Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5125
Vegas Front Seat

Afternoon all.

We just returned from our 6th trip in our new Vegas 25.1. We love the way it drives and rides. So far so good. One issue I do have is with the front driver's seat. After only a couple of hours, I am ready for a break. It seems like the seat may be a little short/slanted and I constantly feel like I am sliding forward.

Has anyone modified the driver's seat? Not sure if a pad of some kind might help. What about a replacement? Has anyone replaced the seat with a power/lumbar adjustment?

Thanks

John

Old 10-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Funny you should mention this. We have a Vegas 24.1 and did about 2000 miles in it in the last week . I had the same feeling that the driver seat had the wrong angle on it .
I am in the process of post trip cleaning and some mods which will include taking that seat off of it's mount .
I plan to see if I can either make a wedge to correct the bad angle or bring the seat to my local upholsterer to have him beef up the front of the bottom cushion.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by giagejohn View Post
Afternoon all.

We just returned from our 6th trip in our new Vegas 25.1. We love the way it drives and rides. So far so good. One issue I do have is with the front driver's seat. After only a couple of hours, I am ready for a break. It seems like the seat may be a little short/slanted and I constantly feel like I am sliding forward.

Has anyone modified the driver's seat? Not sure if a pad of some kind might help. What about a replacement? Has anyone replaced the seat with a power/lumbar adjustment?

Thanks

John
Hello John,

We have a Hurricane 27K and we find the same thing to be true with our front seats. The driver's side is powered, so hubby can try to adjust it for comfort when driving. But when we're parked and turn the seats around for just sitting, they really seem to lean forward.

On the passenger side the seat always feels to me like it's leaning forward, including when we are underway. I've made a temporary fix by buying a wedge-shaped foam cushion to sit on. I put the thicker edge of the cushion toward the front of the seat and that helps me feel less like I'm sliding downward.

We hope to be able to replace these front seats one day with some higher quality ones. It's just that we have so many other things we want to do as well, so the new seats on just on the wish list for now.

Eileen in AZ
Old 10-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I'd first check to make sure someone didn't mix and match the wrong base and swivel parts, or installed them incorrectly, before modifying the seats themselves.

Seats should swivel about a vertical axis so that seat angle remains the same whether facing forward or back -- or to the sides for that matter.

Many seats have a slide at an angle that raise the seat as it moves forward (for shorter driver/passengers), and lowers the seat as it moves back for taller people. If for some reason a swivel base was mounted at an angle (above the slide), I can see where the seat would change angle as it rotates. And seats shouldn't do that.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron has raised the front of the drivers seat with a stack of large metal washers to get the height he needs . Before next season, I want to do the same to passenger seat.
**additional...he set the stack of 3 washers on the slide rail directly under the seat..in doing this, it does not affect the seat when he rotates it when at campsite.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
careful tipping it to far back, or with too big of a wedge cushion.... you might start having low back pain
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
I have a similar issue with the drivers seat on our 2017 Vegas 25.2. The seat seems to lean slightly to the right and forward. Makes for a long day on the road. Haven't come up with a fix so far. Looking for ideas.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Just spent some time under the front seats of my Vegas and found that the seats are held to the swivel mounts with 4 5/16" studs .
I took the nuts off ( 1/2" socket) and placed .300 spacers that I happened to have under the front two seat studs on each seat. The same could be accomplished by stacking washers.
It seems that .300 (a little more than 1/4") is all you can squeeze in there or else there won't be enough threads on the stud for the nut to grab.
That got rid of the bad angle on my seats and did not effect the swivel function at all .
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I have just the opposite problem with the seats being to high at the front, making it to high for my legs to rest properly on the floor. I am not a short person, being around 6 ft. on a good day. It looks as if it may be possible to space up the base rear to tilt it more towards the front. If that does not work out, I may put a foot rest on floor or if that does not work, remove the seat, and shorten the post.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

THOR #5125
Some great tips. Thanks!

I will try the washers tomorrow and post some pictures. Thanks again for all of the replies.

John
Old 10-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On our Windsport the seats aren't to bad except the right armrest is about an inch higher than the left, on both seats! My wife is 5' 5" and her feet don't touch the floor when seated, I bought a memory foam cushion designed to go under a desk, she was very uncomfortable with her legs dangling. The drivers seat is also mounted to high, I don't think my wife could drive because of the seat height. When I have time I will see if there is a way to lower the seats, it will probably be a PIA to do. Guess Thor doesn't think about vertically challenged individuals!
Old 10-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #12

THOR #5125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
On our Windsport the seats aren't to bad except the right armrest is about an inch higher than the left, on both seats! My wife is 5' 5" and her feet don't touch the floor when seated, I bought a memory foam cushion designed to go under a desk, she was very uncomfortable with her legs dangling. The drivers seat is also mounted to high, I don't think my wife could drive because of the seat height. When I have time I will see if there is a way to lower the seats, it will probably be a PIA to do. Guess Thor doesn't think about vertically challenged individuals!
SuperD

My wife is 5'2" and has the same problem. She puts her feet up on the dash because her calves start to hurt trying to tippy toe touch the floor. Do you have a make/model number or picture of the foam cushion? I am sure she would appreciate it.

Thanks

And also, thank your for service.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #13

THOR #5196
This is what I got my wife from Amazon: Office Foot Rest - High Rebound Memory Foam With Anti-Slip Cover. The price was 29.99. Wife says it is very comfortable, has little rubber nubs to keep it from sliding around, she really likes it! Hope this helps your wife too, ALWAYS got to keep them happy! Lol

Sorry, but haven't figured out how to post pictures from my iPad.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
Arm Rests

My problem is that the arm rests are at slightly ~1/2" different heights. Does anyone know how to adjust these?
thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #15

THOR #5196
Arm rests on both front seats are the same way!!! Without disassembling the chair no way to adjust!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by giagejohn View Post
SuperD

My wife is 5'2" and has the same problem. She puts her feet up on the dash because her calves start to hurt trying to tippy toe touch the floor. Do you have a make/model number or picture of the foam cushion? I am sure she would appreciate it.

Thanks

And also, thank your for service.
I am 5'8" ... and I am not comfortable with my feet on the floor in front of the passenger seat....Ron had a chunk of 4x4 landscaping timber...wrapped it in a towel...stapled it and it works great for me ! ... I still like to put my feet up on the dashboard, though...always have !...good for the circulation.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

THOR #5196
Vibe, whatever works, right! American innovation at its best!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
We have similar problems with the driver's seat and the passenger's seat. The driver's seat slants left to right, the arm rests are not as the same height, the seat is not perpendicular to the dash and steering wheel (7 degrees off center) and the seat bolsters are non existent and to not match the passenger seat. The passenger seat arm rests are not aligned.
A trip to the factory resulted in nada being done. We sent a letter to the president of Thor over this and other issues. So far, no response, which is typical of Thor. The seats should be repaired or replaced by Thor. This is not a dealer issue.

Does anyone know who makes these crummy seats? My 1970 Ford F-150 had better seats.
Thanks for the help and input. I thought we were the only ones having this problem, or so said Thor.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure if they are the same but the seats in my Challenger were manufactured by FlexSteel.

Here is the link to their website.

RV Seats | Bucket Seats | Flexsteel Recreation
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Hurricane Seats

dstankov,

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Our seats do not have the flexsteel logo on the arm rest, so I doubt they were not made by flexsteel. Who ever makes them is too ashamed to out their name on the seats. Waiting on Thor for a response.

Tags
vegas 25.1