Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
Flat towing setup

New 2021 Four Winds Class C unit and we are driving to Minnesota and towing a car on a UHAUL two wheel dolly. However, we do have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee so I am wondering about the cost to flat two that vehicle.

So my question is; what costs might I pay for a complete flat tow setup?

Old 06-29-2021, 11:36 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitso View Post
New 2021 Four Winds Class C unit and we are driving to Minnesota and towing a car on a UHAUL two wheel dolly. However, we do have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee so I am wondering about the cost to flat two that vehicle.

So my question is; what costs might I pay for a complete flat tow setup?

I set up my Wrangler with pretty deluxe equipment for about $3,000. Did all of the installation myself. Probably could have done it for less but I’m very pleased with my setup. Having it done can cost as much as $4,000.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First off, can your Cherokee be flat towed. Some cannot based on the installed transfer case.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unless your 2014 Cherokee has the 'active II' transmission, with a NEUTRAL button, you can't tow a Cherokee 4-down.
but, regardless, the cost to install a base-plate, purchase the tow bar, and have the internal wiring kit installed, will probably the same, or more, than a nice tow dolly, where none of that is required, and you can tow most any vehicle on it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
From your Owners Manual:

Make sure you have the right "Power Transfer Unit".

If so:

Baseplate - $500
Towbar - $100 - $1000
Light Kit - $100
Braking System - $700 - $1200

And then add labor of you don't do it yourself.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
If you are going to buy either a dolly or flat tow set up you will be spending for either. 4 down not storage issues at home or at RV parks. The parks can be a real issue out in the West and Northwest. The plus side for me with a dolly is if I had multiple cars and one needed a dolly. Other than that like the 4 down better.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:34 PM   #7

THOR #6433
For our wrangler it was about 3500 bucks, paid to be installed. Well worth the cost if your Jeep can be towed. Like what was stated easier to store. But if you need to be sure you are keeping that vehicle. Unless you are doing the work yourself that can get expensive switching the set up between cars.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:05 AM   #8
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Purchased a tow dolly. My wife balked about the cost of the tow bar and break system. Went across country for three months. Found it it be a pain in the A$$. Can not fit you in a pull through and have to store your dolly in the other parking area. - One night! Five times. Had a blow out on the dolly! Wife went totally nuts and screamed we lost the car on I80 in Nebraska. Change the dolly tire. Had to disconnect the car and back it off. Then drive it back on. Reconnect it. Managed not to get killed with trucks and cars going 75 plus two feet away. Could not wait to get rid of it. My wife did not complain about the cost for the tow bar and brake system.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #16641
Flat Tow

Personally If your Jeep is towable I would go with the tow bar. You can find most of what you need on eBay Craigslist or here on the classified forum. You probably will have to get the tow plate new and the lights harness new I just switched over for around 1,200 done the work myself towbar and brake buddy from eBay

Also you can use the magnetic lights for around $40.00.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
sip

THOR #5882
NSA ReadyBrute bar with the ReadyBrake (it's a surge break setup that pulls a cable you run to your brake pedal). ~ $1000

Brackets: In my case, directly bolted on to the jeep bumper ~$200

Wire, electrical stuff and various little things probably another ~$300

I'm probably forgetting some things or may have already had them so I'd budget about $2000 for this setup. I highly recommend adjustable length tow bars (they loosen up to make it easy to connect, then click in place when you start to tow). Also surge breaks (like the ReadyBrake) are really simple and work well imo. But there are a lot of options here that can also get expensive.

Depending on your state, you might need additional setup like a break-away device (pulls your brake if the towed vehicle gets detached while towing).

I set up a little charger to keep my jeep charged while I am towing it. One of the best things I did also was to bypass the steering wheel lock so I don't have to have the key in the ignition. I always hated that step

Old 07-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
From your Owners Manual:

Make sure you have the right "Power Transfer Unit".

