Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Smile And yet, another Mod

We’ve been planning on a trip to South Dakota in June. I wanted to complete my suspension mods prior to leaving. I’ve always tried to do my own work on my vehicles, whether it was on a Corvette or an RV.
Last month I installed Sumo Springs and a Roadmaster sway-bar on the front of my E450 chassis. For the most part, these installations went smoothly and only took a few hours.
So today was the day to install the rear Roadmaster sway-bar.
I store my RV in my backyard, which is basically dirt. The tires however, sit on 4’x4’ 3/4” exterior plywood.
My original plan was to raise the rear end of the RV 8 to 10 inches so I’d have a little more room to work underneath. To do this, I was planing to put my 8 ton bottle jack under the differential, raise the vehicle and the put two 6 ton jack stands under the rear end. Even though I had put a 6’ 2x10 under the bottle jack to support it, when I tried to raise the rear of the RV, all I did was to proceed burying the 2x10 into the dirt. Guess my plan wasn’t so good after all.
So, plan B, was to use the available space to crawl under the RV and change out the sway-bar.
The instructions from Roadmaster suggest that this is a two man project. Since there was only me, I went forward.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E870E20-0D50-4301-98C5-A9702008FA7A.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	17809
Now, this can be done by one person and do it safely, but, after installing the sway-bar by myself, I don’t recommend it to others. Especially when the person installing it by themselves is over 70. Pain pill and muscle relaxer tonight
This was my wake up call. Any major chassis or engine work in the future will be contracted out to a professional.
I’m gonna stick to the minor mods from here on out.

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #42

THOR #12827
Outdoor cook table

In an earlier post to this thread, I stated that I had removed the outdoor TV and reinstalled it in the bedroom. I also stated that I wanted to use the bay the TV was previously in for a fold out table to be used for outdoor cooking.
The TT we had prior to the Class C had a full outdoor kitchen. I used it all the time when camping and missed it with this RV.
After several months of planning, I came up with a design that partially fits my needs. I had several challenges to overcome. The table had to be long enough to be useful. It had to be able to fold up so it would fit in the bay space available. It had to be thin enough to be able to close the hatch door. I had approximately 4” of depth to work with. The outboard supporting leg had to be collapsible. And it had to be strong enough to support the weight of a cook surface and the pots, pans, utensils and whatever I was cooking.
The cook surface I chose is an Inducto 2 burner portable induction cooktop. It will sit on the table and plug into the outlet formerly used by the outdoor TV.
I built the table from 20” wide wood panels intend for building home cabinets. Got these from from Lowe’s. When extended, the table is 20” wide 55” long and 3/4” thick.
My design is not perfect. I’ve had to add reinforcements to make it stable. But it’s a good first shot. I may make a few design improvements in the future.
Here are a few photos.

Name:	C4D105B7-EA4C-4DE1-9A59-BDC475185CD3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	18582

Name:	933AF4C4-0C7A-4B1B-B66B-7B82FFC169D8.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	18583

Name:	BB673587-F45C-4659-8A46-22C46B9BBD88.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	18584

Name:	C821C2D6-60BA-4B7E-86A6-FC2D9A320183.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	18585

We used the table several times on our recent South Dakota trip. It worked well.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #43
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
In an earlier post to this thread, I stated that I had removed the outdoor TV and reinstalled it in the bedroom. I also stated that I wanted to use the bay the TV was previously in for a fold out table to be used for outdoor cooking.
The TT we had prior to the Class C had a full outdoor kitchen. I used it all the time when camping and missed it with this RV.
After several months of planning, I came up with a design that partially fits my needs. I had several challenges to overcome. The table had to be long enough to be useful. It had to be able to fold up so it would fit in the bay space available. It had to be thin enough to be able to close the hatch door. I had approximately 4” of depth to work with. The outboard supporting leg had to be collapsible. And it had to be strong enough to support the weight of a cook surface and the pots, pans, utensils and whatever I was cooking.
The cook surface I chose is an Inducto 2 burner portable induction cooktop. It will sit on the table and plug into the outlet formerly used by the outdoor TV.
I built the table from 20” wide wood panels intend for building home cabinets. Got these from from Lowe’s. When extended, the table is 20” wide 55” long and 3/4” thick.
My design is not perfect. I’ve had to add reinforcements to make it stable. But it’s a good first shot. I may make a few design improvements in the future.
Here are a few photos.
Attachment 18582

