Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1805
thor axis 2015

Has anyone recently purchased a thor axix. We're very disappointed with the quality of this New Style rv. We have a laundry list of thing wrong with this motorhome. If you intend on purchasing one,BUYER BEWARE. I would have made a different choice if I knew what I know now. The quality control at the factory needs a lot of attention!!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Love our Axis. Have had it just over a year now with no major issues to speak of.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #23

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Love our Axis. Have had it just over a year now with no major issues to speak of.
Same here. Have had ours since last July and only a few minor things that were corrected easily enough. Very satisfied owner with 4000 miles and enjoy it more each time we take it out.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I think I'm starting to see a pattern here: someone gets one of those "built on a Friday" coaches (the ones with the truly horrible issues like slides that fall apart requiring redesigns, etc.) and starts looking around the Internet for help. They discover forums like this one with other people reporting major issues with their "built on a Friday" coach and jump to the conclusion that all coaches have major issues (in some cases go so far as to suggest a class action lawsuit). Clearly, though, all coaches aren't "built on a Friday" as there are four other workweek days (that would be an interesting plot: camper issues based on weekday). Thus there are many people out there happily using that very same model of unit (perhaps it was even built right next to theirs).

Unfortunately buying a brand new camper of any kind is like playing the lottery where the odd "winner" is the really crappy camper. In addition, if you happen to win the lottery twice and end up with a crappy dealer as well then you are in for a whole world of hurt...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #25

THOR #1123
Well said, Jamie.

I feel bad for those folks who have the bad experience and wish the overall quality of the RV industry was better, and hopefully; it will be some day.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
So, how many of you like my dash upgrade?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #27

THOR #1123
Quite nice.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #28

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yes, and nice nudge to get the thread back on track, too
Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I certainly am guilty of thread de-railing as well, so it's just a gentle nudge to get it back on track.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #30

Model: c class 31l
State: Louisiana
THOR #2841
storage compartment template- how can i request a templet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Often as RV'ers we have gadgets that need to be attached to the dash and there is no room. For example, I recently acquired a RVIBrake2 system for my toad and need a place on the dash for the remote.

The remote is connected to a cigarette lighter/auxillarly power port. This in itself is kind of neat, but unfortunately, the ports on the E-350/E-450 dash are low and not near the driver. As well, any other items you have; GPS or USB charging needs often use up those ports.

I have come up with a solution.

You E350/E450 owners know about the small storage compartment/coin holder on the dash - which is all but useless. If the upfitter option is ordered, this area will have 4 switches. If not, then it has this little storage compartment.

Fortunately, the storage compartment just snaps off from the front; but you need a dash removal tool to get it to pop off (actually, I have already popped it off and did not want to snap it back in for the photo).

So I had a custom panel made from a company that can make them to your specifications and with a single quantity. The name of the company is FrontPanelExpress.com - and no - I do not have an affiliation with them - other than being a customer.

They have a designer software you can download that allows you to design a panel, and even order it from the app.

This is the panel I came up with:

I ordered one with the cutouts for the components I am installing, and one blank panel for future use.

And in the photo below, the panel as attached to the dash and populated with the various components:

It recesses perfectly into the void left from removing the storage bin in the E-450 dash. I have not verified the E-350 dash but I am assuming it will be applicable to that dash as well. Also, this is a 2011 model dash, but it will likely fit other years (2009 to present) of the current model E-350/E-450.

The items I installed - from left-to-right are;

• Cigarette Lighter/Aux Power port for the RVIBrake2 remote.
  • USB Charging port.
  • DC Voltmeter.
  • Switch.
At present, I am wiring the power source to the existing Cigarette Lighter so it is on all the time - which is why I put in the power switch.

However, in the future, I plan on running 12V from the house battery to the stereo system. When I do that, I'll change the switch so the voltmeter monitors either Vehicle or House battery.

I also ordered a couple of blank panels (cut to size for the void, but without any holes for any goodies) so that if my needs change, I can change the things sticking out of the panel.

This is the result after plugging in the brake remote:

I have a couple of templates available should you want to make one of these. Let me know if interested and I will provide a link whereby you can download them and use them as-is, or modify them for your own goodies. This is a freebie.

You simply load the template into the panel designer and go from there.

If course, you will have to buy the panel from Front Panel Express, but you can use my templates as you wish. The panel itself cost about $30, which is a bit on the expensive side, but not for a professional result.

One caveat. The radius of the panel is just a bit off from the radius of the dash. But it is not noticeable and I have determined it's close enough for my needs. You can print out the panel from the template if you wish and change the radius slightly if you want perfect.

The 8 holes are spaced so that they are in front of plastic behind the panel so you can use #6 sheet metal screws, etc. to fasten the panel down.

Let me know if you want one of the templates.
And...

I am designing a template for other areas of the dash for other future functions.
I would like to get the template-how?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: since this thread dates back four years: Do these modifications still work for the newer models?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Quite nice.
Oh, yes. And thanks for the links.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Ford E450 Custom Upper Dash Panel.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 AM   #34

Brand: Cruiser
State: Texas
THOR #12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
The one I labeled "Audio Jack" is where Ford puts the Traction Control System ON/OFF switch for so-equipped vehicles.

There is also a rear fan speed adjustment switch for the HVAC system for a rear fan as an option, and it goes under the existing fan switch for the front (left lower side of the dash).

For the "lower switch area", ford puts the USB/Audio jack from the factory stereo (if it has that option) in the top part, and an Passenger Airbag ON/OFF switch in the lower section if that option was ordered.

In this lower switch area, I have the little button at the top and blank at the bottom so I don't the audio jack or the airbag switch. but when I look behind the area, I have 2 connectors with wiring. Is this wiring for the jack and the switch?