If so:

Baseplate - $500
Towbar - $100 - $1000
Light Kit - $100
Braking System - $700 - $1200

And then add labor of you don't do it yourself.
Add $50 for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit + $300 labor, that's what it cost in 2016.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:57 PM   #12

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
Great Advise

Thanks for all the great advice. Yes, I discovered that the Cherokee has three 4 wheel drive systems and only one can be flat towed, will check when we get home.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I did complete setup/install myself. Jeep Wrangler, manual transmission (easy-peasy). Transfer case in neutral... shifter in 2nd gear... Ignition switch in on-unlocked position... nothing is on and you can remove the key! Jeep battery is charged through the umbilical from the RV.

Blue Ox towbar found locally new in box on Craigslist, Blue Ox base plate, Invisibrake, tail light wiring kit with diodes, 7-pin connector for Jeep, all cables, wiring and safety cables, etc..... just over $1,800... busted knuckles, colorful language and 20-something son for helper not included.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #14

State: New York
THOR #18343
From what I gather, dirst of all like others have said unless you have a transfer case and can put it in nuetral you can’t flat tow any Jeep!
With that said I’m initially pricing the tow set up for my Cherokee, used blue ox tow bar $250, base plate new approximately $500, as far as lights considering magnetic light plugged into RV plug. Haven’t priced or found if I need a braking system.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
A word of caution to new readers about buying a used tow bar. Apparently they are easily damaged if it was not serviced regularly or was involved in an accident (like someone rear ending a connected towed). Just my opinion, but I would not consider purchasing such a critical component with an unknown history just to save a couple of hundred dollars. Of course I wouldn’t consider towing a car without brakes (transferring my Stay in Play to my 2,300lb Spark this week) so perhaps I’m unusually conservative when it comes to towing. Others feel differently!
Old 07-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
A word of caution to new readers about buying a used tow bar. Apparently they are easily damaged if it was not serviced regularly or was involved in an accident (like someone rear ending a connected towed). Just my opinion, but I would not consider purchasing such a critical component with an unknown history just to save a couple of hundred dollars. Of course I wouldn’t consider towing a car without brakes (transferring my Stay in Play to my 2,300lb Spark this week) so perhaps I’m unusually conservative when it comes to towing. Others feel differently!
Excellent advice... the towbar is a critical component in the system. Mine was NEW... a guy was rear ended while towing, and he wound up with 2 new towbars (insurance, etc.)... I didn't ask why, or how... none of my business. But it did save me a couple hundred bucks on a high quality new towbar... still sealed up in the factory box!
Old 07-16-2021, 03:03 AM   #17

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
We have a 2018 fourwinds 28z and tow a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. With the blue ox tow bar, base plate, brake system, lights and I wanted a shield to protect my car from stones it cost about $5000 for it to also be installed. I can set it up and take it down my self. I also do most of the driving. Both vehicles are our forever vehicles so I didn’t want to skimp on anything. It has been well worth the expense for the peace of mind that I feel safe when driving at 70 miles/hr. Hope you figure out what works best for you.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #10717
I thuoght a lot about the flat tow option but decided to just do a dual axle 17 ft trailer. Yes, its a PITA to move/store, but its very stable and safe. I have ran over curbs/small trees with it (not on purpose) and its really tough. I probably would have damaged my car a few times with flat towing. Also, it gives you flexibility to take other stuff besides just your car. Just my 2 cents in deciding- good luck!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #19

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I thuoght a lot about the flat tow option but decided to just do a dual axle 17 ft trailer. Yes, its a PITA to move/store, but its very stable and safe. I have ran over curbs/small trees with it (not on purpose) and its really tough. I probably would have damaged my car a few times with flat towing. Also, it gives you flexibility to take other stuff besides just your car. Just my 2 cents in deciding- good luck!
I like your reasoning.
- Plus, you can legitimately “back-up” when in tight spots. Which you really cannot do while pulling a Toad 4-down

But, as you stated, what many Toad owners do not like about the dual axel flat trailer option is that now you’ve got 3 “vehicles” to deal with.
So it’s one more vehicle to store when in a tight RV park.