Attachment 18583

Attachment 18584

Attachment 18585

We used the table several times on our recent South Dakota trip. It worked well.
Perhaps you should be designing rvs!!
Great mods
Old 06-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #44

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Perhaps you should be designing rvs!!
Great mods
Thanks.
I worked in business aircraft completion for over 30 years before retirement. So I have some background in this type of thing.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #45
Cpd

THOR #14097
Wish my hubby did! There'sots I'd like to change but....
Old 07-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #46

THOR #12827
Latest Mod

The Thetford toilet that came in our RV was a problem for us from the start. To us, it had a weird shape and was uncomfortable to sit on. DW’s back and knee issues demanded a change.
We preferred the elongated bowl type, like found in a residence.
I ended up purchasing a Dometic 320 series low profile toilet.
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Profi...ay&sr=8-2&th=1
I had to go with the low profile because the existing toilet sits on a platform.
Before:

Name:	6C90FF05-9BDB-47B7-8E46-5A5F2F08C5CC.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	18787

After:

Name:	2192DB7D-39A0-4AD1-AEAC-C53345333D7D.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	18788
Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #47

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Here are a few photos.
Attachment 18582

Attachment 18583

Attachment 18584

Attachment 18585

This looks really good nice work
Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 AM   #48

THOR #12827
A couple of simple Mods

I'm sure others have noticed that the under body storage compartments are not necessarily weather tight. Shortly after we bought our RV, I discovered that, even with door seals, water was getting into about half of my storage compartments and pooling on the bottom. Of course, anything porous sitting in these compartments soaked up some of the water. In my case, a canvas tool bag was soaked in water and caused some of the tools to start rusting. I tried tightening up the latches but this only partially worked.

So, I decided to put some drain holes in the bottom of the compartments. I drilled several 3/16 holes at the locations of the pooling water.

Name:	IMG_2686.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	18888

Name:	IMG_2689-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	18889
This has worked well and I have not noticed any water ingress through these holes.

When we did the PDI on our RV, I was initially pleased to see a fairly large door to the under sink cabinet in the Bathroom.

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	18890
This quickly turned to disappointment when I opened the door.

Name:	IMG_2678.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	18891
Recently, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to see what was behind the lower panel. I was amazed (not really) to find that 1. The panel was just a flimsy piece of veneer, held in place with two screws at the bottom only. I could actually push the top of the panel in. and 2. All that was in the lower compartment was two water lines at the far back and a wire.

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	18892
I fabricated some close out panels from 1/8" hardboard and installed them.
It turned out well and now I have additional storage for TP etc.

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	18893

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	18894
Old 07-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #49

THOR #6433
Quote:
I'm sure others have noticed that the under body storage compartments are not necessarily weather tight. Shortly after we bought our RV, I discovered that, even with door seals, water was getting into about half of my storage compartments and pooling on the bottom. Of course, anything porous sitting in these compartments soaked up some of the water. In my case, a canvas tool bag was soaked in water and caused some of the tools to start rusting. I tried tightening up the latches but this only partially worked.

So, I decided to put some drain holes in the bottom of the compartments. I drilled several 3/16 holes at the locations of the pooling water.

Attachment 18888
Attachment 18889
This has worked well and I have not noticed any water ingress through these holes.

When we did the PDI on our RV, I was initially pleased to see a fairly large door to the under sink cabinet in the Bathroom.
Attachment 18890
This quickly turned to disappointment when I opened the door.
Attachment 18891
Recently, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to see what was behind the lower panel. I was amazed (not really) to find that 1. The panel was just a flimsy piece of veneer, held in place with two screws at the bottom only. I could actually push the top of the panel in. and 2. All that was in the lower compartment was two water lines at the far back and a wire.
Attachment 18892
I fabricated some close out panels from 1/8" hardboard and installed them.
It turned out well and now I have additional storage for TP etc.
Attachment 18893
Attachment 18894
Looks good. Funny thing our 2017 bathroom cabinet came that way
Old 07-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #50

THOR #6433
So it sucked having everything fall out of the cabinets in the bathroom. So I made these lips, been in there for a couple of years and never got around to staining them but they keep the mess in there. Please don’t judge on the amount of junk.

