Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Finding RV Dealer To Install Sumo

Ordered and received my front and rear Sumo Springs quickly. Once I read all the directions and viewed the online install video it was obvious I wouldn't be doing the install. Numerous holes have to be drilled in the frame plus rear duals need to come off.

I am camped within 35 miles of two metro areas that have well over 130,000 pop each. Finally I was able to talk the third RV shop into doing the install. No one had ever heard of Sumo Springs let alone installed them! Sure hope these make a $1600 to $1800 difference in handling. Otherwise I've spent a ton of money to make my suspension more colorful.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Ordered and received my front and rear Sumo Springs quickly. Once I read all the directions and viewed the online install video it was obvious I wouldn't be doing the install. Numerous holes have to be drilled in the frame plus rear duals need to come off.

I am camped within 35 miles of two metro areas that have well over 130,000 pop each. Finally I was able to talk the third RV shop into doing the install. No one had ever heard of Sumo Springs let alone installed them! Sure hope these make a $1600 to $1800 difference in handling. Otherwise I've spent a ton of money to make my suspension more colorful.
Joe how much are they charging you for labor? I had Sumos on my Vegas, which made a big difference. I am looking to purchase them for my Windsport and found them on Amazon for 459.00 for the front and 459.00 for the rear. They were 440.00 for the front and rear but have gone up in price. Labor should be around 200.00.

Kev
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #3

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Quote:

I installed the front Sumo springs myself, but had the rears installed by a local RV service center for 225.00 I am currently on a 3 week 3,000 mile trip through the Midwest, back to Florida and the Sumo springs have made a huge difference on our ACE 30.3 MH. Both in stiff cross wind handling and semi blow by. Along with a steering stabilizer and CHF our MH handles like a dream! One handed relaxed driving, love it!!

Steven B.
S/W Florida
Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 AM   #4

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Sumo install

I forgot to add to my last post that I went to Charlotte RV in Port Charlotte for my install. I was their first Sumo Spring install, so there was a bit of a learning curve. I had to show them how it was done, but after a slight misstep on the first attempt, they got them on right. They have always treated me right on any repairs or warranty work and are nice people!!
If you go there, they now know how to install them
Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

THOR #5246
Kev, I thought I answered a few days ago but my post must not have went. Working from phone while on the road.

Their rate is $105 per hour. He said it takes an hour to remove and replace each set of duals, so add another 2 for each axle.....maybe $600 and change at the most.

Steve, Charlotte RV would have been my first choice if I waited until returning home to have them installed. Have heard good things about them. I am hoping my results on handling improvements will mirror yours!!!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #6

THOR #5246
The local RV repair shop completed my Sumo install today (D&H RV Repair, Peoria IL). They do air bags but had never done a set of Sumos.

Unopened box for front Sumos was missing two bolts, which held things up a little, but entire install took this shop 7 hours. Not cheap but appeared to be a good install.

Had about a 20 mile interstate drive after install to get back to CG. Cross winds of about 15-18mph and heavy traffic. Noticable difference in handling. Coach does not sway nearly as much.

In summary, after CHF, front end alignment, SafeT Plus, and now Sumos, my handling is about 75% better. Probably will not make any additional modifications for now.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
The local RV repair shop completed my Sumo install today (D&H RV Repair, Peoria IL). They do air bags but had never done a set of Sumos.

Unopened box for front Sumos was missing two bolts, which held things up a little, but entire install took this shop 7 hours. Not cheap but appeared to be a good install.

Had about a 20 mile interstate drive after install to get back to CG. Cross winds of about 15-18mph and heavy traffic. Noticable difference in handling. Coach does not sway nearly as much.

In summary, after CHF, front end alignment, SafeT Plus, and now Sumos, my handling is about 75% better. Probably will not make any additional modifications for now.
Joe

Glad To hear you got the install done and your happy with the results. My new coach is due in next week and I Already have the Safe T Plus. I will get the Sumos next but I was surprised to see that they are triple the cost of the ones for the Vegas.

Kev
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:

Was the 7 hours for front and back sumos???

Im planning on getting the fronts and installing them myself.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I see you bought both front and rear. Guess i should have started reading at the start of this thread.

The front tires do not need to come off. I think i can do the install in 2-3 hours. Drilling the holes in the frame will probably be the hardest part.

I dont know when ill buy them but probably soon. Chf and rear track bar has made the ride great. Sumos will be my last suspension upgrade.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #10
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I see you bought both front and rear. Guess i should have started reading at the start of this thread.

The front tires do not need to come off. I think i can do the install in 2-3 hours. Drilling the holes in the frame will probably be the hardest part.

I dont know when ill buy them but probably soon. Chf and rear track bar has made the ride great. Sumos will be my last suspension upgrade.

Jerry
Your coach should handle like a sports car with those mods. :
Old 06-09-2017, 02:00 AM   #11

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Joe

Glad To hear you got the install done and your happy with the results. My new coach is due in next week and I Already have the Safe T Plus. I will get the Sumos next but I was surprised to see that they are triple the cost of the ones for the Vegas.

Kev
They are a little pricey. Of course I am only familiar with prices for larger F53 chassis. With labor I have over $1,800 invested. If I had been home I probably could have installed fronts, but the rear would be a struggle I think.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #12

THOR #5246
Quote:

Jerry
You are correct Jerry, front tires do not come off for install. Actually the shop ended up doing my rears without taking duals off also. They had a right angle attachment for their drill.

I didn't ask for exact breakdown but I checked in on them a couple times and it seemed the rear probably took 4 hours and the front closer to 3.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 AM   #13
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:

Jerry
Jerry there are some good YouTube videos on the install process.

Kev