Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Propane quick connect help!

I got lured into buying a $65 Blackstone griddle knockoff at Aldi (go figure). It's actually pretty darn sturdy, and perfect size for two!

So I'm trying to adapt the low pressure quick connect I had setup on my Sam's Club table top grill. (See pics below).

First, the female threaded end is too large on the 1/4" nipple adapter. The Sam's Club grill had a male flare... this new griddle has NPT?? slightly tapered threaded male that measures 1/2" across the end threads.

I'm obviously not using the regulator in the pic... but I showed it to demonstrate the type of fitting they are using... that one's for the small propane bottles.

So... should I get a 1/2" NPT female to 1/4" quick connect nipple (not sure the correct name)?

I already have an existing hose - the quick connect end shown in pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230611_184057441.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	42359  

Old 06-11-2023, 07:46 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Sounds like you have the plan figured out. But doing that without a throttle valve just gives you uncontrolled flow to the grill resulting in high heat all the time.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:59 PM   #3

THOR #16721
The propane is low pressure at the connection point... regulator on the motorhome's propane tank.

I'm just wondering what adapter would work connecting the griddle to the extension hose. The threads measure 1/2" diameter.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:40 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The propane is low pressure at the connection point... regulator on the motorhome's propane tank.

I'm just wondering what adapter would work connecting the griddle to the extension hose. The threads measure 1/2" diameter.
That's a given.

But that same low pressure is also delivered to your stove inside. Don't those burners also have adjustment knobs so they are not going full flame all the time?

Your quick disconnect threads are 1/4 NPT. Don't know what the threads are on the piece you are unscrewing from the regulator. Might want to take your pieces/parts to your local propane/natural gas shop.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:59 PM   #5

THOR #16721
Gotcha... I think. There's a knob on the front for burner adjustment. It's a small Blackstone knockoff. The burner snakes around and looks like it will give pretty even coverage on the griddle plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230612_000033583.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	42364  
Old 06-12-2023, 12:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you checked to see if this will work

https://www.amazon.com/Uenede-Discon...6530646&sr=8-8
Old 06-12-2023, 12:57 AM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Have you checked to see if this will work

https://www.amazon.com/Uenede-Discon...6530646&sr=8-8
Thanks!
Just ordered... next is probably a lid.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:14 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
I got lured into buying a $65 Blackstone griddle knockoff at Aldi (go figure). It's actually pretty darn sturdy, and perfect size for two!

So I'm trying to adapt the low pressure quick connect I had setup on my Sam's Club table top grill. (See pics below).

First, the female threaded end is too large on the 1/4" nipple adapter. The Sam's Club grill had a male flare... this new griddle has NPT?? slightly tapered threaded male that measures 1/2" across the end threads.

I'm obviously not using the regulator in the pic... but I showed it to demonstrate the type of fitting they are using... that one's for the small propane bottles.

So... should I get a 1/2" NPT female to 1/4" quick connect nipple (not sure the correct name)?

I already have an existing hose - the quick connect end shown in pic.
The Tabletop Gas appliances that are easiest to convert from a high-pressure connection to a low-pressure connection mostly have the orifice internal to the piping in the stove. Blackstone grills in particular have a screw on flair type fitting that can either connect to the output from a regulator connected to a either a 1# disposable cylinder or a 20# gas grill tank with the appropriate connecter for the tank end. In both these cases the regulator is located near on in the part that connects to the tank or cylinder. From what I can see it appears that the output flame level control is part of the regulator assembly. If that is the case, then you may not be able to connect to a low-pressure source. One thing you can do is to take the bits that you need to adapt to the quick connect to a Lowes or Home Depot. Thes stores will have a display with various types and sizes of connectors that you can use to identify what you need. I just installed the quick connect behind the door that Thor began installing in 2019 an later ACE models. Mine is a 2018 which had the quick connect hanging below the body near the back of the coach. I was able to identify that I needed a connector with a 3/8" male NPT thread on one end and a 3/8" female flair swivel connector on the other. Lowes did not have that, but I was able to go into a custom hose shop in town and ask for exactly what I needed. Now I have a place to connect my propane Grill that is protected from the elements.

Personally, I just purchased a 17" Blackstone electric griddle on sale from Walmart. While it can be used indoors the intended use of this griddle is as an outdoors unit. It comes with a lid and has a nonstick griddle surface which will make cleaning easy. I also like the ability to set the griddle temperature and the fact that I do not have to worry about the wind blowing the flame out. I got the griddle simply because there are things that you simply cannot make on a grill that a griddle excels at for example Bacon and eggs with hash browns, pancakes and more.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:37 AM   #9

THOR #16721
I installed the propane quick connect myself on our motorhome. There was an extra hole on the distribution block that feeds the stove and furnace. I just added a short hose with a female quick connect coupling on the end. I bought a 20' ?? hose extension and adapter for my tabletop grill - I've used that setup for over a year. But the adapter didn't fit the new griddle.

I found I was using a flat griddle most often on the grill anyway... and this griddle is a little less bulky than the grill.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
If you do use NPT type fittings, I would apply either Teflon tape to the threads, or a suitable Teflon based sealant. Even though the tapered threads are designed not to leak, you're dealing with a gas, and those molecules are much smaller to find their way out.