Also made this stair cover a while ago after I almost lost a passenger when they were trying to go to the bathroom on a trip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E32430D0-3C23-4116-8B66-4FB5A6676578.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	18895   Click image for larger version

Name:	650B4F66-027C-46C8-85D5-F7E03424B614.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	18896  

Old 07-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #51

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
So it sucked having everything fall out of the cabinets in the bathroom. So I made these lips, been in there for a couple of years and never got around to staining them but they keep the mess in there. Please don’t judge on the amount of junk.

Also made this stair cover a while ago after I almost lost a passenger when they were trying to go to the bathroom on a trip
Great ideas. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #52

THOR #6433
Quote:
Great ideas. Thanks for the input.
Thank you and you are welcome. I was going to put dividers in the cabinet but it got filled before that happened.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 AM   #53

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
THOR #6012
Please tell me the part numbers for your Recpro electric loveseat recliners. Also, my panel has switches for fresh water and gray water heat pads but there are no heat pads installed. Is it difficult to install the heating pads?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #54

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Please tell me the part numbers for your Recpro electric loveseat recliners. Also, my panel has switches for fresh water and gray water heat pads but there are no heat pads installed. Is it difficult to install the heating pads?
I don’t have the part number available, but here is the link to the RecPro powered recliner/love seat. I ordered mine in the Putty color because it was the closest match to the other furniture.
https://www.recpro.com/recpro-charle...a-rv-loveseat/
I can’t help you with the heating pads as my RV wasn’t provisioned for them.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #55

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:

Here are a few photos.
Attachment 18582

Attachment 18583

Attachment 18584

Attachment 18585

WoW! Well done! I had actually thought of reversing the tv hatch so it opened down. Then cutting a closet rod or 2x4 for a support leg. It would be small, but a built in table & still have the tv. We actually enjoyed sitting outside watching on those warm Arizona evenings in February/March.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #56

THOR #12827
Replaced external Surge protection

When we had our TT, I purchased a portable Surge Guard for our surge protection. I kept it when we traded the TT in for the motor home.

Name:	85D220B3-B473-42A8-875B-4C88695FEECC.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	19224
The Surge Guard was starting it’s 6th year and I decided to replace it with a internally mounted EMS.
I chose the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C because it has been given a high rating by users and has the external display.
On my motorhome, the power cable and the transfer switch are located in a storage compartment just behind the generator and below the driver’s side slideout.
Therefore this seemed to be a logical place for the EMS too.

Name:	F55C1791-3F36-4DB5-9476-4E61E30BFA6C.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	19225

Name:	79569863-9798-4B2F-9F75-6E4FAA771178.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	19226

Name:	FB6E5E34-37B1-4465-A0BC-D991EAFA237B.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	19227
I have temporarily mounted the display next to the EMS box because I have yet to figure out a way to route the cable inside the motorhome without drilling a hole through the floor if possible. This part of the mod will have to wait until cooler temperatures in the fall.
I have also made an appointment at Quadra Manufacturing to have the Big Foot levelers installed. I will post photos of that when the time comes.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #57

THOR #12827
Backup Camera

In order to keep all the Mods I have made to our MH in one place, I am providing a link to a backup camera Mod that I had posted as a stand-alone thread under a different heading.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ess-18477.html
I won’t go into any details here unless there are any comments/questions on the Mod
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #58
Cpd

THOR #14097
You sure would be my hero if you could figure out something for the rsf dining bench area. SO hate that thing.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #59

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
You sure would be my hero if you could figure out something for the rsf dining bench area. SO hate that thing.
Need more info. Dining bench in what MH?
You need to list your make, model, year RV in your signature.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #60
Cpd

THOR #14097
Same as yours....love the mods. Want so badly to take out the dining and replace with a table and chairs.