Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Firefly Multiplex with iPhone app

We purchased a 2018 Miramar 35.3 about a year and a half ago. It came with the Multiplex panel and sub panels to control everything in the RV. We were at the Tampa RV show this past weekend and I noticed the 2019 models had a newer multiplex system with a color panel. The salesman I spoke with said that this newer system could be controlled with a smart phone or tablet. I called Firefly systems and told them I had the older system with the smaller monotone screen. I asked if my system could be updated to work with the phone and tablet apps. I took a picture of the system screen and emailed them. They said my system could be upgraded and it was a simple 5 minute install. It's expensive but I am thinking about it.

Does anymore have this type of system? If so, do you like it? I always have my phone in my pocket so it would be nice to be able to control lights, awnings etc without having to go the the panel or one of the sub panels.

Burch

Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
How much is it? The factory rep showed the new one to me when there. He said (which was obvious) I had the older one (2018) and they were working on an upgrade. I would buy it...tell me more!! For me, it would be nice to turn lights on when approaching coach. The older system does not have back lighting on the individual panels. I did learn that, the small panels can be snapped off the wall and used like a remote. I do this with the one at the door since it has awning, lights, bay lights, etc. on it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

THOR #6451
They told me $650. I believe it updates the software and there is a module you install in the panel under the bed. He said the install should take about 5 minutes. The range is within 90' of the motorhome.

Here is a picture of my touch screen with the current software version. He said it would work with this version.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

THOR #11130
That's like mine. Fixed side panels are same but screen is a different layout (different coach). I would pay that today if I knew it would work. I need to look into what mine is and see if it will convert. Wonder if there's an upgrade to offer backlit sub panels? I would replace 2 or 3 of those if so. If would be nice to turn on A/C's from afar.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

THOR #6451
I would think for backlit sub panels, they would need to be hardwired or the batteries would need to be replaced all the time. We ended up putting one of those clear cabinet door bumpers with the adhesive on the light button on each of the sub panels. When it is dark you can just feel the panel and push the button that has the bump. They look like this but much smaller.

I have emailed firefly my information and someone from their accounting department is supposed to be getting back to me.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Fire fly

We've had our 2019 Challenger with the newer system since Hershey show last September,it works great,all 6 wall mounted switches do pop off of the wall mount and can be used mobile they each have a small watch battery in them and each switch controls multiple light's,awnings,overhead bunk etc,and you can control and view everything on phone or tablet that's on the main panel. It is very nice I do everything outside with my phone ,awnings,slides, check levels,lights,when pulling in at night can turn all lights on from car,also can hit master light and turn all lights off or on with one tap. Ask them about the app because I received an email from fire fly about a month ago to change my log on before Dec 1st because after there would be a fee for new users. Enjoying fulltime in the challenger in Florida for the winter.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I would pay that today if I knew it would work.
I received a call from them today and ordered the module. Apparently they send you some type of programmer cable to update the software. It costs $50 but if you send it back they refund the money. There is also some type of module that needs to be plugged in. I should have everything to install next Wednesday. They are supposed to send me instructions via email today so I can read over the process before I get the parts. I'll respond to this thread and let you know how it goes.

Burch
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I did the upgrade. Works great. When we come back to the MH after dark my wife turns on the lights, etc. before we get out of vehicle. Install was a snap.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Please keep me posted...if you can, forward the info they are sending you so I can read up also. I will get the little bubbles also for those 2AM "security checks".
Old 01-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #10

THOR #11362
Can someone summarize how to get this? The number to call? Who to speak to?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #11

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
Can someone summarize how to get this? The number to call? Who to speak to?

In my case I Googled Firefly Systems, called the number listed and told them what I wanted. They will walk you through getting some information off the panel and give you a price.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #12

THOR #11362
How good is the app? Any screenshots?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

THOR #11362
With further research, I have found what this is. It's Firefly's Vegatouch Mira Module. Can be found in Firefly's catalog http://www.fireflyintegrations.com/a...v6_digital.pdf

Page 18
Old 01-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #14

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
How good is the app? Any screenshots?

The app is very good. Can control everything from the app that can be controlled from the main panel. I can’t take any screen shots right now because I am not connected to the main unit. The app downloads the information from the main panel when it connects via the Bluetooth module.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #15

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I did the upgrade. Works great. When we come back to the MH after dark my wife turns on the lights, etc. before we get out of vehicle. Install was a snap.
What year is your motorhome and which panel do you have? I have the older style monotone panel which I have posted a few messages above. When you installed, did you do it yourself or did you have them on the phone? They sent me a 1 page document that was lacking information. I emailed them about it and someone called me yesterday and said when I get the package to call and ask for tech support and they would walk me through the install. I just hope it works with my older system but they said it would.

Burch
Old 01-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #16

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
What year is your motorhome and which panel do you have? I have the older style monotone panel which I have posted a few messages above. When you installed, did you do it yourself or did you have them on the phone? They sent me a 1 page document that was lacking information. I emailed them about it and someone called me yesterday and said when I get the package to call and ask for tech support and they would walk me through the install. I just hope it works with my older system but they said it would.

Burch

I have the monochrome just like yours. The instructions they sent were adequate. I did the install myself. I did make a call to tech support to verify one step. I believe there were four buttons on the programming device they sent. The fourth button didn’t seem to upload anything to the controller but they said that was correct. Support was very good.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #17

THOR #6451
Quote:
I have the monochrome just like yours. The instructions they sent were adequate. I did the install myself. I did make a call to tech support to verify one step. I believe there were four buttons on the programming device they sent. The fourth button didn’t seem to upload anything to the controller but they said that was correct. Support was very good.
The two questions I had were the 4th button and which button was the GUI install and the Base install. I guess you just answered one question as the picture on the instructions show three lights and 4 buttons.

The other question I had was the instructions said if you load the GUI software first, you might get an error and to install the Base software first. The instructions didn't show which button was the base software or the GUI software.

Burch
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #18

THOR #2020
Quote:

The other question I had was the instructions said if you load the GUI software first, you might get an error and to install the Base software first. The instructions didn't show which button was the base software or the GUI software.

Burch

On our install the buttons were marked A B C D (or 1 2 3 4 - not sure which). The instructions were to press the buttons in order. Unfortunately I didn’t keep the instructions so I’m going by memory. I just remember that it was a smooth install.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #19

THOR #6451
Quote:
On our install the buttons were marked A B C D (or 1 2 3 4 - not sure which). The instructions were to press the buttons in order. Unfortunately I didn’t keep the instructions so I’m going by memory. I just remember that it was a smooth install.
My instructions don't specify any order but they are labeled a,b,c,d so I will do it in that order.

The other question I have is can you be connected to more than one bluetooth device at once on the motorhome. For example, we listen to the outside radio a lot and I can control it from my Jenson app via bluetooth. The actual radio is located in the bedroom. If I am connected to the radio, can I also still be connected to the firefly system? I am assuming that if I am using the radio and then want to extend the awning, I would have to disconnect from the radio and connect to the firefly system on my phone.

Burch
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #20

THOR #2020
Quote:

The other question I have is can you be connected to more than one bluetooth device at once on the motorhome.

Burch

You can be connected to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time. Our radio has been a disappointment for us. The reception is very poor so we seldom use it. Guess that’s what happens when there are a lot of trees.