Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Ford/Thor Warranty and Suspension Modifications

I am hoping this forum is being monitored by Reps from THOR or FORD. I think this will be the best place to ask the question (hopefully based on member experience or THOR or FORD Representative).

We just purchased a 2021 ACE 33.1

I did some readings from this forum about enhancements to the suspension on this coach to make the driving more stable. I am decided on replacing the Front Stabilizer, adding Rear Stabilizer and adding Sumo Springs Front and Rear.

Before we signed the documents, I asked the finance manager if doing such additions/modifications will VOID the warranty. He said YES. Unless I have those done by their In-House technicians and purchase the parts through their shop. That will cover the factory warranty.

So what is the true deal with the warranty via FORD and THOR?

I really think the upgrades I mentioned above will greatly improve the safety and handling of our coach.

What you all think???

Old 11-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I think your dealer is trying to rip you off.

To answer your question you need to call fords rv department. Thor does not warranty the suspension

I did lots of mods to my suspension. I wasn't worried about ford not honoring the warranty

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I agree with halfprice, Ford is warrantying the suspension, not Thor and I doubt that Ford will deny a warranty claim based on industry standard suspension modifications.

Having said that, make sure before you do anything, that the suspension is ok. Look at the thread https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...des-24306.html, not that Ford will do anything about a nose down attitude. Them is just the breaks. Get it aligned, correctly.

David
Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I am hoping this forum is being monitored by Reps from THOR or FORD. I think this will be the best place to ask the question (hopefully based on member experience or THOR or FORD Representative).

I did some readings from this forum about enhancements to the suspension on this coach to make the driving more stable. I am decided on replacing the Front Stabilizer, adding Rear Stabilizer and adding Sumo Springs Front and Rear.

Before we signed the documents, I asked the finance manager if doing such additions/modifications will VOID the warranty. He said YES. Unless I have those done by their In-House technicians and purchase the parts through their shop. That will cover the factory warranty.

I really think the upgrades I mentioned above will greatly improve the safety and handling of our coach.

What you all think???
First of all Thor MC is not certified to do any chassis modifications. To modify the Ford F-53 chassis in any way requires a training course and mechanic certification by Ford. Drawings, material specifications, mechanic/welder certification must also the submitted for approval prior to any modification. Again Thor Inc. does not posses any of these certifications. All Thor MC, Jayco MC and Entegra Coach chassis (Ford, Freightliner and Sparain) are modified by MorRyde International. Only MorRyde posses the engineers and fabricators to modify the chassis. Thor Inc send the house specifications to MorRyde and they do the design and modification to the specified chassis.

By the way, Ford's super duty truck division in Louisville or Ford's medium duty truck division in Avon Lake does not assemble the F53 chassis. F-53 stripped chassis has always been assembled by Detroit Chassis in Detroit, Michigan. Detroit Chassis licensed and certified by Ford so you get the standard Ford truck stripped chassis warranty.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I did all those suspension changes in my Outlaw 29H and never had any issues with Thor or Ford. I did all of the work myself.

Your dealer is either an idiot or trying to make you spend money with them.

But as other have said..... it is Ford who warranties the chassis.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
2021? Do you have the new V-8 chassis and improved suspension?
If so, everything you have read about the previous F53 chassis may not apply to what you have.

Warranties are not voided by modifications or improvements unless the warranty provider can prove the modification or non-standard part caused the failure of the warrantied part.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:12 AM   #7

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Hi there. Yes. It is a 2021 model with the New V8 engine. How would
I know if ours have the improved suspension? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
2021? Do you have the new V-8 chassis and improved suspension?
If so, everything you have read about the previous F53 chassis may not apply to what you have.

Warranties are not voided by modifications or improvements unless the warranty provider can prove the modification or non-standard part caused the failure of the warrantied part.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi there. Yes. It is a 2021 model with the New V8 engine. How would
I know if ours have the improved suspension? Thanks.
If you have the V8 you have the upgraded chassis.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have had my coach in for Ford warranty work and they said nothing about the chassis mods I have done. The tech was complimentary on the mods and proceeded to fix my steering box with no charge to me.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Like what was mentioned unless the modifications can be proven to cause damage shouldn’t have any affect on the warranty. You are basically just replacing the parts that will wear out at some point in the future anyways. If you are talking about modifying the frame, adding a supercharger or something then sure at that point your warranty can be voided.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:29 AM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
That was a great video on the ford chassis and engines.

Paul
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Jph

State: Alabama
THOR #17238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I have had my coach in for Ford warranty work and they said nothing about the chassis mods I have done. The tech was complimentary on the mods and proceeded to fix my steering box with no charge to me.
Just curious what they did to your steering box? My F53 chassis is like steering a wagon. Is your fix related to poor steering?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #20823
steering upgrade

I am relatively new to the RV world and have a 2020 Thor Hurricane 35m, after reading a lot of articles I installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabiliser to my Motorhome, It was a huge improvement, easy to install and not very expensive approx $500 but the motorhome drives much better, I noticed a huge improvement when passing 18 wheelers on a 2 and 4 lane road with very little drag and pull as they passed at 60 mph, it feels much more secure and less boat like when driving. Sorry if this is ild news but i feel any new owners could greatly appreciate the upgrade.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #18721
suspension improvements

before you replace the stabilizer bars...
I adjusted - tightened up both the front and rear stabilizer bars and it was a positive difference in handling on my 2018 ACE 29.3
there are several videos online on how to do this - took us less then a hour and no cost !
Old 12-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:

What you all think???
I never even considered asking anyone about voiding the warranty on our 2018 Windsport 29m. I didn't like the way it handled even tho it was not terrible. It swayed and wind or trucks would move it when they passed us. The first thing I did myself was install Sumo Springs on the front. Made a HUGE DIFFERENCE---DO THAT FIRST!! Then I got a RoadMaster rear anti-sway bar. Tried to install it myself but I could not break the bolts with my impact gun so Camping World installed it for about $100. That was a deal. Then this summer I thought it could use new shocks, so I got the recommended one's from Bilstein and I installed them myself too after CW wanted over $1000 to install them. I ordered all 4 on line for just over $400. Two days later with the help of a 12 ton bottle jack they were on and our coach drives and handles like our Volvo!! NOT REALY but you know what I mean! Try the Sumo's on the front first before you spend money on a stabilizer. You may think like me it's not needed?? Bob Trice
Old 12-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Ford Motor Company is only concerned with cutting or welding on the frame rails and modifying the suspension as installed for the Ford chassis for warranty. Bolt on items including hitches and drilling of small holes (3/4" or smaller) should not effect the warranty. The frame rails are made of work hardened steel welding and special high carbon steel in the heavier coaches. Welding the rails improperly or cutting the rails in inappropriate places could damage the rails. Removing or adding spring's leaves or changing shackles also could effect the chassis warranty.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM   #17

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Like what was mentioned unless the modifications can be proven to cause damage shouldn’t have any affect on the warranty. You are basically just replacing the parts that will wear out at some point in the future anyways. If you are talking about modifying the frame, adding a supercharger or something then sure at that point your warranty can be voided.

FYI adding a supercharger won’t void your warranty. As a past Ford Service Director I’ve even seen Ford have to replace an aftermarket blower since the engine was determined to be the cause of its malfunction... along with the engine.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:24 AM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But if that blower causes the engine to pop: you'll have some trouble...