Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
You can be connected to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time. Our radio has been a disappointment for us. The reception is very poor so we seldom use it. Guess that’s what happens when there are a lot of trees.
I notice the reception on the dash radio is much better than the bedroom radio. The radio is located low to the floor and there is only a small wire antenna plugged into the back of the radio. We stream a lot of music via our iPhones so we don't use the over the air radio much.

Thanks for all your help. I should be getting the install package and the module next Wednesday. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Burch

Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The BR radio does have a "wire antenna" as many radios have had for years. One of the problems, and a consistent one with the builders, is the coiled antenna wire from the box" is not "uncoiled" and ran up into the wall as it should be. During my Wakarusa Vacation the technician pulled the wire out and located it best he could up the wall behind some trim. It made a dramatic difference in reception. I would safely assume all rear BR radios on similar coaches share the same problem. The slides are built before the radios are installed...thus, they just stick it in the hole, stuff the wires in the back and leave it that way.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Burch, take pics as you go if possible and detail the steps you take for install. I will be ordering this upgrade soon as well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The BR radio does have a "wire antenna" as many radios have had for years. One of the problems, and a consistent one with the builders, is the coiled antenna wire from the box" is not "uncoiled" and ran up into the wall as it should be. During my Wakarusa Vacation the technician pulled the wire out and located it best he could up the wall behind some trim. It made a dramatic difference in reception. I would safely assume all rear BR radios on similar coaches share the same problem. The slides are built before the radios are installed...thus, they just stick it in the hole, stuff the wires in the back and leave it that way.

Thanks Gritz. I’ll check it out once we get unit back from dealer. Still fighting leak issues.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #25

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Thanks Gritz. I’ll check it out once we get unit back from dealer. Still fighting leak issues.
Taking the Miramar back to the dealer next week for a leaking dinette windows. Second time it's been in for the same leak.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Very interesting I’d like that upgrade also, we use the little bubbles now and they work well but having the phone control would be great. Can we get that contact info?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
Very interesting I’d like that upgrade also, we use the little bubbles now and they work well but having the phone control would be great. Can we get that contact info?

The number I called was (574) 20825-4600. I just told them what I wanted and they transferred me to the correct person.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #28

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
I just filled out the contact us form on their website and someone emailed me within the hour.

Contact | Firefly Integrations
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #29

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
We looked at this for our 2018 Palazzo and decided that there was not enough value on the module for the over $600.00 purchase. We take one of our Alexa Dot units with us and use our phone to turn on lights connected to modules, once we have service - depends on what you want the Multiplex panel to do whether it's worth the money and the install. If I find $600.00 under the couch cushions I'll purchase the unit. Going to be a while I think. The sales rep was great and helpful in my questions though.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #30

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
We take one of our Alexa Dot units with us and use our phone to turn on lights connected to modules, once we have service - depends on what you want the Multiplex panel to do whether it's worth the money and the install.
Just a warning on the Alexa unit. If you have it connected to the internet, it can upload a lot of data. My wife's boss got her one when they first came out. I hooked it up and rarely used it in the house. It had not been used in months and one day I was logged into my home router to do a firmware update. I noticed that one of my wireless connected devices had uploaded gigabytes of data compared to all the other connected devices. It was the Alexa unit. I immediately unhooked it and got rid of it. I have no idea what it was sending or who it was sending data to. Really freaked me out!

Burch
Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #31

THOR #13712
Metalgator, Interesting information. I've worked in Cybersecurity for over 20 years and have a pretty good handle on what's going on in my home environment and I have not had this issue. I have had the device speak up when the TV says "Alexa", but I have it set to not to respond out - no purchase power. You can see on your smart phone what the device has been doing - it's all logged there. I'll look to do some research on the issue and see what I can find out.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #32

THOR #6451
Quote:
Metalgator, Interesting information. I've worked in Cybersecurity for over 20 years and have a pretty good handle on what's going on in my home environment and I have not had this issue. I have had the device speak up when the TV says "Alexa", but I have it set to not to respond out - no purchase power. You can see on your smart phone what the device has been doing - it's all logged there. I'll look to do some research on the issue and see what I can find out.

I work in IT as well. I would have never noticed it if I hadn't logged into my Asus router to do the firmware update. I hadn't spoken to Alexa in months and was shocked at home much bandwidth it was using. I have cameras all over my house that stream 24/7 and the bandwidth they were using was a fraction of what Alexa was using. I had the original Alexa that looks like a cylinder.

Burch
Old 01-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #33

THOR #13712
Interesting, I'll have the check the camera usage - has not been much as far as the metric indicate.
Chuck

Old 01-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #34

THOR #6451
I'm supposed to receive my App programmer today. If I have time, I will run to the motorhome tomorrow at lunch and install the system. I will report back how it works.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #35

THOR #13712
Metalgator, let us know how it goes! While I'm interested in the update, with all the upcoming expenses we have coming - tow dolly, etc., we will have to wait for a while. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #36

THOR #6451
I just installed the software. It was very easy. I had version 2.16 and this updated me to version 2.19. I didn't install the module yet. You have to mount it somewhere and plug it into the panel. I will plug it in this weekend and see how it works.

Burch
Old 01-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #37

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
I was trying to figure out if I could retrofit the new Firefly system on to my old LCI Rapid Camp system. Sure would be a nice upgrade....
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #38

THOR #13712
I was hoping the module was mounted by the electrical panel (on the bed pedestal in the Palazzo) sounds like it needs to be by the master touch panel?

What did you hook into to load the software - People were discussing a cable, but I see no plug in connections and don't detect any Bluetooth signal. Can you sens a picture of the module - and size? Thanks

Old 01-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #39

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChateau33SW View Post
I was trying to figure out if I could retrofit the new Firefly system on to my old LCI Rapid Camp system. Sure would be a nice upgrade....

I doubt it. Everything on the firefly system hooks up to a central control board. Mine is located in front/under the bed. I had to update the software for it to be able to recognize the Vegatouch module.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #40

THOR #6451
Quote:
I was hoping the module was mounted by the electrical panel (on the bed pedestal in the Palazzo) sounds like it needs to be by the master touch panel?

What did you hook into to load the software - People were discussing a cable, but I see no plug in connections and don't detect any Bluetooth signal. Can you sens a picture of the module - and size? Thanks

On my Miramar, there are two panels under the bed right next to each other. One is the electrical panel with all the breakers and then there what Firefly calls the G7 panel. All the systems in the RV are wired to that panel. That is where you plug in the programmer and the Veratouch module. The programmer is just a small PC board with 4 buttons and a cable. The cable plugs into the G7 Panel (not the master touch panel where you control everything). Once you plug in the programmer, 4 lights come on next to the 4 buttons. You push the A button until the light turns solid green. You do the same thing with the B button and then the C button. The D button doesn't really do much. The tech person on the phone said to push it once, wait 10 seconds, and then push it again. You then have to turn off the 12 volt power to the RV. I unplugged the AC power cord from my garage and then pushed the "store" button on the battery switch. I then turned the battery switch to "use" and the touch panel came back on and indicated the new software was installed by pushing the setting button and looking at the GUI and LC version numbers.

I haven't plugged in the module yet as I haven't figured out how to mount it. It plugs into one of the same ports on the G7 panel as the programmer did.

I will try and run back over to the Motorhome on my lunch break today and take some pictures.

Burch