B1-7F564962F0ED.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	28340  
Old 01-31-2021, 02:55 AM   #15

THOR #13932
That post was a lot of
ME ME MEEEEEEEE!
So I deleted it.
I'll always have this blazer.

As you can see from the picture the torsion bar thing took more than one try.
I dropped both of them 30 miles from pavement.
My rv mods also get modded when they fail.

I just gave away a k5 with an unused new trans and unused $1,500 rear end.
Money pit. Cut my losses and gave someone a chance to lose $10,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160421_111738~02.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	28341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0409[1].jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	28342  

Old 01-31-2021, 03:19 AM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Infamous to me was intended to be like notorious, but I was able to edit to famous

As I said before, I know this is tried and proven. But, I wish to know why Ford and later the Mfgs don't do this before RVs are sold?

This video is actually the very 1st I have seen of anyone with a negative position toward CHF. I hope in this thread to come, I learn the rest of the story behind the CHF. Hopefully someone will tell me what I seek, I can handle the truth.
John McKinney first did the chf many years ago. He shared his mod on irv2. com and it took off

If you search chf on irv2 you'll find the thread and all tge history you want. It will take you a couple weeks to read it but it's all there

There are a few complaints mainly a knocking sound and complaints about front tires coming off the ground when leveling. But very few people when back to stock

I've discussed it with Ford mechanics that worked on my mh and they liked the idea about stiffening the front end. They didn't see a problem with it at all

Bottom line it works but in tge end it's up to the owner

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:26 AM   #17

THOR #3156
I just watched the linked video. Two comments. There was only opinion and no numbers or facts saying why it's bad

The irv2 thread has all kinds of figures and facts saying why it's good

Did anyone else notice the two holes on the upgraded sway bar. Why did they make theirs with two holes

Lastly I do agree the bar should be more parallel to tge ground which us why I made my chf plates. They aren't needed proven by actual users but I like this set up better

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104517.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	28343
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-31-2021, 03:43 AM   #18

THOR #13932
They do bind a bit if not level.
It wears out $12 little bitty rubber thingies in 60,000 miles instead of 100,000 miles.

My sway connectors are a bit short so the bar is not level. I'll get a picture tomorrow.
It's not f53 and it's not e450 but it is ford.
I haven't checked to see if I have chf holes.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:43 AM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
John McKinney first did the chf many years ago. He shared his mod on irv2. com and it took off

If you search chf on irv2 you'll find the thread and all tge history you want. It will take you a couple weeks to read it but it's all there

There are a few complaints mainly a knocking sound and complaints about front tires coming off the ground when leveling. But very few people when back to stock

I've discussed it with Ford mechanics that worked on my mh and they liked the idea about stiffening the front end. They didn't see a problem with it at all

Bottom line it works but in the end it's up to the owner

Jerry
This is very helpful I have found the thread back in 2010 with almost 450 pages!!!!

So the extra holes were already there That is odd?

Below was his 1st post on the subject. I recently purchased Front & Rear Sumo Springs, they are not installed yet. When I take to the local Sumo Springs Dealer to install; I will ask about their view on the CHF. In the meantime, I read up on this info and maybe learn a few more pros and cons.

Not sure I can do a CHF if I already have Safe T Plus Stabilizer?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/chea...fix-72335.html

Cheap Handling Fix
Drove to Alaska in June and on the way up the swaying and rocking got really aggravating. While changing oil in Fairbanks I noticed that the front sway bars have two sets of holes. I moved the links to the inner set of holes figuring it would make the sway bar harder to twist thereby increasing the roll stiffness.

I was right. The improvement was amazing. Sway is reduced by 50%, cornering is more responsive and it even rocks less when parked. No Ill effects so far after 5,000 miles.

Cost? $Zero
Old 01-31-2021, 04:17 AM   #20

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This is very helpful I have found the thread back in 2010 with almost 450 pages!!!!

So the extra holes were already there That is odd?

Below was his 1st post on the subject. I recently purchased Front & Rear Sumo Springs, they are not installed yet. When I take to the local Sumo Springs Dealer to install; I will ask about their view on the CHF. In the meantime, I read up on this info and maybe learn a few more pros and cons.

Not sure I can do a CHF if I already have Safe T Plus Stabilizer?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/chea...fix-72335.html

Cheap Handling Fix

Drove to Alaska in June and on the way up the swaying and rocking got really aggravating. While changing oil in Fairbanks I noticed that the front sway bars have two sets of holes. I moved the links to the inner set of holes figuring it would make the sway bar harder to twist thereby increasing the roll stiffness.

I was right. The improvement was amazing. Sway is reduced by 50%, cornering is more responsive and it even rocks less when parked. No Ill effects so far after 5,000 miles.

Cost? $Zero

John McKinley

2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,

Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
The chf has nothing to do with the safe t plus. Chf is in front of the axle the safe t plus is behind the axle
FMCA # F464385