Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Four Winds 24F swivel seat.

I finally installed a passenger swivel base in my 2017 FW 24F. It took a little over an hour to do.

I ordered this base:

https://shop4seats.com/van-seats/van...-oem-seat.html

And this video was helpful. I installed it exactly like this guy did. In his notes he has a complete list of tools needed. T55 can be found at Home Depot for about $3.00

No blood was shed, no foul language was used and I didn’t get to my second my beer. Wife is going to be happy although the cat will probably claim it as her perch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	26901

Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Looks good. We did Driver and Passenger seats in our 24F. Love them.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #24342
Four Winds 24F swivel seat.

Just bought a 2018 FW 24F. I didn't catch the years of your coaches and was hoping this base will work on mine.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #4

THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew777 View Post
Just bought a 2018 FW 24F. I didn't catch the years of your coaches and was hoping this base will work on mine.
Ours is a 2017 E450.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190105_163945116.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	32306  
Old 08-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #24342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
Ours is a 2017 E450.
"Looks awesome! Thanks!"
Old 08-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #6

State: Ontario
THOR #24601
Can you please tell me what you did with the plug-in harness under the seat? Do you unplug it when you swivel the seat or did you have another option?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:02 AM   #7

THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop&Doc View Post
Can you please tell me what you did with the plug-in harness under the seat? Do you unplug it when you swivel the seat or did you have another option?
The harnesses are originally clipped to the underside of the seat frame. I unclipped them to gain full length. The new swivels had access hole to bring the harness from the floor up through the swivel. Plug the harness together again. Seats will only easily swivel 180 in one direction, route the harness on the side that the seat swivels forward and backward. With some trial and error I found the right length to leave free and zip tied the extra to the seat frame and springs. No extension of stock harness needed and 2+ years of dozens of swivels with no issues.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

THOR #24601
Quote:
The harnesses are originally clipped to the underside of the seat frame. I unclipped them to gain full length. The new swivels had access hole to bring the harness from the floor up through the swivel. Plug the harness together again. Seats will only easily swivel 180 in one direction, route the harness on the side that the seat swivels forward and backward. With some trial and error I found the right length to leave free and zip tied the extra to the seat frame and springs. No extension of stock harness needed and 2+ years of dozens of swivels with no issues.
This is all so very helpful! Thank you. Where did you purchase your swivel base from? I’m in Canada and am looking for someone who will ship here.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:10 AM   #9

THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop&Doc View Post
Where did you purchase your swivel base from? I’m in Canada and am looking for someone who will ship here.
I bought ours from Sportsmobile. Do not see on their website that they offer them yet. Shopforseats has them, but years are older.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Model: 24HE
State: Michigan
THOR #25539
I went to the link you posted to shop4seats and it showed a swivel seat for 96-06. Did this actually fit your 2017 w/o modifying the product or drilling holes in seat or chassis?

I have a 2019 24HE Ford E-350 and am thinking if this swivel worked on your 2017 then there is a good chance it will work on the 2019 as well. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #11

THOR #24601
Ours is a 2018 Ford 450. Before I ordered, I measured the existing bolt distances to make sure they were the same configuration. I’m in Canada and had trouble finding someone who would ship a swivel base up here. I ended up ordering one from the link below. I decided on a heavy duty base as I wanted to make sure it could take the workload of moving it. I only did the passenger side as I didn’t want the hassle of having to deal with the steering wheel on the drivers side.

The only issue with the one we have is that it doesn’t have a hole up through the base to bring up the wiring attachment for the air bag from the floor to the bottom of the seat. It’s not a big deal, but I did have to extend the harness slightly and use some zip ties to keep it out of the way. In the future, I might take the seat to a machine shop and get them to drill a hole for the wiring.

The project was easy to do. I’m a middle aged chick and this was totally within my wheelhouse.

https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvv...dseatbases.htm
Old 12-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #12

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
I went to the link you posted to shop4seats and it showed a swivel seat for 96-06. Did this actually fit your 2017 w/o modifying the product or drilling holes in seat or chassis?

I have a 2019 24HE Ford E-350 and am thinking if this swivel worked on your 2017 then there is a good chance it will work on the 2019 as well. Thank you.
Me three!! Looking at this closely...
Old 12-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #13

THOR #16721
I looked at the video closely... I have a 2020 Chateau 24F, and those bases look nearly identical to mine. I've already had my cab seats out twice... once when I modified the driver position using Unistrut rails, and again when installing Dynamat sound deadener on the entire cab floor under the rubber mat.

This looks VERY "doable" in our coach. I have been exploring replacing the dinette with theater seats... but just too many obstacles... water heater, etc. But THIS just may be the answer to our "lounging" issues!! I'll build a small portable "console/cup holder" to fit between the seats - and BINGO. Mount a small TV on the side of the wardrobe closet... YESSSS!!

THANK YOU so much for posting this!! Solved my problem!
Old 12-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #14

THOR #25539
Thank you for sharing your experience. I contacted the vendor at the link you shared and ordered a standard swivel. Vendor says they have them in stock (yeah!). I am "hoping" to be able to install plate over the top of the rubber & insulation to maintain reduction of noise from underneath. I am excited to add this feature!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #15

THOR #16721
The fellow in the video had a good point about getting the seat bottom plate in good contact with the metal floor. I might suggest if you have insulation (or Dynamat, etc.) to remove it, then re-apply it under the seat after installed. I think the seat will be more rigid that way, and you'll still have the same insulation quality. JMHO...
Old 12-17-2021, 01:29 AM   #16

THOR #25539
That is a good suggestion and solves both concerns. I can do that. Thank you.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
My unit came with upgraded seats. I'm wondering if this would still work. If the bolt pattern to the seat itself is the same.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

THOR #25539
The link that was provided above is pasted below. It has bolt measurements that could help you resolve the bolt pattern concerns.

https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvv...dseatbases.htm
Old 12-30-2021, 02:27 AM   #19

THOR #25539
Ordered from the link posted from Cop&Doc and used tips from video from Jimbo12 & converted the passenger seat in Thor 24HE to swivel. Works great! Cut the rubber and insulation out and replaced with thin liner of black felt. This freed up the wiring to then come up the back of the swivel's base & provide plenty of wire to swivel w/o unplugging airbag. Also, seat will swivel w/o opening door. Just have to slide it further ahead at point where arm hits door. Relatively easy project & provides more seating in the cabin. Considering to do the driver seat now for when slide is out...

I would have never done this w/o the advice and resources of this forum. Thank you all so much!
Old 07-30-2023, 03:28 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #30390
Swivel Seat - 2019 Chateau 24F

Quote:
Looks good. We did Driver and Passenger seats in our 24F. Love them.
We sold our Coachman Freelander 20CB and I put a swivel kit on the passenger seat. We are now looking to buy a Chateau 24F and need to know if we can do that same on it. Can you tell me where you found the kit and anything that is unique about it? Thanks!