When I added a secondary propane connection for the same idea, I used JIC type fittings, they have a tapered vee connection that can be capped off when not in use. Just the extra step of shutting tank off for connection, then turning it back on.

Best to be safe than sorry.

edit in:
Actually, I don't do it that way anymore, it happens to be a bit more convenient to carry a 20 lb bottle, and have the correct connection/regulator properly installed inline on the hose.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:41 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Just to say thanks EA37TS... got the adapter today and it fits perfectly!

Haven't leak checked yet, but that's on me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230613_203713631.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	42393  
Old 06-13-2023, 10:07 PM   #12

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28047
Connecting the same griddle from aldi's

Small world, I bought the same griddle from Aldi's and I'm trying to get it working as we speak for a trip starting this Saturday. I found the following on Amazon and it seems to fit both the griddle and the quick connect on my 2017 Thor Quantum RQ29 perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757KDDJC...roduct_details

My propane is on, I made sure the range burners and refrg are running on LP.

I opened the external propane gate, made sure it clicked all the way in line with the LP line, but i don't seem to be getting any LP to the griddle.

Is there another shutoff to the external line somewhere?

Any clues?

Bob H.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:18 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhardcas59 View Post
Small world, I bought the same griddle from Aldi's and I'm trying to get it working as we speak for a trip starting this Saturday. I found the following on Amazon and it seems to fit both the griddle and the quick connect on my 2017 Thor Quantum RQ29 perfectly.

I opened the external propane gate, made sure it clicked all the way in line with the LP line, but i don't seem to be getting any LP to the griddle.

Any clues?

Bob H.
Did you open the valve on the rv quick connect?
Old 06-14-2023, 12:32 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhardcas59 View Post

Any clues?

Bob H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Did you open the valve on the rv quick connect?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:56 AM   #15

THOR #16721
The female connector looks different on mine. For reference, the female connector on the motorhome is exactly the same as on the extension hose... and the male end on the extension hose is exactly like the adapter I purchased for the griddle.

I haven't tried mine yet (rain) but the same setup on my tabletop gas grill worked great.

Rain permitting, I'll test mine out tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230614_015031533.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	42398  
Old 06-14-2023, 02:12 AM   #16

THOR #16721
Just looking at your setup... if you have the exact same Aldi griddle, you shouldn't be using the regulator supplied with the grill. The propane supplied to your RV quick connect should be low pressure... meaning it's already been "regulated" to low pressure by your RVs tank regulator.

If you're using the grill's supplied regulator (pictured) it probably won't work. You'll need a hose with a female connector like the one in the previous post. That's probably the type connector on your motorhome.

Notice the pic in post #11 showing the connector screwed directly to the grill connector... NOT using the regulator supplied with the grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230614_020259703.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	42399  
Old 06-14-2023, 01:07 PM   #17

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28047
Griddle connection help

That must be the problem. I was using the supplied connection you pictured above with the regulator. So since we have the same setup, please summarize for me, what connections do I need on the hose and the connection to the griddle? If you have Amazon links that would be awesome.

And yes to others, yes the propane on the connector is on, you can tell because it clicks into place in line with the connector.

Bob H.
Old 06-14-2023, 06:51 PM   #18

THOR #16721
Just hooked mine up... and SAME issue. No propane flow.

So I hooked up my older tabletop grill and bingo! Worked just fine.

On investigating, I found a spring loaded valve inside the 1/4" adapter I just got from Amazon... see pic. It's a little valve that must be pushed in for gas to flow. Must be a Blackstone thing ??

Looking inside the male threaded pipe sticking out of the griddle, there's nothing inside to push that valve (on the female adapter) open when threaded on. I'm thinking the Blackstone griddle has a little tang in there??

So I'm back to researching... there are NO propane gadget stores close to me, short of Lowe's, Menards etc. And I REALLY don't feel like carrying that griddle around to find fittings!!

I found a Gaspro version on Amazon for $12 that may work. It includes a shutoff connector which I don't need.

Another option is to get the common 1/4" male connector with 1/4" male NPT threads - then go to Lowe's and get a brass female adapter. Looks like the keywords are "full flow plug".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230614_183315950.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	42403  
Old 06-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #19

THOR #16721
So I'm returning the Blackstone specific adapter, and purchased the following two items on Amazon:

DozyAnt Propane Quick Connect Fitting Adapter- Full Flow Male Plug x 1/4" Male NPT for RV Portable BBQ https://a.co/d/foGcM09

Sanpaint 2 Pack 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Coupler, Brass Female Pipe Fitting https://a.co/d/5cYU4ur

I couldn't find a full flow male quick connect adapter with 1/4" female NPT threads. The common item seems to be male threads... so I just got a female coupling... had to get 2.

Fingers crossed...
Old 06-14-2023, 08:34 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
So I'm returning the Blackstone specific adapter, and purchased the following two items on Amazon:

DozyAnt Propane Quick Connect Fitting Adapter- Full Flow Male Plug x 1/4" Male NPT for RV Portable BBQ https://a.co/d/foGcM09

Sanpaint 2 Pack 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Coupler, Brass Female Pipe Fitting https://a.co/d/5cYU4ur

I couldn't find a full flow male quick connect adapter with 1/4" female NPT threads. The common item seems to be male threads... so I just got a female coupling... had to get 2.

Fingers crossed...
That’s what I had to do to covert my Weber Q if I remember correctly.